C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

primary metering rods observation and question

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 03:17 PM
Julius Rosenthal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default primary metering rods observation and question

So I was rebuilding my carburetor and discovered that one of my metering rods was broken (the power tip snapped off). After a quick email with Lars I learned that I was going to run into the problem that many other late-model quadrajet owners have had, being that nobody makes the rods I need anymore (53K). On his suggestion I got myself a pair of 53M rods and carefully turned one down to have the .026 power tip that I needed. In this process I made an observation that interested me enough to make this post.

Pictured below are two metering rods, the one on the left is the original 53K (with a broken power tip), and the one on the left is the unturned 53M:

The cruise/idle portions of the rods are different, the 53K has no taper, and the 53M does. Measurements as follows (matching the positions indicated int he picture below):
A- .053in (53k rod)
B- .053in (53K rod)
C- .053in (53M rod)
D- .042in (53M rod)

I'm mostly just interested in how this affects the way these rods behave compared to one another, if at all and why they are made this way. I also only started thinking about this different after I installed the new rod, so currently my carburetor has one 53K rod and one 53M rod that has been modified. Should I bother going through the effort of grinding down this other rod to replace the 53K and have both metering rods perfectly match? Would I ever notice a difference?
Old 04-21-2019, 03:35 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Yes....the 53M is much smaller at the end because when you are accelerating at WOT.....the rods will pull up and let that much more fuel through the jet because the needle is smaller...thus not plugging the hole in the jet as much......when you are at idle to off idle...the rod is pulled down into the jet.....and the steps that are on the rod are the calibration at that throttle opening/engine speed/load.......at idle or off idle, the vacuum is high which pulls the metering rods down overcoming the spring.....
Hope that helps....

Jebby
Old 04-21-2019, 03:41 PM
Julius Rosenthal
Advanced

Originally Posted by Jebbysan
Yes....the 53M is much smaller at the end because when you are accelerating at WOT.....the rods will pull up and let that much more fuel through the jet because the needle is smaller...thus not plugging the hole in the jet as much......when you are at idle to off idle...the rod is pulled down into the jet.....and the steps that are on the rod are the calibration at that throttle opening/engine speed/load.......at idle or off idle, the vacuum is high which pulls the metering rods down overcoming the spring.....
Hope that helps....

Jebby
I more or less understand the idea behind it, I guess my curiosity is more as to why the 53K rod doesn't have this same taper. Where the 53M has this taper, followed by a small step into the power tip, the 53K has no taper, and a bigger step into the power tip.

Hope I'm making sense here
Old 04-21-2019, 04:08 PM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,892 Likes on 2,564 Posts

Originally Posted by Julius Rosenthal
I more or less understand the idea behind it, I guess my curiosity is more as to why the 53K rod doesn't have this same taper. Where the 53M has this taper, followed by a small step into the power tip, the 53K has no taper, and a bigger step into the power tip.

Hope I'm making sense here
The only thing I can think of is strictly cost......the rod with the taper is going to be a lot more apt to meter as opposed to the stepped deal......I believe since it is up higher on the rod that it is for off idle and part throttle running and with the taper would meter a lot more precisely than just the step....which could in effect do nothing given the stroke of the rod as it goes up and down.....you have to understand that these rods are constantly moving......I would suffice to say that if Lars told you to get these rods that is the reason why. A lot more fuel economy to be had with a tapered rod......ALL motorcycle carb needles are tapered for this reason.

Jebby
Old 04-21-2019, 04:48 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

I did a little digging around on the ‘net and found this....

https://cliffshighperformance.com/si...hp?topic=698.0
Old 04-22-2019, 10:36 AM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,926 Likes on 1,931 Posts

As Jim noted in his link above, the different letter-code rods have different tapers. The original "K" rods have a very sharp taper - almost none. The "M" rods actually have a very nice taper transition to provide very linear fuel transition through the power range, but they have those fat power tips. If you turn the "M" rod tip down to .026, you actually end up with a superior primary rod than the original "K" rod. You probably won't notice any actual difference by running the one "K" rod and the one modified "M" rod, but if I were you, I'd modify one more "M" rod and give your carb a nice taper-rod upgrade.

Lars

Last edited by lars; 04-22-2019 at 10:36 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 11:27 AM
PAmotorman
Melting Slicks

Received 150 Likes on 131 Posts

.a lot of these small changes were made to meet part throttle emissions. I rebuilt Q jets that had damaged or missing primary rods and all I did made sure was the tip was the correct diameter so WOT was correct. there were some olds performance Q jets that had no primary rods

Last edited by PAmotorman; 04-22-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 04-22-2019, 12:47 PM
Julius Rosenthal
Advanced

Thanks guys, very informative, the the thread linked above was an interesting read! Learning something new every day

I think I'll be opening my carb back up to get that other M rod in there just for the fun of it (something to do other than study for final exams )

Last edited by Julius Rosenthal; 04-22-2019 at 12:48 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To primary metering rods observation and question

Quick Reply: primary metering rods observation and question