C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight switch noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:31 AM
DAD111
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Headlight switch noise?

New to Corvettes - Not old cars. New to vacuum headlight switch system - Question - what is the little plunger under the dash used for and what is the process to turn/ bring the headlight buckets up?

Mike
Old 05-14-2019, 10:10 AM
henrikse
Pro

Received 115 Likes on 98 Posts

The plunger is too bring the lights up as long as there is sufficient air stored in tank. If not you can also push them up from underneath. If you cannor reach may have to take grill off. Watch you don't pinch fingers. To put down from underneath there is an elbow on rods that you collapse.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:19 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Suggestion:
Get a copy of a Chevy Corvette Owners Manual for your year. Sometimes originals on fleabay etc. Reprints widely available.

CF supporting vendor Willcox probably has yours for under $20.
Old 05-14-2019, 11:59 AM
DAD111
Racer

Originally Posted by jackson
Suggestion:
Get a copy of a Chevy Corvette Owners Manual for your year. Sometimes originals on fleabay etc. Reprints widely available.

CF supporting vendor Willcox probably has yours for under $20.
Come to think of it i do have an owners manual that the wife bought. Didn't think of that one. So i am doing right - Pull the plunger and then pull the light switch out. When i do this the lights did come up as they should. Next question - When switch is pulled/lights up - I hear a vacuum pull/ leak by the switch. Is this right? New switch and vac hoses.
Old 05-14-2019, 12:04 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Normally you only pull the headlight switch out to raise the buckets and turn on the lights. If you only want to raise the buckets and NOT turn on the lights you pull the plunger.
Old 05-14-2019, 03:58 PM
gbvette62
Race Director

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,316 Posts

The pull down vacuum switch under the dash was intended to open the headlights without turning them on. This was so you could clean the lamps, change a bulb, leave them up in snow or ice, so they wouldn't freeze closed, etc. If your headlight switch is working correctly, and your vacuum hoses are properly routed, the headlights should open and close just by using the headlight switch. You should not have to use the under dash switch when turning the lights on.

I haven't driven my Corvette in a while, especially at night, but I can't say that I notice any vacuum noise, when I operate my headlights. There have been issues with the vacuum switches on some of the aftermarket headlight switches though.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:07 PM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,469 Likes on 1,248 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by DAD111
...When switch is pulled/lights up - I hear a vacuum pull/ leak by the switch....
If you can hear a hiss, you have a vacuum leak. One of the hoses on the light switch is disconnected.
Old 05-14-2019, 04:47 PM
Dave J
Burning Brakes

Received 137 Likes on 107 Posts

Next question - When switch is pulled/lights up - I hear a vacuum pull/ leak by the switch. Is this right? New switch and vac hoses.
Did you just replace the headlight switch? If so, are you sure you connected the vacuum hoses properly? If the hoses are reversed, the headlight buckets may not open and you will also have a vacuum leak, sometimes audible like you are experiencing. The vacuum source hose goes to the vacuum port closest to the pull **** on the switch, and the other hose to the port farthest away.
Old 05-14-2019, 05:08 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Your main switch on the dash should raise and turn on your lights. This is the primary way to use the headlights. The plunger switch under the steering column is called the headlamp override switch. If you have a wiper door there should be another override switch under the steering column and also a switch with a big **** on it that rotates. In the event the normal headlamp switch doesn't open the buckets you can use the override switch to open them and the normal switch to turn them on (you can also push up on the arm as stated to get them open). This is true for the wiper door override switch and the big knobbed switch is to stop the wiper arms while they are traveling to change the blades.
You can use the headlamp override switch to clean your lamps and other things suggested but the main purpose of the override switch it to open the buckets in situations such as yours. You should never have to use that switch.
If you are hearing a noise from your main switch it's probably a vacuum leak as suggested above. Unfortunately it's not fun to get to.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 AM
28buick
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need to check the new switch itself as the switch needs to hold vacuum. Some of the new switches are not of the best quality and may to be disasembled and have plastic burrs removed so the the switch properly seals internally.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:57 AM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,296 Likes on 3,921 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

You should not hear a leak with just the headlight switch.

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 05-15-2019 at 10:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2019, 10:07 AM
DAD111
Racer

Thanks for all the reply's - Now i understand how it works. Yes it is an aftermarket switch and is a bear to get too. Hope its not a bad one - Will keep you all posted.

Thanks,
Mike

Get notified of new replies

To Headlight switch noise?

Quick Reply: Headlight switch noise?