C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just A 1972 Twin Turbocharged LS3 (Street car) Build

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2023, 03:06 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

Received 65 Likes on 47 Posts

Default Just A 1972 Twin Turbocharged LS3 (Street car) Build

You read the thread header right. I'm taking a LS3, and a 4L80E putting two
62mm T3/T4 turbonetics turbos on it, and shoe horning it into a heavily modified body 72 C3 for the owner.
Now the thing with this car is, it will never be drag raced at the track, or
autocrossed. This car is a cruiser, and show car (he loves going to cruising the coast). So just some long burnouts,
and some 40 mph rolling burnouts in the future.

The car Has a very cool back story. It is a 1972 base model coupe,350 with quadrajet
(255 horsepower) and a turbo 400 transmission.
The owner of the car bought it new in 1972, (yes he is the original owner) then went crazy on the fiberglass mods.
The car has a I think has a It has a 74 front end,67 side louvers,69 side exhaust, ZL1 flares He also made the car into a hatch back!
The guy also made his own cowl hood. So he could remove the vacuum powered windshield wiper cover.. The owner is very mechanically inclined
but the level of fabrication need to do this swap was more then he was comfortable doing. so He ask me to take over.
This is 100% a restomod, all the P/S, P/W, Power door locks ,heat, and A/C, Gages, and entertainment center will work.
When he brought me the car it had a blue print 383 with a FI tech EFI unit (that never worked right). Fi tech is a great design but poor build quality( in my opinion) The A/C and heater don't work. I'll change that.
So the old 383/turbo 400 comes out, and the build is started.

I have read the stock 10 bolt rear end is going to be my weak link.
That's a problem I'm gonna have to deal with, If and when it breaks. I know there is a limited supply
of 3.73 12 bolt gears (A 12 bolt conversion my first choice).
There is also a Ford 9" IRS from ridetech (I think) So not the end of the world.
My son and I had the block, and rotating assembly washed, We had the block honed as there was no need to bore it.
New cam bearings, and a aluminum dog bone installed.
We gapped the rings for boost, and installed ARP hardware. The heads were rebuilt with new guides,
S/S Ferrea valves, and the springs, locks, and retainers that match the Texas speed stage 3 turbo cam.
We also did the AFN/VVt delete with a 3 bolt cam. All the standard stuff you do to to a gen 4 LS.

Sorry i don't have many pictures of the the short block,but it was a boring build.
Just a stock rotating assembly with new bearing, gapped rings, a good oil pump, stage 3 texas speed turbo cam,
and ARP stuff.Ill post updates and pictures on here as I go.

Here are some pictures to get us started on the project.

The old 383

Driver side

383/400 turbo out

Last edited by gearheadib; 03-24-2024 at 04:50 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by gearheadib:
Bikespace (10-15-2023), carriljc (04-18-2024)

Popular Reply

01-10-2024, 04:20 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

This is the car back before I got my meat hooks in it.
Old 10-14-2023, 03:14 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

The hatch back, and wide fenders
The hatch back
The following users liked this post:
interpon (01-28-2024)
Old 10-14-2023, 03:24 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

The long/short block

Back from the machine shop

had to degree the cam

A LS3 long block
lakebumm (10-15-2023), Tranz Zam (10-17-2023)
Old 10-14-2023, 03:41 PM
509 rat
Melting Slicks

Received 593 Likes on 302 Posts

Default boosted

keep the pics coming , I like boosted and non boosted and a big fan of flares too .

lakebumm (10-15-2023)
Old 10-15-2023, 05:33 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

changing the a/c evaporator core
52 years of grime
Old 10-15-2023, 05:54 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

Where do you plan to place the turbos?

No doubt you've seen @DblTrbl's (single) turbo thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...strip-car.html

There's not much room under a C3 hood for another turbo, though. Are you thinking of relocating the radiator? Or perhaps doing what this guy did:
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/t...nd-we-love-it/
interpon (01-28-2024)
Old 10-16-2023, 12:06 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace

Where do you plan to place the turbos?

No doubt you've seen @DblTrbl's (single) turbo thread:
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...strip-car.html

There's not much room under a C3 hood for another turbo, though. Are you thinking of relocating the radiator? Or perhaps doing what this guy did:
https://www.chevyhardcore.com/news/t...nd-we-love-it/
I have seen all the C3 turbo builds on the internet (I think) , I can find full on race cars with A/C, and the old banks Kits on the gen1 sbc that came in a C3. But I can't find anything like I'm building. I want it to look like Zora Duntov himself put a TT Ls3 in this car. You are right there is not much room under the hood of a C3. So I'm putting them under the car. and keeping the side pipes. And the hood will use all the factory hood hinges, and latchs.No pin on race hoods. so i can't move the radiator.

Last edited by gearheadib; 10-16-2023 at 07:28 PM.
Bikespace (10-16-2023)
Old 10-16-2023, 12:28 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,722 Likes on 2,947 Posts

This will be an interesting thread to follow.
Thanks for sharing!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:07 PM
Arg0413
Burning Brakes

Received 825 Likes on 418 Posts

You got my attention! This is going to be a cool build!
Old 10-16-2023, 10:23 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,166 Likes on 2,350 Posts

You could move the radiator if you placed it where the spare tire goes. You'd probably need fans running full time for that to work, though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your approach!
Old 10-17-2023, 09:29 AM
gearheadib
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
You could move the radiator if you placed it where the spare tire goes. You'd probably need fans running full time for that to work, though.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your approach!

