C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alignment shop

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2019, 05:50 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Alignment shop

I’m looking to have the 1973 Vette with a 4 wheel alignment job, or at least try if there’s a shop that knows what they’re doing. Any of you Tampanians (Tampa, Fla.) out there knows of and recommends a shop for this? Been here only 2.5 years, and still feeling my way around. Any info on this is appreciated.
Old 05-09-2019, 06:47 PM
bruiser
Melting Slicks

Received 204 Likes on 153 Posts
St. Jude Donor '15

Van Steel is in Clearwater. They should be able to tell you where to go if they don't do it themselves.
https://www.vansteel.com/
Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Thanks, will give them a call and ask
Old 05-09-2019, 11:18 PM
cagotzmann
Melting Slicks

Received 520 Likes on 358 Posts

Originally Posted by 73VetteRay
I’m looking to have the 1973 Vette with a 4 wheel alignment job, or at least try if there’s a shop that knows what they’re doing. Any of you Tampanians (Tampa, Fla.) out there knows of and recommends a shop for this? Been here only 2.5 years, and still feeling my way around. Any info on this is appreciated.
Here is the easy way to determine if they know how to do a complete alignment.

If they don't ask you.

Are you supplying the shims for the rear trailing arms.
or
ask them if they stock the shims for the rear trailing arms.

If they give you a dumb look they will only adjust rear camber and front toe.
No front caster / camber and most important no rear toe adjustments.

So before getting your alignment have a complete shim kit for the shop to use. Count the total shims and check what they used.
Old 05-10-2019, 09:02 AM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by cagotzmann
Here is the easy way to determine if they know how to do a complete alignment.

If they don't ask you.

Are you supplying the shims for the rear trailing arms.
or
ask them if they stock the shims for the rear trailing arms.

If they give you a dumb look they will only adjust rear camber and front toe.
No front caster / camber and most important no rear toe adjustments.

So before getting your alignment have a complete shim kit for the shop to use. Count the total shims and check what they used.
Excellent, will get my own shims. Thanks for the heads up.
Old 05-10-2019, 02:02 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

A
Originally Posted by bruiser
Van Steel is in Clearwater. They should be able to tell you where to go if they don't do it themselves.
https://www.vansteel.com/
Hey Bruiser, fyi: called Van Steel and they recommended the Goodyear shop in Clearwater. Also recommended that I take my own shims as they won’t have any in stock. I’ll give them a try. Thanks again.
Old 05-10-2019, 05:00 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Call Advanced Performance on Linebaugh Ave. Mike owns the shop and does all of my cars. If you want him to do the rear, make sure the bolts and shims are not rusted. PM me for further information. Jerry
Old 05-13-2019, 09:42 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Call Advanced Performance on Linebaugh Ave. Mike owns the shop and does all of my cars. If you want him to do the rear, make sure the bolts and shims are not rusted. PM me for further information. Jerry
Thanks for the info Jerry, good to have another source to look into. Btw, sorry took so long to respond, was out of town visiting Mom on her day. Just got back. Thanks again.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:23 PM
71convertible
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I live just 40 min north of Tampa. These are all good leads. Get a printout before and after and watch them. Bring a shim kit and long cotter pins. Make sure there is no positive camber on the right front. These roads are crowned for all the rain down here and will smoke the RF tire off.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:36 PM
akdale
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I would be interested in what machine/method the shop you choose uses. I just replaced TA bushings and finished up my DIY alignment. Used string to get thrust and toe close. Started building tools for laser level method. Have digital angle meter for camber. Caster...well thats another story. Anyway a shop here has a new alignment machine and offered to align my car. I know the owner so I will be there and assist with the process.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:52 PM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,328 Likes on 960 Posts

Don't forget to down load the alignment specs you want the tech to use. You can get the specs on the C-2 forum. I think Van Steel also has alignment specs as well. Jerry
Old 05-14-2019, 01:02 PM
71convertible
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I worked down in West Palm for 20 years. 77-97 Did 22k alignments. I have only been in the Tampa area a couple years so its all been hearsay. Their machine may or may not have specs. Doesn't really matter. Bring your own spec sheet. The specs are too generous and could cause issues anyway . On the front go -.50 degree neg on the right front. .00 to .25 positive on the left front. Total toe 1/16 th in. Caster .50 degree more positive on the right side or she will pull.NO negative caster on either side. Rear neg on both sides camber .50 or a little more if you want to super handle on turns. 1/16th total toe rear is good also.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:46 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by 71convertible
I live just 40 min north of Tampa. These are all good leads. Get a printout before and after and watch them. Bring a shim kit and long cotter pins. Make sure there is no positive camber on the right front. These roads are crowned for all the rain down here and will smoke the RF tire off.
Yeah, planning on getting shim kits for front and back. I stopped by Advanced Performance today and spoke with the owner, Mike. Just as Tampa Jerry said, the won’t touch the rear if the trailing arms bushings are bad, and/or shims and bolts are rusted. The car is heading to the shop for some a/c work and power steering leaks, and couple of other things. I’m going ask the mechanic to check the bushings and the rest while the car is up on the rack. Love these cars but, geeez, it never ends. Thanks
Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM
jim2527
Race Director

Received 633 Likes on 426 Posts

Originally Posted by 73VetteRay
Yeah,. Love these cars but, geeez, it never ends. Thanks
I work in the medical field and tell people that old cars are like old people, “there’s always something going wrong”
Old 05-14-2019, 04:55 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by Tampa Jerry
Don't forget to down load the alignment specs you want the tech to use. You can get the specs on the C-2 forum. I think Van Steel also has alignment specs as well. Jerry
Therein lies another problem. There are so many specs when I did research. I was thinking of using Van Steel street specs, but I don’t know if the fact that I’m running 255/60/15 tires has any bearing on different specs, and handling/tracking changes. Stock I believe was 225/70/15 tires.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:58 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by 71convertible
I worked down in West Palm for 20 years. 77-97 Did 22k alignments. I have only been in the Tampa area a couple years so its all been hearsay. Their machine may or may not have specs. Doesn't really matter. Bring your own spec sheet. The specs are too generous and could cause issues anyway . On the front go -.50 degree neg on the right front. .00 to .25 positive on the left front. Total toe 1/16 th in. Caster .50 degree more positive on the right side or she will pull.NO negative caster on either side. Rear neg on both sides camber .50 or a little more if you want to super handle on turns. 1/16th total toe rear is good also.
Are those specs good for stock suspension with the tires I’m running? If it is, I’ll go with that.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:02 PM
73VetteRay
Advanced

Originally Posted by jim2527
I work in the medical field and tell people that old cars are like old people, “there’s always something going wrong”
Yes sir, never ends. At 63, I’m getting to the point that something springs up with me. By the Grace of God, nothing major; yet.

Get notified of new replies

To Alignment shop

Quick Reply: Alignment shop