C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wilwood brake upgrade worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2021, 09:23 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts
Default Wilwood brake upgrade worth it?

Can anyone give me some real world advice on the value of the wilwood brake upgrade from Zip or Eckler's?
I'll save you the sordid details of my brake adventure on my '71 power brake coupe, but suffice to say, don't get your stuff from the discount online stores. It's too bad, as I normally have real good luck with this particular store, that I won't call out here.
I got four new AC Delco calipers from them and one leaked immediately and so did it's replacement, so I'm done and going to send it all back and go somewhere else. Master cylinder is a new Napa unit and seems to be ok.

At this point, I'm even skittish about the standard brake package from Zip or Eckler's, hence the question about the Wilwoods. See, I like a pretty responsive brake pedal. I'm used to my 2017 Camaro SS with Brembos on all four corners, that thing will put you through the windshield if you aren't wearing your seatbelt. I know I can't get there with a regular C3 brake system, but I haven't even gotten to a standard passenger car brake responsiveness yet after all my work!

So, for those who have upgraded (Wilwoods or others), can you say it was worth the $1,000 for all four calipers and some braided lines? Did it really make the brakes snappy with no other changes? I'm willing to drop the coin, but I have to know it will be worth it. If I pony up and go through the work of install again, only to be disappointed, I might lose my mind.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:42 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

I should probably amend my above post to say that I'd be ok with stock brake system if you guys can guide me to the proper combination of parts to get a really good brake feel.

Thanks.
Old 03-31-2021, 09:43 PM
Joe79Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts

I did Wilwoods on all 4 corners. I did it for lower maintenance and the looks. My car stops the same. No real change in that. I don’t think you will see any crazy improved braking unless you increase rotor size and go with the 6 piston. I still think it was worth it.

Joey
The following 4 users liked this post by Joe79Vette:
71/502 (04-05-2021), cheapta (04-01-2021), interpon (04-04-2021), kmcc505 (02-26-2024)
Old 03-31-2021, 09:45 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,613 Posts

From a few minutes of research AC-Delco no longer makes New calipers for the C3, they are remanufactured.
Since you went into no details, other than the bad calipers, I would get four sleeved O ring calipers from the link below.
http://www.lonestarcaliper.com/

Last edited by MelWff; 03-31-2021 at 09:46 PM.
Old 03-31-2021, 10:01 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MelWff
From a few minutes of research AC-Delco no longer makes New calipers for the C3, they are remanufactured.
Since you went into no details, other than the bad calipers, I would get four sleeved O ring calipers from the link below.
http://www.lonestarcaliper.com/
Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to get their website to work. When I click on an item it takes me to a mostly blank page. Tried three different browsers, same thing, says invalid request. <shrug>
Old 03-31-2021, 10:38 PM
Factoid
Le Mans Master

Received 5,656 Likes on 2,842 Posts
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Modified
2024 Corvette of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2023 C7 of the Year Winner - Modified

I bought my Wilwood brakes on my C2 from Summit. I’m also using their manual MC. Love them. The two biggest benefits, shorter stopping distances and no fade.

Front

Rear

Wheel
Old 03-31-2021, 11:04 PM
Richard454
Le Mans Master

Received 3,229 Likes on 1,736 Posts
2023 Restomod of the Year finalist
2020 C3 of the Year Winner - Modified

Originally Posted by Factoid
I bought my Wilwood brakes on my C2 from Summit. I’m also using their manual MC. Love them. The two biggest benefits, shorter stopping distances and no fade.
I went w/ the D8-4 on the rears and the Big Brake 14" on the front. Manual as well- using a 7/8 bore MC. The Wilwood vs stock- also allows you to modulate the pedal more before locking up.

This is a test by forum member Jim-AKA "427Hotrod"
Wilwood vs Originals

Here's the numbers- not perfectly scientific
STOCK Calipers-
•151 ft., 2 in. - Nice quick stop to get an idea of how hard I could push it on that surface.
•123 ft., 7 in. - Worked it much harder. No brake lockup or drama.
•118 ft., 3 in. - Back to back. Now I knew I could work it harder.
•109 ft., 5 in. - Hit it hard and kept it right on the edge of lockup. Never could repeat it.
•135 ft., 1 in. - Real hard and locked up front wheels early and rears near the end.
•111 ft., 4 in. - Very similar to test four.
•113 ft., 2 in. - Another good one!

