C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Borla Muffler as a Side Pipe.

Old 05-30-2019, 01:14 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Default Borla Muffler as a Side Pipe.

Has anyone else tried this?

I have Hooker side-mount headers. The first muffler I tried was the "glass-pak". I wanted the car quieter and went to the quiet inserts. Unfortunately, the opening was so small they choked the motor. So then I tried the Flow Max. There was a big increase in performance, but the car was so loud that you would have to lean over and shoot for the passenger to hear you.

I wanted to run the car at Lime Rock, so I had to find a way to get the car quieter, yet not choke the motor. I called Borla and spoke to one of the Borla owners (sorry I don't remember the name). He said they had a racing muffler for jeeps. It was very low restriction, would fit my car and was the most quiet muffler they had (it is huge).

See pics. The performance is excellent. The back pressure is low. The mufflers are actually touchable after you run the car (try that with Hookers). The only issue is the car is far from quiet. I will try to run at Lime Rock and see. I also welded the tip slightly down so it would not be pointing directly at the sound meters.

Not super pretty, but very functional.

Last edited by cottoneg; 05-30-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-30-2019, 01:24 PM
PainfullySlow
Burning Brakes

Received 361 Likes on 228 Posts

I would love if you could post a video of the car running. I am a huge fan of Borla in general although I have never seen that type of muffler from them. Good luck with your run at Lime Rock.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:57 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

what happened with the custom mufflers you had built referred to in the thread below?
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...trictions.html
Old 05-30-2019, 04:01 PM
cottoneg
Drifting

Received 181 Likes on 120 Posts

Wow, you have an excellent memory. Much better than mine. I looked up the original emails from Burns. Their stuff was pricey and even if I spent the cash, they said (quote from the email) "It is just that 89dB, WOT at 30’ is very tough to meet"
Without some assurance that the money spent would allow me to get to the noise limit, I looked for other options.

Having said that, and even though these are Borla quiet mufflers, I am still not sure they would pass at Lime Rock.
Old 05-30-2019, 07:01 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,217 Likes on 1,730 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Have you looked at whet the Viper guys are running? IIRC they are using a Corsa product. I had looked at several systems that they were using-especially regarding heat when I made my sidepipes..

Here's a couple I remember- The 'double' muffler one might be the ticket-

BTW - the Borla looks bad a$$....

Old 05-30-2019, 08:11 PM
nyciti
Burning Brakes

Received 274 Likes on 169 Posts

Nice - I wanted to do something like this but was to chicken to purchase a muffler, I was to unsure of the look and them mufflers ain't cheap.
Old 05-31-2019, 05:40 AM
bazza77
Melting Slicks

Received 599 Likes on 533 Posts

I too would like to hear how they sound. They sure look tough and am surprised you can still open the doors !!
Old 05-31-2019, 08:43 AM
jimco84x
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 102 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2019 C3 of Year Finalist (track prepared)

Originally Posted by cottoneg

Not super pretty, but very functional.
I respectfully disagree. I think they look pretty bad ***!!

I'm in for a video with sound also. I might have some STS inserts for sale soon.
Old 05-31-2019, 11:35 AM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,806 Likes on 1,597 Posts

Default Memory

Originally Posted by cottoneg
Wow, you have an excellent memory. Much better than mine. I looked up the original emails from Burns. Their stuff was pricey and even if I spent the cash, they said (quote from the email) "It is just that 89dB, WOT at 30’ is very tough to meet"
Without some assurance that the money spent would allow me to get to the noise limit, I looked for other options.

Having said that, and even though these are Borla quiet mufflers, I am still not sure they would pass at Lime Rock.
Actually it wasnt memory. I googled Limerock noise restriction to find the decibel limit and found your old post. Back in the late 70's I went to Limerock with sidepipes and glass pack inserts and spent most of the morning trying to make the car quieter with tin cans attached to the end. I never went back because at the time Bridgehampton still existed with no noise restrictions.
Old 05-31-2019, 02:45 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

maybe another option

Get notified of new replies

To Borla Muffler as a Side Pipe.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Borla Muffler as a Side Pipe.