C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Turn Signal and Hazard Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:43 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Turn Signal and Hazard Problem

Hello all.

I have a problem with my hazards and front turn signals.

My front side marker lights do not come on when lights are on - all other lights do.

My turn signals work normally when lights are off.

My front turn signals do not work when lights are on.

Hazard lights do not work at all.

I get 12V to the brown wire at the front side marker light when lights are on, but the front side marker lights do not work. When I remove the side marker bulb, the turning signal light gets dimmer, then it gets brighter when I replace the side marker bulb. The ground for the front turn signal seems fine.

No idea what I should be checking here.

I replaced the HAZ fuse and the hazard flasher with a working one, no change.

Thanks

Last edited by Domobomb; 05-05-2019 at 12:43 PM.
Old 05-05-2019, 02:07 PM
Duane4238
Burning Brakes

Received 140 Likes on 93 Posts

Sounds like a ground problem. Find and clean all of your grounds and see how that helps. Good luck.
Duane
Old 05-05-2019, 02:25 PM
Domobomb
Racer

It seems to be a problem with the LED 1157 bulbs I am using.

When i replaced with a regular Incandescent 1157, the side markers (which are LED) light up as normal and the turn signals work with the headlights on. Hazards work properly too.

The problem was with both front LED 1157s. Hazards started working after replacing just one though.

I'll try a different set of LED 1157s to see if it was just these, or do LED turn signal bulbs just not work right in a C3? I think they were working properly at first - this happened all of a sudden.
Old 05-05-2019, 04:12 PM
kansas123
Melting Slicks

Received 359 Likes on 279 Posts

I think when you start replacing the 1157's your trouble becomes that the resistance in those LED bulbs is not enough to allow flashing to occur or proper interaction with other LED/OEM lights; if you search LED in the forum you will find many people who had trouble and how they solved it. There might now be 1157's that work without any wiring modifications but I am not sure.
Old 05-05-2019, 09:30 PM
Domobomb
Racer

Originally Posted by kansas123
I think when you start replacing the 1157's your trouble becomes that the resistance in those LED bulbs is not enough to allow flashing to occur or proper interaction with other LED/OEM lights; if you search LED in the forum you will find many people who had trouble and how they solved it. There might now be 1157's that work without any wiring modifications but I am not sure.
OK thanks I'll have a look and search. I did replace the flasher with an electronic one. The LEDs would stay solid instead of flashing without it.

I think these LEDs all worked properly for a while before failing all of a sudden.
Old 05-05-2019, 11:57 PM
Eliredandblack
Drifting

Received 434 Likes on 363 Posts

I spent more time than I will admit trying to install LEDs for the turn signals. Tried two different electronic flash units, neither one worked. When I turned on the headlights, both turn signal indicators would light up on the speedo and tach. I gave up and put in new incandescent bulbs. Life is too short.

Get notified of new replies

To Turn Signal and Hazard Problem

Quick Reply: Turn Signal and Hazard Problem