C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Throwout bearing

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 08:40 PM
mcltcb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Throwout bearing

75 4 speed. Should the throwout bearing be touching the pressure plate at all times? I looked in side bell housing at dust boot around the fork and the bearing is turning on that pressure plate all the time. If this is not correct then do I just need to adjust my cluch? Thanks in advance
Old 04-14-2019, 09:23 PM
gg521
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 50 Posts

No the bearing should not ride against the pressure plate. There may be two adjustment you have to make. Adjust the rod in the engine compartment to get the proper free play and if that does not work, adjust the pivot ball on the bell housing.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:27 PM
mcltcb
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the response. I'll tackle that this weekend. Hope the lif of the bearing has not been shortened too much.
Old 04-15-2019, 08:33 PM
Kingtal0n
Melting Slicks

Received 723 Likes on 497 Posts

Exactly. Get it off that pressure plate and keep it off unless shifting.

Also keep from resting your foot on the clutch pedal because it causes this same thing to happen.

In fact while driving I am subconsciously pulling up on the clutch pedal just to make sure it comes all the way back up in some cars.

Having the TOB ride the PP can cut the life of the clutch in half.
Old 04-16-2019, 11:52 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Check the free play in the clutch peddle. Your AIM will have the measurement. I think it's 1 3/8 inch from the stop of the peddle to where it first engages the clutch. If the T/O bearing is engaged all the time, it will wear out in short order. Lastly, make sure you have the correct T/O bearing. Chevy made two sizes, one for the Corvette and one for passenger cars. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Throwout bearing

Quick Reply: Throwout bearing