C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Side Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2023, 08:39 PM
stingrayiii67
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Golfobsessed
Question for those who installed the Doug's headers, I'm about to order a header/pipe set up, upon recommendations I'm going with ceramic coated... a few questions, first anyone have to modify or dimple for a Borgeson PS, second I'm reading drivers side tends to stick away from the car more than passenger side... anyone experience this?
thanks in advance
Now I don't have PS (stock gearbox), but it fit in perfect so no dimple! Yes, the drivers side does stick out more and you notice it while installing. But after that you don't notice it, and if you were walking by it you wouldn't notice it at all. Only you will know it does as you can't see both sides at once.
Old 08-29-2023, 09:56 AM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 387 Likes on 238 Posts

Originally Posted by stingrayiii67
Now I don't have PS (stock gearbox), but it fit in perfect so no dimple! Yes, the drivers side does stick out more and you notice it while installing. But after that you don't notice it, and if you were walking by it you wouldn't notice it at all. Only you will know it does as you can't see both sides at once.
thanks, I spoke with Borgeson yesterday and he said he has heard the same but no other details, the Borgeson box is a bit larger over the stock box, I also talked with Summit and absolutely no help at all, he couldn't help with Hooker vs Dougs, chrome vs ceramic and absolutely zero information on inserts... i was surprised at the lack of knowledge in their product information support team.
I am going Doug's ceramic with mid glass pack inserts, will install leaving original box in place to see how close and measure box size difference... dont want to fight header install.

Thanks again.
Old 08-29-2023, 11:00 AM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

You will probably need to dimple the pipes a bit to fit the stock steering box as I found on my car. One place at the box and one place by the pittman arm. I did a trial fit and marked it with a sharpie. Hit it with a large socket and a hammer is what I had to do. Not much denting required. The chrome was not obviously damaged in my case but ceramic might be another story.
Old 08-29-2023, 01:21 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

thanks, I spoke with Borgeson yesterday and he said he has heard the same but no other details, the Borgeson box is a bit larger over the stock box, I also talked with Summit and absolutely no help at all, he couldn't help with Hooker vs Dougs, chrome vs ceramic and absolutely zero information on inserts... i was surprised at the lack of knowledge in their product information support team.
I am going Doug's ceramic with mid glass pack inserts, will install leaving original box in place to see how close and measure box size difference... dont want to fight header install.

Thanks again.
I’m surprised you are going with the glass packs. I’ve always felt glass packs give the exhaust a “fluff” or softened tone at low rpm and a “rappy” sound under load/higher rpm.
The chambered exhaust gives you that deeper tone. I only have a low compression small block, but everyone thinks I have a big block!
Old 08-29-2023, 05:51 PM
stingrayiii67
Racer

Received 230 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by wwiiavfan
I’m surprised you are going with the glass packs. I’ve always felt glass packs give the exhaust a “fluff” or softened tone at low rpm and a “rappy” sound under load/higher rpm.
The chambered exhaust gives you that deeper tone. I only have a low compression small block, but everyone thinks I have a big block!
I agree chambered is the way to go!
https://youtube.com/shorts/Jrp3ELbe1...9AdiMGRF-vpr0b
The sound a WOT
The following users liked this post:
wwiiavfan (08-29-2023)
Old 08-29-2023, 06:26 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

I only settled on the glass pack insert as its the mid option and I couldn't get any info at all concerning inserts from Summit, frankly I want a deeper sound with less rap harshness... I would also prefer not crazy loud, now I'm back so searching inserts, hard to find sound bites.
thanks you, im gonna look into your recommendation
Old 08-29-2023, 06:27 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stingrayiii67
I agree chambered is the way to go!
https://youtube.com/shorts/Jrp3ELbe1...9AdiMGRF-vpr0b
The sound a WOT
ok... I'm looking at chambered now, thank you
Old 08-29-2023, 06:57 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

STS baffles are another option. Definitely different in a more raspy, sharp kind of way. Sorry, I don't have a clip of those but they are out there.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:27 PM
wwiiavfan
Burning Brakes

Received 454 Likes on 311 Posts

I only settled on the glass pack insert as its the mid option and I couldn't get any info at all concerning inserts from Summit, frankly I want a deeper sound with less rap harshness... I would also prefer not crazy loud, now I'm back so searching inserts, hard to find sound bites.
thanks you, im gonna look into your recommendation
Go back to post #29, that’s my ‘71 350 with (really old) Dougs and new Classic Chambered Vettepacks.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:28 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by stingr69
Classic Chambered vs Doug's inserts

STS baffles are another option. Definitely different in a more raspy, sharp kind of way. Sorry, I don't have a clip of those but they are out there.
thank you, I seen that video and frankly the Doug's glass packs sounded good, a bit more mellow, trying to stay away from obnoxious loud... recently had a Backdraft Cobtra which was a blast but too loud, I am looking into chambered and also the STS, when I get settled in this evening gonna search as many videos as I can, trying to balance between robbing power and too loud.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:32 PM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Go back to post #29, that’s my ‘71 350 with (really old) Dougs and new Classic Chambered Vettepacks.
yeah that sounds good and surely gonna flow better for my stock L48
Old 08-31-2023, 05:16 AM
Lawdog74
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Agreed....thanks
Old 09-01-2023, 03:02 AM
Lawdog74
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Can you tell me the brand and model of your pipes and the headers please?
Old 09-01-2023, 08:10 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 852 Likes on 677 Posts

Thanks again.
Thers a youtube video of a borgeson install on a car with sidepipes and even though the box is larger there was more clearance with the borgeson than the stock box. I have one but it hasnt been installed yet.
Old 09-01-2023, 09:35 AM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by Lawdog74
Can you tell me the brand and model of your pipes and the headers please?
I'm ordering Doug's D380 and D930 headers and pipes both in ceramic
The following users liked this post:
Lawdog74 (09-01-2023)
Old 09-01-2023, 09:45 AM
Golfobsessed
Burning Brakes
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
Thers a youtube video of a borgeson install on a car with sidepipes and even though the box is larger there was more clearance with the borgeson than the stock box. I have one but it hasnt been installed yet.
thank you, from all that I read and watch it's hit or miss weather Dougs, Hooker or OBX.
Between the differences in all corvette measurements as well as the header specs some fit right in no problems and some need to be dimpled at the steering box.
I am going to install the headers with the original box then see my clearance.

Quick Reply: Side Pipes