Wilwood-D8-6 and D8-4 calipers

•130 ft., 9 in. - Good feel but sliding at the end.
•129 ft., 6 in. - Nearly identical.
•115 ft., 5 in. - Finding the “sweet spot”.
•109 ft., 4 in. - Maybe the pads are getting “bedded”?
•107 ft., 8 in. - Bang! Best ever!
•109 ft., 11 in. - Still working great!
•109 ft., 3 in. - Did it again!

The following users liked this post:
interpon (04-02-2021)
Old 03-31-2021, 11:11 PM
gkull
Team Owner

Received 1,347 Likes on 1,072 Posts

The big brakes like Richard are the better way to go. The 1000 buck set only have the same piston area as stock.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:03 AM
terrys6t8roadster
Melting Slicks

Received 337 Likes on 280 Posts

Comparing apples to oranges. My 6t8 with manual stock brakes on street tires to a complete Wilwood system with new master cyl, rotors, calipers, braided lines and manual adjustable proportioning valve with Hawk carbon ferro pads the same street tires. No more leaks, always a great pedal, nice straight sure stopping. I always make sure passengers are belted in to make sure they wont kiss the dash or if the slicks are on they wont fly through the windshield. Brake pad choice has a lot to do with the stopping and fade resistance. T
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 AM
Mr D.
Team Owner

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,496 Likes on 1,011 Posts

I have always run stock brakes on my C2/C3 and get my remanufactured calipers from O'Reilly's Auto Parts. Never had one leak. Last set of four was about 5 years ago for a 71 project car.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:36 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 101 Likes on 85 Posts

Have stock re-manufactured calipers on my '68 coupe. Since I last re-built them with 'O' ring pistons they have been leak-free for the last 10 years or so. Use Hawk HP Plus pads which are good (just need 'warming-up' a little). Am I 100% happy with the brakes? - no certainly not. With close to 600 hp and no brake booster driving still requires plenty of forethought when applying brakes and keeping sensible distances following other cars.
Hot Rod Jim's 'seat of the pants' braking tests seem to be as close as we have ever got to a lab type 'back to back' test of stock brakes against aftermarket. I have 18" wheels and wide, modern rubber all round so could easily go with a set of larger diameter disc's and calipers.......but, I still remain unconvinced the significant cost of this will give me pro-rata benefits in stopping power.......
Old 04-01-2021, 07:49 AM
Jebbysan
Dr. Detroit
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3,898 Likes on 2,566 Posts

I would like to add that for the life of me, I cannot figure out why it is so difficult to hone four bores or install stainless sleeves (which has been a practice now for over 30 years), and install four pistons w/ O-rings and four dust caps.....I mean, I can rebuild one of these in about 30 minutes and that includes removal......
Is the industry such crap now that even AC Delco can't make four pistons seal with O-rings?
That said....it is important to check rotor runout...if you have a lot, then it is YOUR fault....and not the manufacturer......a rotor with a lot of runout will ruin a caliper in a matter of miles.....

Jebby
The following 3 users liked this post by Jebbysan:
interpon (04-02-2021), Primoz (03-20-2024), resdoggie (04-07-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 07:49 AM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the replies so far. Let me try to fill in the blanks a bit more:
This is my first C3. I bought it this past January and trailered it to storage. It is intended to be a driver with some tinkering for a few years before a frame-off. When I brought it home from storage was the first time I was able to drive it and found the brake pedal went just about it the floor.
An inspection found a leaky right front caliper. Initially I was just going to replace it but decided to do all four and the master. Got it all installed and bled with some help from an experienced person here on the forum, but still no pedal. Can’t even get close to locking them up. Then the leaks, and the frustration, etc.
This car will likely never see the track, I’m just looking for a solid feeling pedal with the ability to lock the wheels so I know I have max braking capabilities.
I haven’t touched the block with the brake switch yet. It seems to be working, as when my leaks happened and the pedal went way down, I briefly saw the brake light come on. Should I be looking closer at it?
Also, my booster seems to be working, there is a definite difference in pedal push with engine running vs off. I fiddled with the booster rod a bit as there seemed to be a sizable gap between it and the MC. I adjusted it to where the brakes were just about to grab with the pedal at rest.

