C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Noise

Old 07-06-2019, 07:26 AM
rodney25
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Clutch Noise

Hi All,

I just installed a new CenterForce Clutch, Pressure Plate, Throw out bearing, and Pilot bearing. After about 10 miles I hear a grinding rattling noise from the bell housing. If you step on the clutch the noise stops. If the engine is idling the noise will come and go, but always if you step on the clutch pedal it stops. Does anyone have any advice or know what this is?

Thanks.

Old 07-06-2019, 12:05 PM
resdoggie
Had a 1976 L-82, 4-sp

Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Some days your the dog and some days your the hydrant.
Received 1,199 Likes on 925 Posts
Royal Canadian Navy

Did you correctly install the throw out bearing? The clutch fork has to be installed into the groove of the to brg correctly. Iirc, the to brg also has a fore and aft position. The input shaft of the tranny also needs a small bit of lubricant to aid the sliding of the to brg.
Old 07-06-2019, 12:45 PM
rodney25
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm sure I did. Watched multiple videos on YouTube. I was fine for about 10 miles. Is there anything to test or check to confirm what is causing the issue?
Old 07-06-2019, 03:50 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,256 Likes on 3,903 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

if you jack up the car an climb under it, you can grab your linkage and jingle it, if it makes a metal on metal sound it may be the problem. I had that same rattle and I installed th eanti rattle springs that are a stock item on the original linkage and it stopped for a while then came back. I ended up going to the speed direct solid linkage with hiem ends, no more rattles. if it isnt you linkage your clutch arm may have lost one of those retainer springs or the throw out bearing slipped out of the two fingers when it was installed and the TO bearing is riding against the clutch fingers. Try the linkage, then pull the boot and look inside with a flashlight and a mirror on a stick...

good luck
Old 07-06-2019, 09:02 PM
derekderek
Race Director

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,632 Posts

idling in neutral. clutch and front half of trans is spinning. step on clutch. the throwout bearing starts spinning. the transmission stops spinning. unless it is a no-load throwout bearing just touching the clutch it could be a trans problem.
Old 07-07-2019, 08:09 AM
Tampa Jerry
Le Mans Master

Received 1,326 Likes on 958 Posts

Check out a post and write up by Lars. A few months ago he covered the topic thoroughly. It may be in the C-2 side. Jerry

Get notified of new replies

To Clutch Noise

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Clutch Noise