C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 12:03 AM
nada
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor!

I won't mention the name of the vendor. I will tell you that I ordered a power brake vacuum booster hose. I expected a rubber molded hose that would support the engine vacuum presure need to power the power brakes. Instead, I received a 12 inch section of fuel hose, 3/8 inch SAE 30R7. That cost me 22 cents a foot at my local auto parts store. This vendor charged me $4.90 for this mis-represented product and I am very angry about it. I have sent them an email expressing my extreme displeasure. I seriously don't believe fuel line hose is safe to use for this brake vacuum system. Am I wrong about feeling this way? Thanks for letting me rant!

Rick in Tennessee
Old 04-19-2003, 12:10 AM
C3 Shark Tank
Safety Car

Default Re: Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor! (Rick Church)

Send it back. I needed a washer pump, what I got was a piece of junk they got off the rack at a local auto store, that was my last purchase from that vendor....it took them 2 weeks to send it too :mad
Old 04-19-2003, 12:10 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

As long as the inside diameter is the same, it should work; however, I would be pretty pissed too. These knuckleheads are always ripping us off. I need the rear spindle flange bolts, but I'll be darned if I am spending $12 for standard bolts. It doesn't make sense to screw someone for 4 bucks right now just to lose future potential business. This is one reason that I don't want an original Vette. The price of bits and pieces can start to outweigh the initial cost. I hope the vendor rights the wrong. Good luck
Old 04-19-2003, 12:15 AM
VegasJen
CFOT Attention Whore

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

rick, i think the fuel line hose will work. the braiding should prevent it from collapse but i understand your frustration. the only problem you have is whether the part sent is capable of performing the stated function. if it is, you simply overpaid for a part capable of performing the job it was sold to do. if it doesn't, then you could demand they take it back and pay for shipping (whether they do or not would be another question). just one of those lessons, i guess. live and learn. at least your not talking double or triple digits.
Old 04-19-2003, 01:07 AM
Crash Dummy
Safety Car

St. Jude Contributor

Rick,

I realize you are going for complete original, but are you specifically ordering OEM parts for your year vette? I will never again buy any kind of nut, bolt, wire, fitting or any other part from one of the Vette catalog places that I can get from a local parts store as that's where they really make their money selling overpriced stuff that comes in a little packet that says it is Original GM. I understand your side, but only a idiot would go to GM for a hose or a nut or bolt. Okay... I was an idiot a couple of times. :D
Old 04-19-2003, 01:27 AM
cardo0
Le Mans Master

Received 373 Likes on 356 Posts

Had bout same problem Rick. Found darn good booster hose at the local Cummings parts counter. :yesnod:
Old 04-19-2003, 01:37 AM
e3pres
Le Mans Master

St. Jude Donor '08-'09

Rick,
Check with Volunteer Products in Knoxville. (www.volvette.com) Talk to Adam up there. He is very knowledgable about Vettes, and he will be honest with you about what their parts are. Also, UPS ground gets you parts to you in one day from them since you live in TN.

Just my $0.02
Old 04-19-2003, 07:49 AM
Jughead
Senior Member since 1492
Support Corvetteforum!

Location: Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean people aren't out to get me...
Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Re: Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor! (e3pres)

Rick,
Check with Volunteer Products in Knoxville. (www.volvette.com) Talk to Adam up there. He is very knowledgable about Vettes, and he will be honest with you about what their parts are. Also, UPS ground gets you parts to you in one day from them since you live in TN.

Just my $0.02
:iagree: I've had great luck with them too! :yesnod:
Old 04-19-2003, 08:37 AM
nada
Racer

I agree with what you all say. However, I do buy parts locally, especially hardware. I am only into visually making my car look original. If something can't be seen or can be painted over, I go for local parts. I will check with VolVettes and thanks for the support!

Rick
Old 04-19-2003, 05:53 PM
theandies
Team Owner

Received 756 Likes on 525 Posts

Jim Shea should know about the hose question. I think that fuel line has the potential to get sucked shut if used for the brake booster. Page Jim I'm sure he can answer your question. I with the others on the vendor issue. Get some, if not all of your money back and go somewhere else.
Good luck
John

Get notified of new replies

To Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor!

Quick Reply: Got ripped bad by a major Corvette parts vendor!