C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Aeromotive Fuel System

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 11:01 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

Default Aeromotive Fuel System

Hi,
Wanted to share some photos of my recent build progress. I have been working on a fuel system for my 540 using a submerged Phantom 340 pump with a sumped custom 24 gallon tank from Rock Valley. The Aeromotive Phantom kit came with a fuel regulator with return line and dual carb feeds. I am running -10 an from the pump to a Aeromotive -10 an filter and through a -10 an Earls pro shut off valve that will be accessible in from the wiper compartment from outside the car without opening the hood, and will have a pull lever inside also. From there to the regulator and the return line is a -8 an as well as the carb feeds. So when I got this kit I started looking for a regulator mount for my Dominator carb and could not find anything. I did not want to mount it several feet away from the carb and have 3 foot long carb feed lines. So I decided to make a regulator mounting bracket... Sounds easy enough!

My 81, purchased back in 1984. In the later stages of a 30 year build lol.

This will not work, the regulator will be bouncing around with nothing to support it..

Got an idea of what I need, a drop bracket that will let me mount it next to my nitros distro block and stay out of the way of the valve cover and have hood clearance.

Time to bust out the Harbor Freight saw and get cutting! I love this thing it has never let me down.

Hmmm...

Mmm hmm..

Ahh Hah! I may quit my day job and start manufacturing baby aluminum elephants and selling them on eBay.

Final shape. Just have to cut a hole in the base and drill countersinks for the regulator mounting screws.

Time to get polishing!

Parts came out pretty good. Bottom bracket is very surprised at how well he fits. I missed a bunch of deep scratches,that I did not notice until I was 8 grits deep.. I will go back over them again when I am polishing the next bracket I make.
Cut down some Arp bolts to fit, and everything lines up very nicely.

Used a wood hole saw to cut the return line circle in the base. Worked very well besides the black paint on the blade catching on fire. Who knew?

It fits perfect! (Miracle)

Hey look how good I am at putting together hoses! I tore these hose fittings up.. I need a gallon of an fitting touch up paint. And some foot long an wrenches.. Those hose fittings are tough!
I will throw up some more pics after I make some more progress.
Happy Holidays!

Last edited by Mewn; 10-30-2019 at 11:39 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by Mewn:
69ttop502 (10-31-2019), bmans vette (11-03-2019), d555 (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:08 AM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

NICE work!!! ARP 12 points really?? Of course -I'd have done the same thing!!!

I ended up removing the anodizing from the AN fittings and polished them because they are way to easy to nick up-

I'll give a warning re the Aeromotive Phantom...since my build looks like it's taking longer than yours!!!

I have the foam DISSOLVE in the tank after 2 years !!!

When I went to drain the tank and put in fresh gas - I found a mess...ended up going with a Holley Hydramat after talking to the Aeromotive guys quietly admitting I wasn't the only one.......

It was premium pump gas with no additives - winter blend.

The following users liked this post:
Mewn (10-31-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:39 AM
Mewn
Pro

Wow that is crazy! Thanks for the warning. My Rock Valley tank is sumped so I was not planning on using that foam but wow what a piece of crap! That would make me want to yell at someone. I am sorry for your situation and that foam sleeve should be banned from sales.
Makes me wonder about the competency of Aeromotive as a whole. When I called them with a few questions left messages which were ignored and ended up having to email them then wait 8 days to get a response which was basically a total waste of time. More expensive then most anyone else and that's the result of their touted new high tech performance Phantom fuel system?
The fuel pump has a proprietary 10 bolt mounting system, and they do not sell a mounting plate for it. Just a drill bit jig to cut out the top of your tank? Also they do not sell a flat standard gasket for it, only a 1/2 inch thick foam gasket that is designed for compression for uneven tank surfaces. Great hope its not the same foam as the sump! I was frustrated from the start with these guys!
Had to search forever and was lucky to find a company called Genright that makes gas tanks for jeeps to order a mounting plate to have welded onto my tank.
Talk about bs, the Aeromotive 10 an fuel filter they sell has a special clamp that fits it. 80 dollars each and you need 2.

Old 10-31-2019, 10:51 AM
Big2Bird
Le Mans Master

Received 1,014 Likes on 808 Posts

You win the award for the most tool boxes ever seen in a two car garage.
bmans vette (11-03-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 10:58 AM
Mewn
Pro

Hah Yeah I do. I moved from a 4000+ square foot shop to my current location. Working on putting up a 40x72 shop in the back yard asap..
Old 10-31-2019, 12:29 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,220 Likes on 1,732 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Mewn
Wow that is crazy! Thanks for the warning. My Rock Valley tank is sumped so I was not planning on using that foam but wow what a piece of crap! That would make me want to yell at someone. I am sorry for your situation and that foam sleeve should be banned from sales.
Makes me wonder about the competency of Aeromotive as a whole. When I called them with a few questions left messages which were ignored and ended up having to email them then wait 8 days to get a response which was basically a total waste of time. More expensive then most anyone else and that's the result of their touted new high tech performance Phantom fuel system?
The fuel pump has a proprietary 10 bolt mounting system, and they do not sell a mounting plate for it. Just a drill bit jig to cut out the top of your tank? Also they do not sell a flat standard gasket for it, only a 1/2 inch thick foam gasket that is designed for compression for uneven tank surfaces. Great hope its not the same foam as the sump! I was frustrated from the start with these guys!
Had to search forever and was lucky to find a company called Genright that makes gas tanks for jeeps to order a mounting plate to have welded onto my tank.
Talk about bs, the Aeromotive 10 an fuel filter they sell has a special clamp that fits it. 80 dollars each and you need 2.
YEP- they were frustrating to deal with- tech guy said their pump wouldn't work with the hydramat!??? The Phantom was a nice piece- and when I bought it -it was the best piece out there...I'd have gone a different route now- at the time I thought the Rock Valley and Riks was a little expensive AND had already dropped a few hundred plus on a brand new stock tank-looking back it would have been cheaper in the long run...

I went to a Summit Racing Event and talked to one of the higher ups from Aeromotive and he admitted it had happened before- but only when somebody had additives in the fuel...Mine came right out of the pump!!!

The tech on the phone said he'd send me a new foam for $38 plus shipping- I laughed. Fool me once....

I have smaller Aeromotive filter- I saw the BS price for the clamps- I went to eBay and found a billet aluminum one that are used for roll bar clamps and it was like less than $25 for a pair!!!

Again-Your attention detail - I like!!!

Richard
Mewn (11-02-2019)
Old 10-31-2019, 01:38 PM
Mewn
Pro

On another note this -10 an Earls shut off valve is a work of art.

Old 11-01-2019, 06:14 PM
60 SHARK
Drifting

Received 772 Likes on 498 Posts
Default Over the top

Nice work guys,,, you really enjoy the build more than the driveing, don't you ,,lol,,
. , B T W,, I was looking at "Over The Top" in the dictionary, and it reference this thread,,,
. I love it,,,,,,,,,,,,,, teddy,,,,
Mewn (11-02-2019)

Get notified of new replies

To Aeromotive Fuel System

Quick Reply: Aeromotive Fuel System