C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan Strangness

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2019, 01:53 PM
TexVette01
Instructor

Received 22 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Electric Fan Strangness

When I turn the ignition on (just key on or running) and the car was hot the fan would kick on immediately. Now after having the starter replaced when I turn the key on the fans won’t kick on for about 30 seconds. During that time the temp gauge goes way past the 210 mark.

Does anyone one know if I need to check something? The car never gets hot (per dash temp gauge) while running or sitting in traffic but those first 30sec are nerve racking seeing the temp gauge at about 250. It drops like a rock after the fans kick on. I hate how things start acting weird changing one unrelated part 🙄
Old 06-15-2019, 11:09 PM
Mooser
Race Director

Received 3,135 Likes on 2,069 Posts

As always, first thing I'd look for is a ground problem.

What fan and controller are you using?
M
Old 06-16-2019, 01:42 AM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Is it possible you have a trapped air bubble at your temperature sensor? I'd imagine that if the car had just been running, and your switch/sensor were in the intake manifold, this wouldn't be the problem, but I can't think of why 30 seconds would make a difference for an electrical problem, unless the switch itself doesn't close until it "sees" the heat in the engine.
Old 06-16-2019, 04:34 AM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

If you did nothing but the starter I would look for a wire left off at the starter. Controller could have had hot alla time from starter and now power may be supplied by a switched source.
Old 06-16-2019, 11:13 AM
TexVette01
Instructor

Checked all grounds last night concerning the fans. Everything was clean and tight. I'm thinking when they changed the starter some wire may have gotten screwed up. I'm thinking they were in the ignition switch for some reason. Some other electrical gremlins have moved in......key buzzer goes off all the time now without the key in the ignition. The wipers don't work (door opens just fine but no wipers).Wipers worked beautifully before... I checked the wiper override/park switch under the column and its not engaged. Also noticed that when I got the engine at operating temp, shut off, then key on the fans would turn on immediately which was not the case earlier that day. Also the radiator/fan setup is a Dewitts #4139069A.

It'll be going back to the shop next week. I took it in for 2 problems and got it back with 1 still existing and 2 new ones. We need more C3 mechanics in Houston....
I can't wait until I get house so I have room to do my own work.
Old 06-16-2019, 12:47 PM
'75
Le Mans Master

Received 582 Likes on 504 Posts

Check the small black wire near the starter, it's supposed to be grounded to the engine, not hooked up to the big battery terminal. We've seen that numerous times here. That wire grounds the wiper motor and blower motor on several model years and causes weird problems when hooked up wrong.
Old 06-16-2019, 01:13 PM
TexVette01
Instructor

Done....it was ever so slightly loose. Wipers are bueno.

Did another test with the fans. Temp got to about 220* letting engine idle. Raised RPM to 2000 and temp dropped to 190ish; still no fans. Fans randomly kicked on shortly after that. Time span on this was about 8 minutes. Car was stationary in 90* garage.

Last edited by TexVette01; 06-16-2019 at 01:16 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 03:46 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,137 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Did you check your fuses, too? I had one go bad recently. Instead of just a single system failing, I had wacky symptoms in other circuits. If you garage miswired your starter, it is possible they blew a fuse, or fusable link, as well.
Old 06-20-2019, 09:27 PM
TexVette01
Instructor

Sometimes the best things in life are free....or at least cheap. Turns out the radiator was horribly low on coolant. I never thought to check it since I know for a fact it was full before I took it in for the starter replacement. It appears it was so low it would cause the engine to get up to 220* and I would guess take a long time to get the void in the radiator hot enough to trigger the electric fan sensor. The weird part was the temp would drop to 180ish from 220 with no fans on. I guess the thermostat was opening about that time and pumping enough coolant through to lower the running temp. Anyhow, I removed the recovery tank cap and filled her up, turned on the heater and ran the car while continuing to fill the tank. Lots of large bubbles. Took it out for a ride tonight and PERFECTION. Will check it again tomorrow once its cooled off and see if it needs anymore coolant.

The temp gauge never got past 195ish on a 93*+ air temp and hot cement from the days heating. Can't ask more than that from a 454.

Get notified of new replies

To Electric Fan Strangness

Quick Reply: Electric Fan Strangness