C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing question . 76 350 Ci automatic

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 02:05 PM
Paul Girnus
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing question . 76 350 Ci automatic

Guys
I just got my car running first test drive . The was running rich . When I checked the timing the mark on the balancer is lighting up way above the marks on the timing cover . I moved the distributor to get the Marks closer the car almost died . So I timed it by ear . It's running better however the mark is way above the timing cover hash marks . Does this mean someone stabbed the distributor a tooth off . I guess this means I need to remove spark plug at number 1 . Bring up to tdc. Then check the distributor ? Thanks for any suggestions
Old 06-17-2019, 02:11 PM
1Hotrodz
Drifting

Received 219 Likes on 158 Posts

You are correct. There should be a notch in the base of the Dist. indicating number 1 firing position. Or you could look at the Dist cap.
Old 06-17-2019, 04:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

The distributor being "one tooth off" has no effect at all on timing - the timing can be correctly set no matter what clocking position the distributor is installed - it can be "off" one tooth or 10 teeth, and the engine can still be correctly timed with no problem - it's a cosmetic clocking issue only. If you left the vacuum advance hooked up when you checked the timing, the timing mark will be about 30 degrees beyond the timing plate - that's normal. Initial timing with vacuum disconnected should be in the mid-teens. If the engine won't idle with initial timing in the mid-teens (with vac advance disconnected), you need to do an accurate TDC verification to assure that your balancer has not slipped. This needs to be done accurately with a piston stop - not just visually verifying the piston near TDC.

Lars
Old 06-17-2019, 04:16 PM
Paul Girnus
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How about the balancer?

Originally Posted by lars
The distributor being "one tooth off" has no effect at all on timing - the timing can be correctly set no matter what clocking position the distributor is installed - it can be "off" one tooth or 10 teeth, and the engine can still be correctly timed with no problem - it's a cosmetic clocking issue only. If you left the vacuum advance hooked up when you checked the timing, the timing mark will be about 30 degrees beyond the timing plate - that's normal. Initial timing with vacuum disconnected should be in the mid-teens. If the engine won't idle with initial timing in the mid-teens (with vac advance disconnected), you need to do an accurate TDC verification to assure that your balancer has not slipped. This needs to be done accurately with a piston stop - not just visually verifying the piston near TDC.

Lars

Lars
how about the harmonic balancer? I've am suspecting it may have been changed . I have heard that some are marked at12 o'clock and others like mine more to one side at 1 o'clock ? Should I just put the car at TDC and mark the balancer on the "0" on the timing marks?
Old 06-17-2019, 04:33 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,925 Likes on 1,930 Posts

No - as noted, you need to do a TDC verification. If you don't know how to do this, simply drop me an e-mail request for my "TDC Verification" paper - it has complete instructions. Once you have verified and marked TDC, you can correctly set your timing as outlined in my timing paper. Let me know if you need a copy of that, too. You might also want a copy of my "HEI Distributor Installation" paper to make sure your distributor is correctly installed and clocked.

Lars
V8FastCars@msn.com

Last edited by lars; 06-17-2019 at 04:35 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To Timing question . 76 350 Ci automatic

Quick Reply: Timing question . 76 350 Ci automatic