C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Alternator issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2024, 11:49 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Will do I’ll post my part number with some pics here. I did learn how to solder and I know how i should probably start doin it. And LMAO yeah we all do but it’s still real good saves my butt a lot of money LOL
The following users liked this post:
carriljc (05-15-2024)
Old 05-15-2024, 11:00 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Hey guys got a good update here,

so i installed my new alternator and when i installed it i went to put my cable back on the battery, and i noticed the cable was a little grimy so i cleaned it of. Not fully since i could only scratch it with my keys left my wire brush at home. AND GUESS WHAT my headlights turned on. So if you’re reading this and are having problems with your electrics clean your battery cables right now.

Now for the issue I’ll attach a video of me conducting my test and of what i think the culprit may be. As you can see in the video when i rev my engine it doesnt charge my battery yes i know its low guys i had just went for a drive and it wasnt charging so it drained. The driving test and this little rev test both confirm that the battery is not charged by the alternator. And i know this alternator is good since i got it yesterday and tested it to make sure it was good, it passed. Now this connector looks real rough and im thinking this could be the problem but im not sure. If any of yall see weird stuff in the videos or another reason that it’s not working let me know please.

Thank yall so much,

Air_Drewdy

Old 05-15-2024, 11:44 PM
Bikespace
Le Mans Master

Received 3,247 Likes on 2,407 Posts

It might be as simple as your spade connector being wired backwards. Perhaps buy a new connector (they sell them at Autozone) and solder it on properly with heat shrink over the solder joint. Is your hood smashing the connector, or is it stretched? Does your alternator need to be "clocked" to keep that from happening?

But, how did your previous alternator ever work? Or didn't it?

Here's my alternator (a 150 Amp Powermaster).

Old 05-16-2024, 05:29 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Received 4,834 Likes on 2,912 Posts
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Modified
Cruise-In VIII Veteran

Just to back him up.
Here's mine.

140amp Tuff Stuff.
Plug is at approximately 10 o'clock when viewed from the rear.
Bikespace (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 05:32 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

And a close look at your connector.

That just wouldn't be on my car.
Also note the red and white wires in relation to the retaining clip on the connector.
Old 05-16-2024, 05:41 AM
4-vettes
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In VIII Veteran

I took a look at you video. Your lucky, I normally won't.
That Alternator is clocked 180 degrees out.
Here's a pic of my Alternator, correctly clocked for a Corvette.

Not the greatest photo, but you should get the idea.
Ground on the right viewed from the back. Plug roughly 10 O'clock. Mine is slightly lower. I have a long belt on it.
Factory wire holder clip. Seriously heavy main power wire.

Last edited by 4-vettes; 05-16-2024 at 05:48 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 08:46 AM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by 4-vettes
I took a look at you video. Your lucky, I normally won't.
That Alternator is clocked 180 degrees out.
Here's a pic of my Alternator, correctly clocked for a Corvette.

Not the greatest photo, but you should get the idea.
Ground on the right viewed from the back. Plug roughly 10 O'clock. Mine is slightly lower. I have a long belt on it.
Factory wire holder clip. Seriously heavy main power wire.

thank you for looking at my video. Yes it is not clocked properly, but as far as i know that would not effect the function? No matter where the plug power and ground are it should still work yes?
carriljc (05-16-2024)
Old 05-16-2024, 08:49 AM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

And alright i see yeah my plug may be on oriented wrong and the wires are just beyond old so i guess for my first attempt to fix it I’ll get a new connector. Thank yall
Old 05-16-2024, 08:51 AM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bikespace
It might be as simple as your spade connector being wired backwards. Perhaps buy a new connector (they sell them at Autozone) and solder it on properly with heat shrink over the solder joint. Is your hood smashing the connector, or is it stretched? Does your alternator need to be "clocked" to keep that from happening?

But, how did your previous alternator ever work? Or didn't it?

Here's my alternator (a 150 Amp Powermaster).

i think its just real real old to be honest with you. The old one did work as far as i know never offically tested it but didnt have electric problems like i do now so well see LOL.
Old 05-16-2024, 09:18 AM
augiedoggy
Safety Car

Received 880 Likes on 696 Posts

Originally Posted by Air_drewdy
Hey guys got a good update here,

so i installed my new alternator and when i installed it i went to put my cable back on the battery, and i noticed the cable was a little grimy so i cleaned it of. Not fully since i could only scratch it with my keys left my wire brush at home. AND GUESS WHAT my headlights turned on. So if you’re reading this and are having problems with your electrics clean your battery cables right now.

Now for the issue I’ll attach a video of me conducting my test and of what i think the culprit may be. As you can see in the video when i rev my engine it doesnt charge my battery yes i know its low guys i had just went for a drive and it wasnt charging so it drained. The driving test and this little rev test both confirm that the battery is not charged by the alternator. And i know this alternator is good since i got it yesterday and tested it to make sure it was good, it passed. Now this connector looks real rough and im thinking this could be the problem but im not sure. If any of yall see weird stuff in the videos or another reason that it’s not working let me know please.

Thank yall so much,

Air_Drewdy

https://youtube.com/shorts/3j5-GpY_M...gpQdjAMWkHMLWR

that connector was assembled by someone backwards.. I had the same issue on my car when I bought it. not sure how it even worked. I popped my pins out with a small screw driver and swapped them around no soldering needed in my case but yours looks rough.
Old 05-16-2024, 11:51 AM
carriljc
Le Mans Master

Received 930 Likes on 804 Posts

Which alternator did you end up getting? (Hopefully the 94 amp puppy?)
.....and, YES, Clean your battery connection terminals. Didn't even think of mentioning that. It makes a big difference. Terminal cleaners are cheap and well worth having.
Clean and tighten well.
Here you go... alternator plug and terminal cleaning brush:

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-..._0_0?rrec=true

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...=battery+brush

Last edited by carriljc; 05-16-2024 at 11:56 AM.
Old 05-16-2024, 01:27 PM
Air_drewdy
Instructor

Originally Posted by augiedoggy
that connector was assembled by someone backwards.. I had the same issue on my car when I bought it. not sure how it even worked. I popped my pins out with a small screw driver and swapped them around no soldering needed in my case but yours looks rough.
yeah more fixing someone else’s electrical dumbassery. I already got a new connector in the mail dont have the soldering stuff but ive got real good crimps and ill fray and twist em together to be real safe.

Originally Posted by carriljc
Which alternator did you end up getting? (Hopefully the 94 amp puppy?)
.....and, YES, Clean your battery connection terminals. Didn't even think of mentioning that. It makes a big difference. Terminal cleaners are cheap and well worth having.
Clean and tighten well.
Here you go... alternator plug and terminal cleaning brush:

https://www.autozone.com/electrical-..._0_0?rrec=true

https://www.autozone.com/test-scan-a...=battery+brush
well i was unaware LMAOOOOOO. I did get the 94 via your recommendation now i got nothin to worry about got this connector comin in hot gonna get er done. But yes you bets believe next day at work im buying a really really good terminal brush and cleaning the hell out of them. YALL are the best once i get this done next week ill post an update.

Thank yall for everything,

andrew mcmillan

Quick Reply: Alternator issues