C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OT; Would you accept a position of VP

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2003, 09:34 AM
Paul L
Team Owner

Received 93 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: OT; Would you accept a position of VP (Tominator)

I was in a senior management position for 12 years. Each such position is different but generally there are HR, political and time issues that can become vexing. And at the extreme lead to health and personal problems. In my case many weekends away from home on airplanes in places where I did not wish to be. A couple of HR problems that were no end of misery: it seems you can't dismiss employees any more. There was a lot of corporate time but little time for me. The work followed me home. There were many sleepless nights. Thank goodness I had strength in family to get through those times.

The last years in that position were h***. But I endured until I reached the age of 50 and had more than 25 years of service. One morning as I was falling out of bed exhausted once again, I said that's it, that's all! So at the age of 51 I retired with an indexed pension for life. My best five years for pension calculation purposes gives me a modest but adequate level of monthly income. I supplement that with term/contract work as I see fit. At the moment I have the summer to myself: freedom to do as I wish. That free time has a high value for me.

Back to the question. I would answer yes if you are looking for immediate and long-term financial security. I would do it again to get where I am today. But take a deep breath; it is either going to be a deeply satisfying move or a ticket to personal h***. My inclination would be to do your own references and sit down over a beer with the former incumbent and ask some blunt questions.

[Modified by paul79, 9:36 AM 6/5/2003]
Old 06-05-2003, 12:55 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT= FUN! I don't really "work", I just go to play with my toys! Those toys happen to meet the technology need of our college, but hey! I'm having fun doing it.

Tominator, I don't know if you are considering ever leaving, but frequent job(or position) changes in the IT fields are NOT looked at as job instability as they are with other occupations. Potential employers see you as a hot commodity that other firms want and are willing to lure you away.
On the contrary, too much time in the same position can mean that you are not being recruited by other firms beause they aren't impressed with your talent/accomplishments. Often that's not the case because you might be in a low profile position OR the firm you are with uses vendors that don't want to give the impression that they steal employees from their clients.
Some employers don't give second chances either. They want people who can be decisive. If you change your mind later and the opening becomes available again, you might be regarded as wishy-washy.
I'd say "go for it", it might be a few more hours initially, but I'm sure you'll implement some automated IT solutions to alleviate extra work hours for yourself. Also, with the extra money you'll be making from the job, you could pay pro's to do the work on your Vette that is either time consuming or something you didn't want to have to do yourself. If I was offered a higher IT position here (would take some major restructuring of our college) I'd jump on it!
Good luck!
:hurray:
Old 06-05-2003, 12:55 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IT= FUN! I don't really "work", I just go to play with my toys! Those toys happen to meet the technology needs of our college, but hey! I'm having fun doing it.

Tominator, I don't know if you are considering ever leaving, but frequent job(or position) changes in the IT fields are NOT looked at as job instability as they are with other occupations. Potential employers see you as a hot commodity that other firms want and are willing to lure you away.
On the contrary, too much time in the same position can mean that you are not being recruited by other firms beause they aren't impressed with your talent/accomplishments. Often that's not the case because you might be in a low profile position OR the firm you are with uses vendors that don't want to give the impression that they steal employees from their clients.
Some employers don't give second chances either. They want people who can be decisive. If you change your mind later and the opening becomes available again, you might be regarded as wishy-washy.
I'd say "go for it", it might be a few more hours initially, but I'm sure you'll implement some automated IT solutions to alleviate extra work hours for yourself. Also, with the extra money you'll be making from the job, you could pay pro's to do the work on your Vette that is either time consuming or something you didn't want to have to do yourself. Stress? You know us IT guys live to save the day!
If I was offered a higher IT position here (would take some major restructuring of our college) I'd jump on it!
Good luck!
:hurray:

[Modified by isosceles, 11:56 AM 6/5/2003]
Old 06-05-2003, 02:02 PM
J R C
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: OT; Would you accept a position of VP (isosceles)

I think you should always have a 5 year plan in any career move (although its NOT always possible in IT). I'm currently very satisfied in a much smaller company running all of their IT operations ... we've got file servers, ERP, RF & barcode stuff, lots of desktops, laptops & printers, remote employees, etc. Basically you can say that I'm the CIO as I report directly to the Pres of the company but because of its size they refrain from the Veep or CIO title (it only matters to those who REALLY need the title to feel better about what they do). I spent 25 years and was able to retire at a $5B company and then thought that a 30% raise and an even BIGGER ($30B) company would be worth it ... well those of you of you familiar with the burst of the tech bubble should know ... bigger isn't always better! Although I was able to find jobs (with other companies) for my entire team at the last company it's not something I'd like to do again. Being at a smaller company and being closer to where decisions are being made (and being part of the key management team vs. just another expendable div') is really what you should look for ... bottom line ... can you see yourself doing this out 5 years (and of course being happy). If you answer yes, then go for it, if not smaller CAN be more satisfying (at least in IT) Best of luck! :seeya

Quick Reply: OT; Would you accept a position of VP