C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

L82 Engine repair/rebuild question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2019, 08:09 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,633 Posts

you can not lose a rod bearing and have the crank and rod be ok. Not. Possible. 37k. your bores and forged pistons should be good. you need a crank and a pair of rods. #2 died? #1 did too. crank can most likely be cut and reused. it is steel not cast iron. also orig. those are reasons it is justifiable to save the crank. BUT... this car does not sound like it was beaten on. more like babied. rod let go anyway. those are reasons to replace the whole short block. something, lack of oil, lack of straightness, something caused the failure. a junkyard engine with 8 good rod bearings is a better starting point.

Last edited by derekderek; 05-25-2019 at 08:14 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 09:36 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,041 Likes on 807 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobo Greybeard
I was finally able to get to the root of the problem this afternoon. The rod bearing on the #2 Cylinder was completely missing. I can not even find pcs of it in the oil. ???? Anyway, I am trying to figure out if I need to go ahead and replace all of the rod bearings or leave the others (37K miles on them) and just replace the destroyed rod bearing. I must of done something good in life, because the crank and rod actually do not look bad at all. I am going to replace the oil pump when I put the pan back on it.

Now that we have that figured out. What are your guys thoughts about throwing in a beefer cam, intake and maybe some heads? Do you have any suggestions for someone on a fixed income (disability) ? I am trying to do as much work as possible myself. I was a heavy line tech at a dealership prior to getting my back busted up when a lift malfunctioned.

How does the factory alum intake on the 1979 L-82 stand up against an Air Gap Performer RPM or other lower end performance intakes?

Thank you all.

Bobo

The reason it took me so long to get into it, is my back was killing me and I am just now starting to get moving around. That and we have had record breaking rain and tornadoes (140+ since the 117th) , major flooding. LOL Mother nature does not want me to have any fun.
(sorry for the double post. Just saw it)
Bobo,
Do you know of a trustworthy machine shop in your area? This engine will need to be overhauled without question. If you can locate a good machine shop, you could overhaul this engine. If not, you need a crate engine.

The cam went flat and the bearings are shot. The crank journals will be worn significantly and pastigauge is not going to be suitable to measure it. The journals will be egg shaped and require a regrind if it can be saved at all. Limited budget will include at minimum a regrind crank, cam, lifters, and a block hone if the bores will be saved. With such low miles you should be able to reuse the bores and pistons and that will save a lot of money. Rods will need to be resized. Heads should be given a valve job but no more than that. Heads are probably the only poor performing pieces in the L-82 but replacements can be budget breakers. If the original heads need anything more than a basic refresh, you should not try to save them. Timing chain and gear set would be replaced especially if the cam gear has the plastic teeth. You could probably reuse the timing gear set if you have the steel top gear. Need an overhaul kit with gaskets, rings, bearings etc. The intake is not pretty but it does work so save money there. I would not purchase ANYTHING before the machine shop gives you an estimate.

Time to tear it out and tear it down.

Last edited by stingr69; 05-25-2019 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-25-2019, 10:46 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

OP bobo

I agree w/ derekderek.

Shy of a providential miracle ...
... If rod bearing missing while motor running, both crank journal & rod bore must be damaged.

Are you CERTAIN shell was absent while running?

Once you get to bottom rod bearing situation, you may find OE motor is rebuildable/repairable.

Quick Reply: L82 Engine repair/rebuild question