C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Runs Great but...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2019, 11:33 AM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Runs Great but...

I have a 1981 Corvette with the factory 350 engine.

I am having a annoying problem.

My car starts and runs great normally.

If I stop and shut down after driving for a while, then restarting after about 15 minutes or so, the engine starts fine, but I only get about 100 yards and the engine dies and won't restart.

Looking into the carb and working the throttle linkage gets no fuel from the accelerator pump jets.

If I wait for about 15-30 minutes,and crank the engine a bit, checking the carb for fuel flow shows fuel available. The engine will then start and run well.

Previously, this occurred only after driving and then stopping for a while. Never died while driving.

Recently, the engine has died while driving around town. Will not restart until the above procedure is done. Cool down, and crank to refill the bowl.

Have changed the fuel pump, checked return fuel line clear, insulated line from pump to carb, changed filter.

Good solid pressure at 7-8 psi on gauge.

ideas?
Old 07-08-2019, 12:27 PM
Kacyc3
Drifting

Received 184 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by IDPaul
I have a 1981 Corvette with the factory 350 engine.

I am having a annoying problem.

My car starts and runs great normally.

If I stop and shut down after driving for a while, then restarting after about 15 minutes or so, the engine starts fine, but I only get about 100 yards and the engine dies and won't restart.

Looking into the carb and working the throttle linkage gets no fuel from the accelerator pump jets.

If I wait for about 15-30 minutes,and crank the engine a bit, checking the carb for fuel flow shows fuel available. The engine will then start and run well.

Previously, this occurred only after driving and then stopping for a while. Never died while driving.

Recently, the engine has died while driving around town. Will not restart until the above procedure is done. Cool down, and crank to refill the bowl.

Have changed the fuel pump, checked return fuel line clear, insulated line from pump to carb, changed filter.

Good solid pressure at 7-8 psi on gauge.

ideas?
isnt that higher than needed? Sounds like vapor lock issue, maybe wrap the lines underhood from pump to firewall.
Old 07-08-2019, 12:35 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,026 Likes on 1,552 Posts

I remember vapor lock

https://www.simpsonsworld.com/video/312276035588
Old 07-08-2019, 02:06 PM
fishslayer143
Drifting

Received 156 Likes on 143 Posts

I would suspect fuel percolation..its literally boiling in the carb after shutdown.. vapor does not flow .. do you have a phenolic spacer under carb ?. Fuel line close to heat source ? Return line to tank?... Try raising the hood immediately next time when you stop.. if it does not do it , then this is most likely your problem
Old 07-08-2019, 02:16 PM
IDPaul
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would percolation and cause shut down while driving?

Get notified of new replies

To Runs Great but...

Quick Reply: Runs Great but...