C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini starter issues

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2021, 09:05 PM
svetter84
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Mini starter issues

I have an 81 corvette, I had a 2 amp draw on my battery that would drain it all the time. After trying to figure out what the draw was I finally disconnected the starter wires and the draw went to 0. Thinking it was the starter I Bought a new mini starter and still have the same issue. Im thinking I wired up the first mini starter wrong after replacing the original gm starter. I have the ignition wire and battery cable correct. But the red ones and the black ones im not sure? Im thinking the two red wires goes with the battery cable (top post) and the black two wires are ground? 1st I connected the two black wires with the battery cable on starter and left the two red off and the starter just spins would not engage. Left the two black ones off and put the two reds with the battery cable and car would not do anything? I put both the reds with the blacks with the battery cable and it still just spins? (Thats how I connected with the first mini starter, I'm thinking this was causing the battery drain?.) Has anyone wired up a mini starter on a 81 with the same wire config? Thanks in advance!

Last edited by svetter84; 02-05-2021 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:57 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,018 Posts

The 2 connected RED wires after the White Plastic Capsules are your fuse links. They should connect to the battery post (top post of solenoid) So you were correct there.
Not sure why there are 2 black wires connected together but that should be a ground and bolted to a lower bell housing bolt or the starter mounting bolt. But the bell housing was the original mounting location.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:03 AM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Received 539 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
The 2 connected RED wires after the White Plastic Capsules are your fuse links. They should connect to the battery post (top post of solenoid) So you were correct there.
Not sure why there are 2 black wires connected together but that should be a ground and bolted to a lower bell housing bolt or the starter mounting bolt. But the bell housing was the original mounting location.
Can’t say for sure that’s causing your problem but there is normally a ground at a bell housing bolt in the vicinity of the starter. I suspect that terminal with the black wires is it. That’s why I label every wire that comes off.

Last edited by drwet; 02-06-2021 at 10:04 AM. Reason: bell housing blot??!
Old 02-06-2021, 10:09 AM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Here is a shot of my 79 with the 2 black wires..
post 3

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-starting.html

Last edited by interpon; 02-06-2021 at 10:10 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 10:24 AM
bmotojoe
Safety Car

Received 1,299 Likes on 1,018 Posts

Originally Posted by interpon
Here is a shot of my 79 with the 2 black wires..
post 3

https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-starting.html

You have AUX cooling fans right?
Maybe the 2nd one goes to the temp sensor connector in block?
Good Clear Photo of mounting location

Last edited by bmotojoe; 02-06-2021 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-06-2021, 12:43 PM
svetter84
Advanced

I’ll try the Two reds to starter and blacks to ground. But After testing it last night the Two reds are what’s causing my two amp draw?

Last edited by svetter84; 02-06-2021 at 12:45 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 01:08 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by svetter84
I’ll try the Two reds to starter and blacks to ground. But After testing it last night the Two reds are what’s causing my two amp draw?
Not sure exactly what you are asking, but It's unlikely someone is going to be able to solve that problem for you over the internet. Simply too many variables. You need to get yourself a wiring diagram for your car and start doing some troubleshooting. Are you comfortable using a multimeter?
Old 02-06-2021, 02:49 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,008 Likes on 690 Posts

^^^THIS^^^
Old 02-06-2021, 04:26 PM
svetter84
Advanced

Yes I do know how to use a meter. And yes I realize there is other variables involve with the amp draw. I was merely stating the red wires were causing my issues. That’s why I said I would try wiring it the way the first three helpful guys explained and see what happens. Didn’t mean to offend you with my statement.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:15 PM
Rescue Rogers
Dementer sole survivor

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 6,341 Likes on 3,942 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
2020 Corvette of the Year Finalist (performance mods)
2019 C3 of Year Winner (performance mods)
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

on earlier models, and yours is probably the same all the cars power goes to the starter. the 2 red wires travel from the starter up to the fuse block and the horn relay. They actually supply power to the rest of the car Get a wiring diagram and make sure which wire goes where. Then discoonect them on that end. I have found issues in the horn relay and for one member, he had a short in a light. When we disconnected the light bulb his short went away. That was a weird issue.

THe easiest way to track it down is going to be to disconnect your positive cable at the battery. Then connect a multimeter beween the positive post and cable. set it up for amperage and yo will see your draw. then disconnect all the fuses one at a time until the draw disappears. if that doesnt do it start disconnecting anything that completes a circuit like light bulbs, the horns, the horn relay, etc. You will find it and it will mot likelybe something that you wouldnt expect

Last edited by Rescue Rogers; 02-06-2021 at 05:17 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:28 PM
interpon
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2,034 Likes on 1,556 Posts

Originally Posted by bmotojoe
You have AUX cooling fans right?
Maybe the 2nd one goes to the temp sensor connector in block?
Good Clear Photo of mounting location
yes aux fan

Last edited by interpon; 02-06-2021 at 05:28 PM.
Old 02-06-2021, 05:57 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,165 Likes on 2,349 Posts

If you suspect your starter extension harness, you can get a new one from any of the vendors. $80 spent there may save you some debugging. My two fusable links had burned off all of their insulation.

Otherwise, you need to methodically go through your fuses with an ammeter on your battery and determine what circuit has the power drain.
Old 02-06-2021, 07:11 PM
drwet
Melting Slicks

Originally Posted by svetter84
Yes I do know how to use a meter. And yes I realize there is other variables involve with the amp draw. I was merely stating the red wires were causing my issues. That’s why I said I would try wiring it the way the first three helpful guys explained and see what happens. Didn’t mean to offend you with my statement.
No offense taken. Pretty clear you had the ground wire connected to the starter. You're not the first guy to do that. When all those wires are hanging disconnected it looks like that terminal belongs on the starter. Your next step is to connect the wires where they belong and see if you still have a problem. If you do, you need to get a wiring diagram and do some basic diagnosis. Test the various circuits one at a time until you figure out where the draw is coming from. Anything else is just guessing.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:02 PM
lionelhutz
Race Director

Received 845 Likes on 721 Posts

Those 2 red wires are the power feeds to the car. Them drawing power isn't because the starter is bad. Keep working on isolating various stuff in the car, check the alternator too.
Old 02-06-2021, 09:50 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,222 Likes on 1,733 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Think of a parasitic draw- as a several water hoses running through out your car-and one has a leak.
You have just disconnected the hose that's leaking.

2A of current is a lot of draw- what is drawing the power is a circuit that is wired hot all the time.
I'm not a betting man- but I'd put my money on the alternator- as those wire go right to the alt.

The other possibility is it could be the courtesy light circuit- that can be checked by removing the fuse.

Richard
Old 02-07-2021, 12:46 PM
svetter84
Advanced

I appreciate all the advice, pictures and help! After wiring the two reds to the top post and connect the black ground wires to bell housing everything is good. There draw is also gone. I believe before I had the ground wires connected to the bottom post of the 1st mini starter I put on and that must of created the draw. I’m kinda glad I didn’t take pictures and couldn’t remember how I had it wired since it took a few days for the new starter to come in. I probably would of wired it back the same way and still had my draw. I had already checked the alternator and pulled fuses to check the draw. I would of been checking all my wires after that! Again thanks for all the help!! She’s ready to get back on the road and now I want have to take off the ground wire on the battery every time!!

Last edited by svetter84; 02-07-2021 at 12:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
interpon (02-07-2021)

Get notified of new replies

To Mini starter issues

Quick Reply: Mini starter issues