C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

81 Corvette rear window ideas

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2019, 08:09 PM
silvvette
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default 81 Corvette rear window ideas

Been drive the 81 with the ttops off and not liking the interior wind. If we take the rear window out, is there a vinyl/cloth rear cover for it? I've seen vinyl/cloth ttop cover is there something similar for rear window. Going full convertible isnt an option just yet. Cost of conversion or finding a donor is rare. Any ideas?
Old 04-21-2019, 08:53 PM
L88Plus
Drifting

Received 120 Likes on 95 Posts

Glass t-tops?
If you pop the rear glass, you'll increase the interior wind significantly.
If you don't like the wind, a vert shouldn't even be a consideration.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:02 PM
silvvette
Pro

Interior wind, as in, the wind enters into the cabin and is trapped and doesnt/cant exit.

Some years back I seen ttop made of cloth not sure if they are still being made.

Last edited by silvvette; 04-21-2019 at 09:03 PM.
Old 04-21-2019, 09:03 PM
KaelFarmer
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 42 Posts

Not sure if this is a workable option, but these are my first thoughts. Since the rear window on an 81 does not open, I would check into converting to a opening unit from a collectors edition. The reason I suggest this is that a friend of mine has a C4 and when the targa top is off he uses a latch of some kind that keeps the rear window open approximately 4-6" to allow air to flow through instead of creating turbulence in the car. The air flows through it just like my truck with the sliding rear window open and door windows open.

Another, much lower cost option may be to get a piece of clear rigid lexan to mount behind the seats to block off the rear compartment. I believe this would function similar to the wind screens found in some convertibles for use when the top is down. I own a 77 which has the flat window directly behind the seats. I have found that with the t-tops off and the door windows up, my car has very little turbulence. I have driven my car comfortably with the tops off when the outside temperature was 38°. Whenever I have the door windows down, there is quite a bit of wind in the car. The same 38° day cruising with the tops off and windows down was downright cold because of the wind inside of the car.

Kael
Old 04-22-2019, 09:05 PM
M Pete
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

You will have much more wind with the back glass out. I have a convertible, not a corvette, and would rather have the T-tops or Targa top. The wind will wrap around the top and sides and come in from the back. One way to keep wind out is to roll up the door windows. That is where most of that wind is coming from anyway.
Old 04-22-2019, 10:07 PM
Engage
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by silvvette
Been drive the 81 with the ttops off and not liking the interior wind. If we take the rear window out, is there a vinyl/cloth rear cover for it? I've seen vinyl/cloth ttop cover is there something similar for rear window. Going full convertible isnt an option just yet. Cost of conversion or finding a donor is rare. Any ideas?

https://www.corvettecentral.com/68-8...djammer-103048
I have this and it does cut down on wind and wind noise quite a bit
Old 04-23-2019, 01:00 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,168 Likes on 2,352 Posts

So, is more air the answer? You mention removing the entire rear window (a lot easier to do in a sugar-scoop C3). Perhaps replace the rear glass with lexan, and install some NACA ducts to let air exhaust from the cabin? I don't you'd want to mess with the fiberglass, especially with the fuel tank back there, but you could also consider venting out the rear of the cabin itself, not through the glass. The astro-ventilation cars did this.

Sorry for the Mustang photo.

Old 04-23-2019, 08:44 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,044 Likes on 809 Posts

I get a lot of air pushing my head forward for some reason in my '80 with the tops off. I can't be the only one with this issue????
Old 04-24-2019, 10:04 PM
silvvette
Pro

Was driving on the highway today and thought of a 'bikini' top like the jeep 4x4. Not sure if we could use the bikini top on the 4x4 as a donor, or how to lockdown the top when driving with the bikini top on.
Old 04-26-2019, 05:28 AM
kanvasman
Melting Slicks

Received 804 Likes on 552 Posts

As mentioned above you need air deflectors in front of the t top openings. Every car I have had with either t tops ( 300 ZX) or sunroof(Mini Cooper,dodge nitro) had some deflector. Forget putting some
thing in back unless you can open the window and latch it so it only is open a few inches like they do on a c4. Anything made of fabric will either blow the fasteners out or tear the fabric. I would follow up on mr. Engage's suggestion. Try it before doing major surgery on car. If it doesn't work you can always sell it on the forum.

Get notified of new replies

To 81 Corvette rear window ideas

Quick Reply: 81 Corvette rear window ideas