C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1982 Performance upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2003, 10:07 PM
grm
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Modified by grm2, 2:47 AM 1/9/2003]
Old 01-01-2003, 11:03 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: 1982 Performance upgrade (grm2)

Here is some info I got from a different post.

This is for an 84, but should offer the same results to an 82. I dont know if the chip is something that you can do as they may have changed the mechanical style of the chip from 82 to 84.

I have also heard that you should not use a B&M shift kit for a 700R4 but go with the transgo kit for reliability reasons.

I have yet to do any of this to mine, so take it with a grain of salt-and maybe some tequila:
Cross-fire injection performance mods
Most mechanics haven’t a clue of how tune them. the 82 was my favorite year of the c-3 but if u want some ideas I could give u some of the mods I did to my previous 84' z-51 c-4 coupe! and believe me it would weld the doors on a stock 85-87 tune-port c-4.
1) 160 thermostat,
2) K&N air filters,
3) new fuel filter,
4) accel super coil,
5) a/c delco rapid fire spark plugs( be sure not to gap them, because this particular plug comes from GM already set with a different gap from normal specs.
6) A.D.S. stage2 chip,
7) Flowmaster (corvette mufflers) or hooker aero chamber mufflers .

If u don’t get the chip, advance the initial timing +2 degrees and install the super coil, fuel filter K&N air filter, rapid fire plugs and the 160 degree thermostat you'll feel and hear the difference. You can find the chip under adsperformance chip.com.

I also recommend shift kitting the 700R-4 overdrive trans with either the B&M shift improver kit runs about 25.00 or transgo high performance kit. whether u shift kit the trans or not though ; when u fill it back up , use Type F (ford fluid) instead of dexron 3, and substitute 1 quart of B&M trickshift fluid. the type f fluid withstands higher temperature than the
dexron and gives a firmer shift with out so much of a glide through the gears on stock 700 r-4's. but with the kit and the fluid ; the car will perform night and day, and will still make a dependable everyday driver without sacrificing drivability . .

there’s a shop down here in Georgia called corvette country in Fayetteville there’s a guy there name john and he swears that a cross-fire set properly will out perform a carbureted vet easily with the same mods, and I didn’t believe him till I tweaked mine but I went one step further with a comp cam (compcams have a grind especially for cross fire and it doesn’t affect
drivability, but gives it a slight noticeable idle but still smooth. but mine would turn 5400 to 5800 ez). the biggest problem with the cross fire is that the intake runners on the intake are narrow and restricted not really equal to the intake port of the head. that’s why they're low end torque monsters
For some other really good info, go to the Cross Fire Injection Vault website. There is a huge amount of info there.

Hopefully some other CFI owners can give some more info.
Brent...
Old 01-01-2003, 11:54 PM
Ironcross
Race Director

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Default Re: 1982 Performance upgrade (grm2)

A real easy HP increase would be to use the GM #3863151 hydraulic camshaft from the 327/350HP 65-67 engine. Cheap and works great without any other changes. Excellant power and torque. I just did my 84 this way and it runs great. :thumbs:
Old 06-21-2015, 03:32 PM
Moramoto
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ironcross
A real easy HP increase would be to use the GM #3863151 hydraulic camshaft from the 327/350HP 65-67 engine. Cheap and works great without any other changes. Excellant power and torque. I just did my 84 this way and it runs great.
Can I do this on my 1982?
Old 06-21-2015, 04:13 PM
toobroketoretire
Melting Slicks

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

To get an honest 300 flywheel horsepower you'll need a Renegade intake manifold, an '85 fuel pump set to 14 psi, a 220 degree duration cam, and 2.02" X 1.60" large valve heads. But the easiest and cheapest way to better performance is to install a set of 3.73 gears. If you go the whole route (which I did many years ago) you'll need to do all of the modifications.
Old 06-21-2015, 10:22 PM
bluedawg
Safety Car

Received 55 Likes on 53 Posts

This thread is 12 years old....

Get notified of new replies

To 1982 Performance upgrade

Quick Reply: 1982 Performance upgrade