So when the owner did the hatch back thing he used a camaro fuel tank with a license plate filler so the floor of the oem truok has been modified with no spare tire location. So there is no room in the back of the car for a radiator. Wishful thinking. I like the idea, but just no room back there. Besides I like stuffing ten pounds of **** in a five pound box.
Bikespace (10-17-2023), OldCarBum (10-17-2023)
Old 10-17-2023, 10:16 AM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by gearheadib
I have seen all the C3 turbo builds on the internet (I think) , I can find full on race cars with A/C, and the old banks Kits on the gen1 sbc that came in a C3. But I can't find anything like I'm building. I want it to look like Zora Duntov himself put a TT Ls3 in this car. You are right there is not much room under the hood of a C3. So I'm putting them under the car. and keeping the side pipes. And the hood will use all the factory hood hinges, and latchs.No pin on race hoods. so i can't move the radiator.
Have you considered (like Hotrod Jim with his C2) placing the turbo's in the area behind the front wheel wells and side gills?
Old 10-17-2023, 11:29 AM
gearheadib
Instructor

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Have you considered (like Hotrod Jim with his C2) placing the turbo's in the area behind the front wheel wells and side gills?
I have considered placing them there, but the evaporator core and A/C lines in and out of the factory A/C box are in the way on the passenger side. By the time you cram a turbo, hot Air in and out, cold Air piping, a air filter, and the A/C box there just no room. The driver side is no problem, lota room, but i need to make it symmetrical from side to side so placing them out in the fenders behind the front tires is not a option. There is a lot of room where the headers dropped down to go out to the side pipes. That's the space the turbos will occupy

Last edited by gearheadib; 10-17-2023 at 12:55 PM.
Old 10-17-2023, 01:52 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

I had to pull the dash to change the heater core. I will add some intellitronix digital gauges the owner supplied. The holley terminator X will run the tach, and I got GPS sender to run the speedometer. I love the old school mechanical drive tach and speedo. But you can't beat a tach that doesn't bonce, and a speedo you don,t have to calculate the teeth on the gear when you change tire size. I can,t believe it had a mechanical oil gauge. While i'm in here, I'm adding a shiftworks 4 speed gate and neutral safety switch so the 4L80E will work with the factory shifter. One of the first thing I did when i got the car was to add a vacuum pump and isolate the cars vacuum from the vacuum/boost the engine will make. That means I can run the vacuum pump and check All the vacuum operated accessory's.Like the head lights A/C and power brakes
Changing the heater core and gauges

intellitronix digital gauges

Last edited by gearheadib; 11-03-2023 at 11:42 AM.
Old 10-17-2023, 02:35 PM
roscobbc
Drifting

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I have considered placing them there, but the evaporator core and A/C lines in and out of the factory A/C box are in the way on the passenger side. By the time you cram a turbo, hot Air in and out, cold Air piping, a air filter, and the A/C box there just no room. The driver side is no problem, lota room, but i need to make it symmetrical from side to side so placing them out in the fenders behind the front tires is not a option. There is a lot of room where the headers dropped down to go out to the side pipes. That's the space the turbos will occupy
Understand the potential issues with a/c etc on the passenger side - even 'ordinary' Vettes are perhaps limited on header selection if running a/c.
Old 10-17-2023, 08:52 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

Originally Posted by roscobbc
Understand the potential issues with a/c etc on the passenger side - even 'ordinary' Vettes are perhaps limited on header selection if running a/c.
I guess that's why that header and side pipe was so low.
Makes sense
Old 10-17-2023, 10:24 PM
SteveG75
Le Mans Master

Received 527 Likes on 356 Posts

If you really want a 12 bolt 3.73, contact Gary (gtr1999) NOW. Believe he got the last half dozen Corvette 12 bolt 3.73 gear sets left (not the same as regular 12 bolts).

Read this thread for more info.
https://www.corvetteforum.com/forums...-the-line.html

BTW, Gary’s work is top notch. Been running a Toms 12 bolt 3.73 that he built behind my 496 for 10 years/20k+ miles.
OldCarBum (10-17-2023)

Get notified of new replies

To Just A 1972 Twin Turbocharged LS3 (Street car) Build

Old 10-17-2023, 11:39 PM
OldCarBum
Race Director

Received 4,722 Likes on 2,947 Posts

Look into a Vintage Air ac system.
It eliminates everything on the firewall and the new unit fits up under the dash on the passenger side.
It should solve the room problems you’re having.

Last edited by OldCarBum; 10-19-2023 at 12:03 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by OldCarBum:
leigh1322 (10-18-2023), Richard Daugird (10-18-2023), roscobbc (10-18-2023)
Old 10-18-2023, 02:10 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

Originally Posted by OldCarBum
Look into a Vintage Air ac system.
It eliminates everything on the firewall and the new unit fire up under the dash on the passenger side.
It should solve the room problems your having.

I have seen the vintage air system.But that just isn't in the cards. Besides the owner spent a lot of money to get the OEM A/C to work......So I'm going to build a set of headers and hang the turbos in the space the old header collectors occupied.
OldCarBum (10-19-2023)
Old 10-20-2023, 12:57 PM
gearheadib
Instructor

Ok so here is the engine all freshened up and clean. The front accessories are from ICT billet. and motor mounts are Dirty Dingo
The LS3
Alwyn678 (10-29-2023)

Quick Reply: Just A 1972 Twin Turbocharged LS3 (Street car) Build