C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carburetor question

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2003, 01:37 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carburetor question

I have the stock quadrajet carburetor on my 76 Stingray. I think it is getting to the end of its life span, so should I do a rebuild or just go get an edelbrock or holley? And if I did go get a new carburetor what I be looking at any significant power change?
Another question. I have the L-48 with an automatic tranny, but i put a 272 cam, headers, edelbrock intake, flows, and milled the heads when i did the rebuild on my engine. But I cant really tell that much of a change, should I have been able to tell a bid difference?
Old 03-01-2003, 02:14 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Default Re: Carburetor question (ill_driver)

Unless your original Q-Jet is actually damaged, it can easily be rebuilt to provide excellent performance. Do a good rebuild on it using good quality parts (I prefer Echlin components - NAPA), replace the float with a new NitroFill float, replace the choke pulloff, set everything up precisely, and bump your jet sizes up by 2 sizes for the mods you have. This should give you some very nice performance. If you're running the stock jetted carb with those mods you listed, you're running lean.
Old 03-01-2003, 02:26 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Re: Carburetor question (lars)

Karl, I would take the advice of Lars. When it comes to carbs he is the best that ever was.
Old 03-01-2003, 03:00 PM
ill_driver
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have never done a carburetor rebuild before, is it quite a task or is it not that big of a deal? Is there a website or book i can get for a walkthrough? THanks for the reply.
Karl
Old 03-01-2003, 06:01 PM
goinbroke
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Karl, go to this link then scroll down to "quadrajet". There are several good tech papers on quadrajet carbs. Most are courtesy of Lars. http://corvettefaq.com/engine.asp
Old 03-01-2003, 10:01 PM
lars
Tech Contributor
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: At my Bar drinking and wrenching in Lafayette Colorado
Received 4,924 Likes on 1,930 Posts

Karl -
If you get stuck on it, just send it out to me and I'll set it up for you. You can e-mail me for info:
V8FastCars@msn.com
Old 03-01-2003, 11:02 PM
PRNDL
Team Owner

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Karl -
If you get stuck on it, just send it out to me and I'll set it up for you. You can e-mail me for info:
V8FastCars@msn.com
This is an offer that is very hard to refuse!! :lol:

If you want to try it yourself, it really is kind of fun and very educational, I find the book by Doug Roe, "Rochester Carburetors", to be very helpful. He has very detailed step-by-step instructions WITH PICTURES that will guide you thru the process. I was a bit worried when I had the carb apart that I would never get it all back together, but with the instructions and pics it all went back together and I only had one or two unidentified parts lying around when I was finished!! :lol: MJ
Old 03-02-2003, 12:01 AM
redwingvette
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 138 Likes on 73 Posts

Default Re: Carburetor question (MNJack)

Send it to Lars. You will be very happy with the results. As far as yor question on what should you expect to see with the work you already did, you may not ahve noticed a lot because the gear ratio on cars from 70's where setup for highway driving and not get-up-and go. The 272 cam and heads will show the most improvement at top end speed; say 3500rpm and above.
Old 03-02-2003, 04:21 PM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Sounds like you should have a fairly powerful combo Karl. :eek: The carb is good place to start. lars would be my first choice. You can always buy a swap meet carb for pocket change and hit the books (plenty of good information on Q-jets) to learn at your own pace later. Next would be ignition systems 101 and I like the MSD theme. Finally choose the right stall converter if yours is an auto and steeper rear gear set - 3.70, 3.90, 4.11.
If thats a 272 duration cam your power range is at higher revs and forget about idling across parking lots. :lolg:

Get notified of new replies

To Carburetor question

Quick Reply: Carburetor question