So, do you think I would be best off with an o-ring stock caliper set up from one of the Vette stores, maybe with braided hoses?

Edit: one other thing: the calipers I got from the discount place were lip seal style.

Last edited by wwiiavfan; 04-01-2021 at 07:51 AM.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:36 AM
mosowski
Intermediate
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If I had to do my brakes again, I would go with the Wilwood set from Eckler's for $1000. I went with the AC Delco re-man calipers from on online discount store and one of my new front calipers leaked before I got it out of the garage. However, I replaced that one under warranty and have a good hard pedal now. I used a vacuum bleeder that is used with a compressor to get fluid to the caliper. This got most of the air out of the system, but I still had a lot of travel on the pedal. I followed up with a 2-person bleed method which stiffened the pedal significantly. There was quite a bit of air left in the system even after using the vacuum bleeder. It is possible to get a firm pedal with the AC Delco calipers as long and you do not have any leaks at the fittings or at the pistons. I also struggled with getting the brake lines from leaking at the caliper. I was using the copper crush washer to prevent leaks, but I ended up replacing the ones I got with the calipers. This stopped the leak at the hose fitting.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:00 PM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 910 Likes on 792 Posts

It was worth it to me. I've had the 6 fronts/4 aft combo since august 2012 from sale here. I got them from Van Steel. I have NOT had a single brake problem and it's been about 8.5 years. I recommend them just because they've been so good. Not that I drive a lot, but I didn't drive a lot with the problematic stock brakes either.
I was reluctant to spend the money but I'm glad I did now.
Knowing what I know now; if I was searching today I would get the regular 4-piston kit -- it costs about the same as what I got on sale (color not included) but that's how good they've been.

Last edited by carriljc; 04-01-2021 at 12:01 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 12:32 PM
Buccaneer
Melting Slicks

Location: Arizona - If you don’t know CFI, STOP proliferating the myths around it...
Received 1,013 Likes on 692 Posts

I've used stock AC/Delco calipers for the last 30 years on my 82. I'm tired of messing with them every once in a while for whatever the reason. I'm going to replace all four in the near future with Wilwood four piston all around and hopefully be done for a while with calipers. Also, there is about a 25-30lb weight savings...BONUS!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:26 PM
cheapta
Racer

Received 81 Likes on 68 Posts

I just ordered the rear 4 piston Wilwoods today, I already have the fronts. I did it because I have no use for ancient, cast iron calipers designed in 1964. I want to be able to enjoy my Corvette , not have to be wondering when the brake pedal is going to the floor or when there will be a brake fluid stripe down a tire while it's parked in the garage.
Jefs68 (03-09-2024)

Get notified of new replies

To Wilwood brake upgrade worth it?

Old 04-01-2021, 04:51 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

I got tired of constantly leaking stock calipers so 15 years ago I installed Wilwood brakes all around. Since then all I've done is replace brake fluid every 3 years. Never had a single problem out of them and brakes feel amazing, like a new sports car. Absolutely worth it to me.
wwiiavfan (04-01-2021)
Old 04-01-2021, 05:28 PM
MelWff
Race Director

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,613 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
Thanks for the link, but I can't seem to get their website to work. When I click on an item it takes me to a mostly blank page. Tried three different browsers, same thing, says invalid request. <shrug>
I have tried it both on a cell phone and desk top computer and had no problem.

Lonestar

Last edited by MelWff; 04-01-2021 at 05:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 07:11 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by MelWff
I have tried it both on a cell phone and desk top computer and had no problem.

Lonestar
I see the same problem in both Crome and Firefox. It works until I click on a product and then it's blank.

Quick Reply: Wilwood brake upgrade worth it?