C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end "thunk" warning

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2003, 03:09 PM
VetticusSupersonicus
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear end "thunk" warning

So about two weeks ago my car developed an odd "thunking" sound from the rear end when accelerating from a stop. I checked the forum archives and decided that a differential mount had worn out and that I would check it out soon. (Mistake 1.)

Two days ago I was driving home, turning left from a stop, when I heard the most awful "thunk" sound followed by a loud grinding noise. The car started to roll backwards and I heard metal dragging on the ground (later revealed to be a half-shaft). D'oh. So I shut it off and put the hazard lights on. A friend stopped a minute later and helped me move it to the side of the road. We called a tower with a flatbed truck.

The next day I jacked the car up to take a look. Sure enough, the flange which hooks on to the wheel & half-shaft is snapped clean in half. Part of the u-joint is also broken off in the flange, missing a cap. I figure that the cap came off two weeks ago and was causing the "thunk." I'm not sure about that though.

Luckily, I was just accelerating from a stop. I don't want to think about what might have happened had I been going down the highway. :blueangel:

Anyway, I got a replacement flange from the local Corvette shop and a u-joint from Canadian Tire and had it fixed up fairly quickly. There was no damage to other parts, thank God.

The old flange was being held on by 2 bolts instead of 4: two on one side and none on the other. Guess which side snapped off? :mad

I've learned my lesson though. From now on, I am going to thoroughly investigate any problems that pop up. I love my car, but I don't want to die in it.

Cheers
:cheers:
Old 03-16-2003, 03:37 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Rear end "thunk" warning (VetticusSupersonicus)

OUCH!

Yesterday I was underneath my car, looking at the new joints in the half shafts. I see that the left side flange from the shaft to the hub bearing is not quite all the way tight (the lock washer not compressed all the way ) :smash:

Now, I have been for months trying to figger out what is making this darn clicking sound left rear when I drive. Yesterday I thunk ... Hmmm this must be it! ... well I put an impact wrench on those bolts and now they are all tight. But the clicking sound is still there!@
:nonod:
Old 03-16-2003, 08:18 PM
joeveto
Melting Slicks

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In V Veteran
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: Rear end "thunk" warning (VetticusSupersonicus)

I had been hearing an odd whirring noise coming from under my hood. I figured it was my water pump. But just to be sure, before I pulled out of my drive, I popped the hood.

There was the alternator, resting against the valve cover, the belt was thrown, and the fan was at a standstill. HOLY....:eek:

My alternator mounting bolt had disappeared. The alternator fell and then, one thing led to another. Talk about lucky.

So as you said, never take any noises for granted. Investigate everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Rear end "thunk" warning

Quick Reply: Rear end "thunk" warning