C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TH350 problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2019, 06:57 PM
awg
Heel & Toe

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TH350 problem

Hi - I have just bought my 1.st Corvette and are about to start restauration. The previous owner have put in a complete new engine, but reused the old transmission, so everything has been dismantled.

I have not been driving a lot in the car, but it seems to shift ok when driving. The problem is when going from "park" to "reverse" or from "neutral" to "drive", still with the foot on the brake, then the transmission engage extremely rough and almost get the car jumping.

The car has been under restoration for 10 years more or less, so I assume that it has not been driving at all in that period. According to the previous owner the oil has not been changed.

I am a complete rookie when it comes to these transmissions, so any suggestions on how to deal with this is much appreciated.

reg Anders
Old 07-09-2019, 10:59 PM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

What is engine RPM when idling in Park?
Old 07-09-2019, 11:28 PM
gjohnson
Drifting

Received 358 Likes on 248 Posts

Check the snubber bushing on the rear diff
Old 07-10-2019, 09:26 AM
awg
Heel & Toe

I am not quite sure, it is something I will look into when receiving my Service Shop Manual from Zip-Corvette, but it is running at relatively high RPM especially when choke is on. About 1500 RPM give and take - Could it be as simple as that? I actually thought that the transmission would adapt when engaging.
Old 07-10-2019, 09:37 AM
awg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by gjohnson
Check the snubber bushing on the rear diff
I will do that, the noise actually seems to come from the back of the car.

/A
Old 07-10-2019, 09:52 AM
jackson
Le Mans Master

Received 628 Likes on 556 Posts

Originally Posted by awg
I am not quite sure, it is something I will look into when receiving my Service Shop Manual from Zip-Corvette, but it is running at relatively high RPM especially when choke is on. About 1500 RPM give and take - Could it be as simple as that? I actually thought that the transmission would adapt when engaging.
1500 is too high and will cause car to Jump or Rough shift from from Park to Reverse and Neutral to Drive ... repeatedly doing this will damage or break transmission rear mount and the engine mounts.

First, adjust idle to spec (probably about 750 - 800) ... you look it up & verify.

Next, inspect / replace mount(s).
Old 07-10-2019, 10:01 AM
awg
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by jackson
1500 is too high and will cause car to Jump or Rough shift from from Park to Reverse and Neutral to Drive ... repeatedly doing this will damage or break transmission rear mount and the engine mounts.

First, adjust idle to spec (probably about 750 - 800) ... you look it up & verify.

Next, inspect / replace mount(s).
I will do that - Thank you

Get notified of new replies

To TH350 problem

Quick Reply: TH350 problem