C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power-Pak Rebuilt engine?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 10:47 PM
igilbert91
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power-Pak Rebuilt engine?

Hey CF,

I’m pulling my engine/trans out this weekend and while working on the exhaust manifolds, I discovered this plate that shows this is a “Power-Pak rebuilt engine”. I suspect this is a standard rebuilt 350, but I couldn’t find much through some google searches.

Anyone know where these originated from? Anything special about them compared to the standard emissions L-48 of the late 70’s?

- Ian

Old 11-06-2020, 11:02 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,200 Likes on 2,374 Posts

I don't know about the rebuilder, but if they didn't shave the codes off of the deck, the engine stamp pad should be readable on the block, just ahead of the passenger-side head.

If it was originally a Corvette engine, the last two or three letters can be decyphered here (and there will be a partial VIN of the car it came out of).
http://corvettec3.ca/engines.htm
For any other Chevy engine, NastyZ28 has the codes, here:
https://nastyz28.com/chevy-engine-code-stampings.php

Old 11-07-2020, 09:31 AM
rgwoehr
Burning Brakes

Received 610 Likes on 298 Posts

My car had one of those too. The guy I bought the car from said the original engine failed and was replaced under warranty. From what I could find online, those tags were put on engines rebuilt by a company called “automotive engineering” in CA. I would assume there’s nothing special about it, just a stock rebuild. Mine certainly didn’t feel any more powerful than a stock 350.

I see you’re in Pittsburg, my car is from Sunnyvale, so maybe it’s a Bay Area thing

Last edited by rgwoehr; 11-07-2020 at 09:37 AM.
Old 11-07-2020, 06:33 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,041 Likes on 1,563 Posts

From other forums

The Post newspaper, San Mateo California, carried an ad on page 17 in the 7 December, 1960 issue, for company called Automotive Engineering. They claimed "Only at Automotive Engineering do you get a rebuilt engine that is Factory Built"

Seems like a lot of people are looking for the same info you are for their Mopar, Chev, Ford, Dodge ... and just about every other brand of engine, with a similar tag drive-screwed to their block.

In the times, May 33 1961:

New car power is yours with a low cost rebuild from Automotive Engineering. Deluxe Power Pak engines packages are backed with a $10,000 bank written guarantee.

Interestingly in Roller Derby Los Angeles defeated the Bay Bombers 31-30

Get notified of new replies

To Power-Pak Rebuilt engine?

Quick Reply: Power-Pak Rebuilt engine?