C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Reality check

Old 05-22-2019, 10:27 AM
Rusty Bumpstick
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1982 Reality check

So my 82 has under 50k on it and drives pretty darn smooth in my opinion...BUT it does have its little quirks. Anyone out there own one from new and could tell me what the had issues with even when it was new ? My will want to stall when you do a g force turn and hit the gas hard. It also has a bit of trouble starting sometimes. stuff like that
Old 05-22-2019, 03:06 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Fuel pressure/pump is almost always the #1 issue with CFI, they are fuel pressure sensitive. Do you know what yours is set to? 13psi for a bone stock motor is all you need to make it run like the wind.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 05-22-2019 at 03:06 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 08:39 AM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

High G turn stalling is caused many times by fuel moving away from pick up.( fuel slosh) Loose baffle, or fuel pump strainer restricted or not reaching bottom of tank.
Old 05-23-2019, 12:40 PM
Rusty Bumpstick
Cruising

Ok I'll look into those for sure. No idea on the pressure setting currently. So it really didn't come out of the box with quirks other than the high potential for Crossfire issues ? I bet I can look right down in that tank and see whats going on in there ? I've actually never looked in there with a flashlight
Old 05-23-2019, 12:54 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

Crossfire is really simple as long as you leave tbi synchronization alone. That is the only challenging part, it's easier to cause trouble than correct.
Old 05-23-2019, 01:25 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 997 Likes on 686 Posts

Originally Posted by Rusty Bumpstick
Ok I'll look into those for sure. No idea on the pressure setting currently. So it really didn't come out of the box with quirks other than the high potential for Crossfire issues ? I bet I can look right down in that tank and see whats going on in there ? I've actually never looked in there with a flashlight
If you are going to remove the sender/pump assembly from the tank since you can not just look inside the tank, replace the tank gasket when you reinstall it and make sure ALL eight bolts have the o-ring on them, if not, replace the o-rings or it will leak. Might be a good time to replace the short rubber fuel tube connecting the sender to the fuel system as well. It is a PITA, but worth the piece of mind later. The sender is easy to remove, but you WILL have to twist, tilt and pull at the same time to get it out. Also, either remember how it was oriented when you remove it or mark it before removing. You MUST get it back in the same orientation when installed for the sock placement or it won't go together correctly.

One more thing, the fuel pressure is rather important to know if you want the motor to run at its full potential.

Last edited by Buccaneer; 05-23-2019 at 01:26 PM.
Old 05-23-2019, 06:49 PM
L-46man
Melting Slicks

Received 1,218 Likes on 844 Posts

'Cross-fire issues' is an internet myth... FAR, FAR, FAR, Better than a 38 year old M4 Rochester Carb.

37 years old runs like a bear, starts faster than you can take your fingers off the key, doesn't diesel and run on, stays in tune (tuned it 5 years ago). Returns 26mpg on 89 octane fuel.

Damn am I sick of 'Crossfire ISSUES'....translated basically means (too complicated for me to understand so there must be something wrong with it????)

Once you get the settings right due to nobody touching it for so long, and checking the pickup in the tank....you should be set to give it to your un-born kid!

Unkahal
Old 05-23-2019, 10:20 PM
Rusty Bumpstick
Cruising

well that's what i was saying and these threads always run away on tangents. I was initially curious about how much to really expect from my 82 and what might be the pitfalls that cant really be avoided easily. Not to my surprise it became a deal about crossfire. Mine works as good as i would expect from 35 year old chit. And I dont mind talking crossfire. As far as the DIY goes I'm hands off on this car for the first time ever. i have another project I'm trying to finish and this one I'm farming out when it needs help. Quite honestly i just am here to educate myself on what to expect with this project so when I deal with vendors doing the work i can make sure I'm getting what I need.
Old 05-24-2019, 11:08 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Originally Posted by L-46man
'Cross-fire issues' is an internet myth... FAR, FAR, FAR, Better than a 38 year old M4 Rochester Carb.

37 years old runs like a bear, starts faster than you can take your fingers off the key, doesn't diesel and run on, stays in tune (tuned it 5 years ago). Returns 26mpg on 89 octane fuel.

Damn am I sick of 'Crossfire ISSUES'....translated basically means (too complicated for me to understand so there must be something wrong with it????)

Once you get the settings right due to nobody touching it for so long, and checking the pickup in the tank....you should be set to give it to your un-born kid!

Unkahal
x2. Crossfire complainers never fixed their TBI.
Most 2 reliable cars I have owned were 80s TBI and a 90TBI truck. Never ever did anything funny...when there is an issue its a simple fix not much to go wrong
Your sock is probably old so just put a new one and rubber hoses on. #1 check fuel pressure & your CTS is fine. They are super reliable.
Old 05-24-2019, 03:46 PM
Street Rat
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 529 Likes on 396 Posts

Default Sticky on '82s

Sticky threads are at the top of the regular posts.

This should help you.

Craig

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...solutions.html

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Reality check

Search this Thread