C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1979 Hood rusted latch won't open

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2019, 10:20 AM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Default 1979 Hood rusted latch won't open

On my car the hood won't open due to the latch being frozen solid with rust. Is there a way I can access it from the bottom or front? I don't mind removing things if need be. I have been spraying it with PB blaster but I am mirroring my actions on the passenger latch and it still won't move. The passenger side is popped as it has been for the past 25 years or so. Picture of frozen latch below.

even with pliers it won't budge
Old 04-09-2019, 12:50 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by cambamsyt
On my car the hood won't open due to the latch being frozen solid with rust. Is there a way I can access it from the bottom or front? I don't mind removing things if need be. I have been spraying it with PB blaster but I am mirroring my actions on the passenger latch and it still won't move. The passenger side is popped as it has been for the past 25 years or so. Picture of frozen latch below.

even with pliers it won't budge
There are a couple of things you can do. My hood was stuck on last week after I was messing with the latch placement.
If you have long arms like I do, you can lay next to the car with your left shoulder under the vent and reach up through to grab the latch and move it. You can also use a wooden dowl through the second vent from the front to push the lever.
If that doesn't work (like mine didn't), you can take the hinge bolts off the front of the hood and lift the front to move it around while an accomplice actuates the release.

Getting the bolts off is a bit of a pain. There are two on each side. To access the front one, go under behind the headlight. To get the back one, you have to take the front wheel off and go through the opening on the fender well. Once you get those off you can lift the front about 2 inches and move it around to try to unlatch it while pulling the lever.

Hopefully that helps
Old 04-09-2019, 02:07 PM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

Thanks for the info Scott, I will be removing the hinge bolts as you describe. It's not that I can't hit the lever. The lever is frozen with rust to the shaft.
Old 04-09-2019, 04:40 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

Early models and later Models C-3 BOTH have a from-the-factory emergency release procedure.

Late model is....look under the rear edge of the hood...wiper area. On the firewall are two push-in black plugs, one near each latch.
Push the plugs into the engine compt. With a bent screw driver (to clear the hood edge) probe around and you will find the latch releases..pry/pop! and your'e in.
Bet you never asked yourself WHAT ARE THOSE PLUGS FOR? Now you know!

I'm going to hell now! lol

UnkaHal
Old 04-10-2019, 06:03 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

Try getting a ratcheting combo wrench and unbolting striker plate from hood. Or long sawzall blade and cut the striker off.

Last edited by derekderek; 04-10-2019 at 06:05 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 02:21 PM
blk79nj
Pro

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by L-46man
Early models and later Models C-3 BOTH have a from-the-factory emergency release procedure.

Late model is....look under the rear edge of the hood...wiper area. On the firewall are two push-in black plugs, one near each latch.
Push the plugs into the engine compt. With a bent screw driver (to clear the hood edge) probe around and you will find the latch releases..pry/pop! and your'e in.
Bet you never asked yourself WHAT ARE THOSE PLUGS FOR? Now you know!

I'm going to hell now! lol

UnkaHal
There is a video on Youtube for this procedure. Might want to check it out, it may save some time.
Old 04-12-2019, 05:25 PM
derekderek
Race Director

But those videos are for unlatching a working latch that has a cable problem. These latches are rusted-siezed. He needs to unbolt or cut something.
Old 04-12-2019, 08:53 PM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

I have now drilled out the hinges from the bottom inside the wheel wells so I can lean the hood and actually touch the latch. Since it is frozen solid and I still can't access the bolts I will be cutting it and replacing it. Will be using a die grinder on a pole to reach it from the passenger side. Should make for some interesting YouTube material anyway
Old 04-12-2019, 11:15 PM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

I got the hinges off today and can now tilt the hood. Tomorrow I will be using a pipe, Duct tape, and a grinder to remove the rusted latch. Thanks for all the help!

Cambams
Old 04-13-2019, 08:36 AM
derekderek
Race Director

https://www.ebay.com/itm/76-77-78-79...UAAOSwzRlaLxF9 pic for reference. left may be easier to cut than the right woulda been. if you can grind head of the pin the latch hook pivots on, hook may pop off. on the right one it is buried behind the latch body. cutting the striker hook may work better, but you would need to cut both sides of the latch. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Corvette-Or...MAAOSw8zdassnF i bought a 77 hood for my 75. then i bought 77 latches. where in njueva yorkistan? i may be better off with 73-75 hood anyway. the strikers are bolted to a plate that is riveted into the hood. if they don't unbolt, gotta cut into the hood to remove the mount plate. that much effing around and you will probably be better off with a different hood. OTOH, that much rust on the hood latch implies that this is very probably a parts hulk.

Last edited by derekderek; 04-13-2019 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-13-2019, 08:47 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 538 Likes on 413 Posts

If you end up cutting up the hood to get it off, I have a replacement hood for a '79 available..
Old 04-14-2019, 02:43 PM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

I ended up getting it off in one piece. Right now I have the hinges sitting in white vinegar hoping some of the rust will clear up. I am going to try and repair the latches too. Only thing I will definitely need to buy is a new set of bolts and a new hood light. Unfortunately the air cleaner base fell apart in my hands. I recorded this and put it all on my channel for people who have really bad rust to see.
Old 04-14-2019, 03:13 PM
derekderek
Race Director

The air cleaner base fell apart in your hands. This is one seriously rusty car. Stop wasting time and vinegar. This is a parts car with very few usable parts.

Last edited by derekderek; 04-14-2019 at 03:15 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 11:59 PM
1986glht
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust

Vinegar will take forever.

Try evap-o-rust it will take care of that little bit of rust.

It's available at all the big box hardware stores.I

Guy

Last edited by 1986glht; 04-15-2019 at 12:00 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-16-2019, 08:43 AM
cambamsyt
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1986glht
Vinegar will take forever.

Try evap-o-rust it will take care of that little bit of rust.

It's available at all the big box hardware stores.I

Guy
Thanks for the suggestion I will try that as the vinegar is doing very little. I do have some good news though as this engine will run!

Get notified of new replies

To 1979 Hood rusted latch won't open

Quick Reply: 1979 Hood rusted latch won't open