C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quadrajet carburator part identification

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 02:08 PM
Chris Baxter
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default quadrajet carburator part identification

Hi All:
Apologizing in advance because I don't know the name of the parts, so doing my best to describe them.
Have a 1970 corvette SBC350 with a quadrajet carb. While driving, the acceleration got stuck. Looks like there is a mechanical issue at the carb, and I need help to identify what the part is (and what is does would be helpful, just for knowledge) so I can fix it.
So the throttle has a lever that sits on top of, and pushes down, a large-pin (see attached diagram), and also has a small thin-pin attached that leads into a rectangular housing. My car is missing this rectangular housing and the small thin-pin. The lever (see other attachment) is not sitting on top of the large-pin, but off to the side and is getting stuck against the pin that it should be pushing down. What are the name of the parts I'm missing (rectangular box and small-pin) and anything else??

Old 05-09-2024, 07:03 PM
69L88
Melting Slicks

Received 1,234 Likes on 771 Posts

Send a note to Lars at V8FASTCARS@MSN.COM.

Nobody more knowledgeable about Q-jets.
Old 05-09-2024, 08:55 PM
mbp
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

Hello. The larger pin works the accelerator pump and is needed. The lever should be on top of the large pin and not hanging up or slipping down the side. That lever that pushes the large pin down is help in place by a small pin, perhaps the pin is missing and allowing some play in the lever?
The small clip/wire that goes into the rectangular box in the first picture but not yours is not needed, don't worry about that one.. The clip/wire or whatever that goes into the rectangular box was connected to a rubbery flapper that would lift ever so slightly at idle. It was there to be another vent but I believe it was done away with by your year. That was because they made an effort not to release to many gas fumes to the atmosphere. there are other vents that do more than enough. What ever Lars says is correct and if different than me I apologize and ignore what I said. Good luck
The following users liked this post:
Sayfoo (05-10-2024)
Old 05-09-2024, 11:42 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,943 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Based on an e-mail received from the OP, I have sent him the following response and info:

"You have a hacked, commercially rebuilt carb that has been pieced together from several non-1970 parts and components. You are missing the bowl vent components, which have nothing to do with your problem, and they have bent and misaligned your accelerator pump lever. You also have at least a dozen other problems with that carb - it is a hack-job. See attached article about just a few of the problems your carb has."

Lars
The following users liked this post:
mikiemike46 (05-10-2024)
Old 05-10-2024, 12:11 PM
Sayfoo
Safety Car

Received 460 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by mbp
Hello. The larger pin works the accelerator pump and is needed. The lever should be on top of the large pin and not hanging up or slipping down the side. That lever that pushes the large pin down is help in place by a small pin, perhaps the pin is missing and allowing some play in the lever?
The small clip/wire that goes into the rectangular box in the first picture but not yours is not needed, don't worry about that one.. The clip/wire or whatever that goes into the rectangular box was connected to a rubbery flapper that would lift ever so slightly at idle. It was there to be another vent but I believe it was done away with by your year. That was because they made an effort not to release to many gas fumes to the atmosphere. there are other vents that do more than enough. What ever Lars says is correct and if different than me I apologize and ignore what I said. Good luck
I agree that the rectangular box on the carb was not on '68+??? model cars, so, nothing to worry about here.
The lever does indeed need to be on the top of the large pin (accelerator pump). It's normal to have a little wobble, but not enough to alow the lever to slide off the pin.
Perhaps you could bend/adjust the rod/linkage that is attached to the lever to get the lever aligned correctly.
And, you can shim the lever at the pivot pin to take out some of the wobble. Small C clips?? If not, you could remove the lever and bend it a bit to line up correctly. Do NOT try to bend the lever in place, as the ears of the carb that hold it in place are made of aluminum/pot metal, and could break off. This would not be good.
Removing the lever is a bit of a project, as the pivot pin is inserted from the out side and must be removed from the inside, out.
Seems that you have identified the problem, and now just need to fix it.
Old 05-10-2024, 04:00 PM
Chris Baxter
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Thank you

Thanks for all of the responses and advice. It's encouraging that some people will still take their time to help others, without anything in it for themselves.

I'm sure the carburetor, along with most of the rest of the car, has been fixed incorrectly throughout the years. Right now I'm just trying to keep it running, but at some point I hope to have the money and knowledge to fix it up correctly! I think I have what I need until the next problem arises (guaranteed within a month)
Thanks Again!

Old 05-10-2024, 10:55 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,943 Likes on 1,942 Posts

Originally Posted by Sayfoo
I agree that the rectangular box on the carb was not on '68+??? model cars, so, nothing to worry about here.
That's not correct. The bowl vent system, with the "doghouse" enclosure, was used up through 1970.

The 1970 350 auto trans carb looks like this:

If you have a 4-speed, the carb looks like this:

Lars

Last edited by lars; 05-10-2024 at 11:05 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To quadrajet carburator part identification

Quick Reply: quadrajet carburator part identification