C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Did a dumb thing - Brake question

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:11 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts
Default Did a dumb thing - Brake question

Hi,

When I converted over to manual brakes on my 68 I did everything correctly, moved the master Cyl up about an inch to use the upper hole on the brake pedal, fabricated new from lines and bled everything well. I also had to build a new plunger from the brake pedal into the master cyl. I took it for a test drive and all was fine. But halfway through (about a mile away) the brakes started to drag as they headed up. I headed back immediately but by the time I got home the rear brakes were smoking a lot (only rear). Turns out I had incorrectly measured for the plunger and the brakes were "on" a bit.

I fixed it and it drives well, but I can't lock up the brakes in the rear. Before I start playing with the proportioning valve I wanted to ask if I could have done permanent damage to the brake pads. If so I will change them out. They only have about 2000 miles on them.
I have a complete Wilwood setup - rotors, calipers, and Master Cyl.

Thoughts? (Other than "Yes Scott, you are indeed a dumbass!")
Old 06-05-2019, 01:30 PM
scottjamison
Burning Brakes

Received 371 Likes on 191 Posts

Originally Posted by scottjamison
Hi,

When I converted over to manual brakes on my 68 I did everything correctly, moved the master Cyl up about an inch to use the upper hole on the brake pedal, fabricated new from lines and bled everything well. I also had to build a new plunger from the brake pedal into the master cyl. I took it for a test drive and all was fine. But halfway through (about a mile away) the brakes started to drag as they headed up. I headed back immediately but by the time I got home the rear brakes were smoking a lot (only rear). Turns out I had incorrectly measured for the plunger and the brakes were "on" a bit.

I fixed it and it drives well, but I can't lock up the brakes in the rear. Before I start playing with the proportioning valve I wanted to ask if I could have done permanent damage to the brake pads. If so I will change them out. They only have about 2000 miles on them.
I have a complete Wilwood setup - rotors, calipers, and Master Cyl.

Thoughts? (Other than "Yes Scott, you are indeed a dumbass!")

I think I answered my own question.

I talked to Wilwood and the tech said that I probably glazed the rotors. He suggested taking 80 grit sand paper and sanding the rotors in a cross hatched patter, then following the break in procedure again.
I will try that this weekend.
Old 06-05-2019, 07:58 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

Use a block of wood with the 80 grit wrapped around it and go in one direction, then switch hands and go the other way and you will get the crosshatch you want. IF the pads dont brake in after that, new ones are inexpensive. If your brake pads retaining pin just has the little hair pin clip replace it with a cotter pin. If the clip fails, the pin can walk out and you will be doing this all again...
The following users liked this post:
scottjamison (06-06-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Did a dumb thing - Brake question

Quick Reply: Did a dumb thing - Brake question