C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door Windows on a 71 in Texas

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 08:07 PM
franjw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Door Windows on a 71 in Texas

I am fighting getting the door windows aligned. I have changed the the rear seal but still the window jams at about 80% up on the front seal , I have even removed the SS trim on the door that holds the outer seal but still it bends inward . Is there anyone in North Texas that knows the magic,to getting these things to work? They are power windows in a 1971 Coupe. I am located in Prosper, TX and the car is still on a Quick Lift being put back together.So I am hoping for local expertise.
Old 06-04-2019, 12:35 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,817 Likes on 1,606 Posts

Do you have a copy of the 1971 factory Chassis Service Manual, it describes in detail how to adjust the windows.
Old 06-12-2019, 05:30 PM
bigvette1
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Another item that I learned the hard way ($$ wise) the weather-strip some vendors is a soft rubber and thicker than the OEM grade which is a vinyl and thinner. The windows do not drag on the vinyl like the soft rubber. Go take a look at other C3's at clubs or vette repair shops to see the difference. But it still comes down to adjusting the window. If the window is loose the rollers may be worn out and will be very hard to get adjusted. At best on a good day it is a PIA.
The following users liked this post:
franjw (06-24-2019)
Old 06-24-2019, 09:10 PM
franjw
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I tried the Willcox way, loosened all the bolts and with suction cups moved the windows close to where they work. The bolt mounts did not wind up where I thought they would be, like the bolts are further in to make the window go out but I will let the windows decide where they want to be. Thanks for the help.

Get notified of new replies

To Door Windows on a 71 in Texas

Quick Reply: Door Windows on a 71 in Texas