C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Speedo cable in 79

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2003, 04:40 PM
L82-JWS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Speedo cable in 79

anyone have any experience they can share? I guess my major issue is getting cable off the back of speedo......looking for the correct procedure to do that, never been inside the dash. Any help is appreciated. :confused:
Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
groovyjay
Le Mans Master

Received 169 Likes on 91 Posts

Default Re: Replacing Speedo cable in 79 (L82-JWS)

Is your car auto or manual? Do you have Cruise control? It is more than likely that you have 2 piece cable, one coming from speedo to transducer and from transducer to transmission. The trickiest bit can be the speedo. If you are willing to remove the steering wheel it will give you more room to remove the speedo/tach panel, remember to remove the cable first from the transducer, this will allow you to pull the speedo panel further away and will give you more room to remove the cable. :cheers:
Old 06-09-2003, 04:45 PM
adamdinat
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Pull off the lower dash panel and remove the heating duct so you can see. There is a clip on the back of the spedometer. Pushing on the clip release the cable sheath. The new one will snap right in. Be sure to remember how the old cable was routed.
Old 06-09-2003, 04:46 PM
Pete79L82
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is a clip on the back of the speedo head. Push the clip towards the speedo and pull the cable and it will pop off. I only had to remove the trim panel under the steering column and the a/c duct to be able to reach mine. It is a little tight but you can get your hand in there. The new cable just pushes onto the speedo head until the clip clicks.

[Modified by Pete79L82, 3:47 PM 6/9/2003]
Old 06-09-2003, 11:52 PM
isosceles
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Replacing Speedo cable in 79 (groovyjay)

Do you have Cruise control? It is more than likely that you have 2 piece cable, one coming from speedo to transducer and from transducer to transmission.
Jay makes a good point. If you have cruise you can disconnect the one to the speedo and spin it manually. Have someone check to make sure the speedo registers a speed. My lower one(cruisemaster transducer to transmission) went bad. I think it's easier to change. I think my cruise transducer is giving out. keeps making rubbing noises.
Old 06-10-2003, 01:59 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 67 Likes on 53 Posts

Question: why do you want to replace the speedo cable?

If the speedometer is "bouncing around" it may only need lubrication. If you have a car with cruise control, disconnect the speedometer cable at the cruise control unit mounted on the driver's side inner fender. Two cables, one long that runs down to the transmission, and a short one that runs through the firewall into the speedometer.

You can use one of those graphite lubricants (Dri-Slide, etc) and dribble some of the lubricant down the cable sheath that goes to the speedometer, while spinning the cable back and forth to distribute the lubricant.

The long cable running down to the transmission will not spin as it is engaged with the gears in the transmission. You can pull on this cable and it will slip out of the transmission gears. Once disengaged it will spin and you can lubricate it the same way you did the other cable. To reengage the cable with the transmission, you will have to gently twist and push on the cable. Once the "flats" on the end of the cable line up with the "flats" in the transmission speedometer gear, the cable will slide back in place.
Old 06-11-2003, 08:20 AM
L82-JWS
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Replacing Speedo cable in 79 (mapman)

thanks for the advice......btw, since i have a 4 speed, i am assumming i have one cable from speedo to tranny. So, I will disconnect from both ends and lube. I do have the 'bouncing needle' problem as described......thanks :)

Get notified of new replies

To Replacing Speedo cable in 79

Quick Reply: Replacing Speedo cable in 79