C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

75 fuel filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2019, 02:09 PM
Lisa Monacelli
Advanced

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 75 fuel filter

Hello i have a 75 I just wanna verify that this is my fuel filter. Is there a paper filter in side or this whole unit need to be replaced?

Fuel filter?
Old 06-08-2019, 05:02 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by Lisa Monacelli
Hello i have a 75 I just wanna verify that this is my fuel filter. Is there a paper filter in side or this whole unit need to be replaced?

Fuel filter?
First, that filter assembly is an Aftermarket piece ... inside that screw-apart glass-potmetal housing ... you see a caged white plastic cartridge integrated with a plastic mesh.

If ... IF you still have car's Original Quadrajet carb ... it is was factory-equipped with a small fuel filter Cartridge just inside where fuel line screws onto carb body ...
... that cartridge is either stamped steel with pleated paper or sintered bronze.
Old 06-08-2019, 05:22 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,920 Likes on 1,929 Posts

Hello i have a 75 I just wanna verify that this is my fuel filter. Is there a paper filter in side or this whole unit need to be replaced? Fuel filter?
Unfortunately, someone has hacked up your fuel line and installed that aftermarket filter (not good). If you still have a Q-Jet carb, buy a new reproduction steel fuel line, throw that thing away, and replace your in-carb filter. Make sure you still have the spring. NAPA part number 3052 for the good filter.

...But I'm going to bet that they didn't just hack the fuel line - based on the angle of that rubber line that they installed, I'm betting they also removed your Q-Jet carb and installed an Edlebrock carb as part of the "mod" job...

Lars

Last edited by lars; 06-08-2019 at 07:33 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 08:04 PM
Lisa Monacelli
Advanced

Like this?

so what do I need to get to replace that?
Old 06-08-2019, 08:56 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

I canot tell which carb you have because it's covered by air cleaner assembly.

Remove top lid, air filter element and lower base ... then take pic of carb.

Lars probably right ... Qjet probably gone.
Old 06-08-2019, 09:39 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Like this? so what do I need to get to replace that?
Can't see the carb because you have the air cleaner in place, but it's certainly not the correct Q-Jet. Someone has hacked something together that's not right...

Lars
Old 06-08-2019, 10:05 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Those glass filters have the cast threaded rod that holds one end into the other and are probably one of the most dangerous filters ever made. Vibration will make them pull apart at the threads causing a massive leak which would be spread rearward by your cooling fan. I actually had one pull apart years ago.... I would not trust one of those on my lawn mower. I still have one that I use between the pcv valve and carb to test if oil and how much is being sucked past the pcv but other than that, they are one of the worst fuel filters you can buy. The rubber line isn't right either but remove the filter.

Last edited by CanadaGrant; 06-08-2019 at 10:11 PM.
Old 06-08-2019, 10:17 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

That's true. But I think Lisa has more problems than just the filter. If she can post up a photo of what she's got on the top end of that engine without the air cleaner, we can see how much of a problem she has, and what she needs to do to get the car in safe, driveable condition. Replacing that filter will be top on the list, but the aftermarket, incorrect carb under that air cleaner will determine how best to manage those frightening rubber fuel lines and other problems...

Lars

Last edited by lars; 06-08-2019 at 10:18 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:51 AM
Lisa Monacelli
Advanced

Im not having issues with the car. Just looking to replace filter as I dont know how old it is?
Thanks Lisa
Old 06-09-2019, 01:13 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

You can replace that filter with any in-line fuel filter with 3/8" hose nipples. Avoid the glass filters. These types of "generic" filters are available from any auto parts store - don't tell them you want a filter for a 'Vette, because you'll get the in-carb filter shown in my post above - you just want a generic, aftermarket, in-line filter. NAPA has one under part number NOE 7401158 for about $5. This is a clear nylon plastic filter housing with a sintered bronze filter element and a lifetime warranty.

Be aware that, depending on the type of carb you have, that the carb itself could have an in-carb filter. If you have an in-carb filter, you need to remove it if you are going to use the in-line filter - do not run 2 filters in the system. You might want to check that...

Lars

Last edited by lars; 06-09-2019 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-09-2019, 01:21 PM
Lisa Monacelli
Advanced

I will try to get a better pic of the carb for you tomorrow.thanks for the info I may even have the paperwork from the previous owner

Last edited by Lisa Monacelli; 06-09-2019 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-12-2019, 01:49 PM
Lisa Monacelli
Advanced

This is the carb in the car does this help you out?
Old 06-12-2019, 02:06 PM
CanadaGrant
Safety Car

Received 415 Likes on 336 Posts

Ah, ok. An aftermarket carb that requires a filter. The filter you have can be removed and comes apart for cleaning. That is one of the big problems with those filters as they have seals that can leak and are very cheaply made. You might consider a generic one piece canister filter with 3/8ths" inlet and outlet from your local parts store that would be a bit safer or you can just unscrew it and clean it out.

Get notified of new replies

To 75 fuel filter

Quick Reply: 75 fuel filter