C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Caliper rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 03:47 PM
austx
Instructor

Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Caliper rebuild

Hi all. Just wanted to throw some info out there if anyone cares. I just rebuilt my calipers, and was having a hard time finding something big enough to use to press my front piston seals into place. The back pistons go in fine using a 1-1/4 socket. I had a hard time finding anything large enough to seat the front seals though. I ended up at Home Depot and found a compression coupling in the electrical area that worked perfect. Part number is 0000-284-822.
Turned my hammer sideways to tap across the top and it worked perfectly. Just putting it out there for anyone else to try if needed.

The following users liked this post:
SMF (05-05-2019)
Old 05-04-2019, 11:04 PM
standardbyke22
Racer

Received 88 Likes on 68 Posts

im not doing my calipers yet but thats good tip, thanks
Old 05-05-2019, 10:22 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Before I installed O-ring pistons, I rebuilt my calipers with the traditional lip seals. I ordered a set of stainless steel inserts that are used in all stainless steel calipers. They look like tubes. I got one for the back and one for the front calipers. I install the piston by pushing it into the sleeve using brake fluid as a lubricant. I set the sleeve on the caliper and push the piston down into the bore. Real easy, it works like a ring compressor on installing pistons in an engine. I set the dust shields with a plastic puck made to fit the outer ring of each shield. I hammer the puck to set the shield into the caliper. You can also use teflon paste instead of brake fluid to lubricated the seals. You do not need the sleeves to install O-ring pistons, as they are pushed into the bores very easily. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Caliper rebuild

Quick Reply: Caliper rebuild