C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5-port washer fluid pump

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 12:49 PM
green_with_envy
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 5-port washer fluid pump

I've been looking for one of these for a few days for a '70 Convertible, and everywhere I look it says C3's came with 3-ports. Anyone know anything about this? Was it a wierd option? Or is there a way to convert to the 3-port system?
Old 07-08-2003, 01:28 PM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (green_with_envy)

My 70 is original and it has a 5 port. It has the factory headlight washers on it. From what I understand, parts for these units are rare. Mine still works.... so I haven't been searching... just listening.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:31 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

5 port is correct for 70 and early 71. the 2 extra ports were for headlight washers.
Ed
Old 07-08-2003, 03:33 PM
green_with_envy
3rd Gear

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (ED DINAPOLI)

Eureka! Now, where can I get one without having to spend an arm and a leg for it? I saw the 3-ports only cost like $50.
Old 07-08-2003, 03:38 PM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like you can use the 3 post if you don't care about washing your headlights. Or try a 't' in 2 of the three posts. Or you could try to take the internals from the 3 post, or better yet an aftermarket one, and see if you can put them in the 5 post. No matter what keep the 5 post for future use/reference.

BTW 2 post for the windsheild wipers and 2 for headlights, what is the 5th for? inlet? :confused:
Old 07-08-2003, 04:17 PM
ED DINAPOLI
Drifting

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (Fevre)

Inlet is correct
Old 07-08-2003, 04:18 PM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump

I've been looking for one of these for a few days for a '70 Convertible, and everywhere I look it says C3's came with 3-ports. Anyone know anything about this? Was it a wierd option? Or is there a way to convert to the 3-port system?
Adam,

As Tom and Ed have already noted, the five port pump was standard equipment on 1970 and early 1971 Corvettes as standard equipment. The headlight washer system was phased out during 1971, but the various parts were discontinued at different times. One of the interesting effects of this procedure is that the five port pumps were used for a period of time after the system was no longer functional (the headlight washer nozzels were the first thing to go). As such, the factory used a "jumper" hose between two of the ports and used the other two for the wiper arm connections.

1969 Corvettes also used a headlight washer system, but the pump used a seperate solenoid operated transfer for the headlights; the main pump remained the three port type.

Eureka! Now, where can I get one without having to spend an arm and a leg for it? I saw the 3-ports only cost like $50.
Figure on $250 to $500 for a five port pump... People who have them generally know what they are and what they sell for. If you're lucky, you'll get the wiper motor as part of the deal.

Chris,

As far as your question, two outlets are for the wiper arms, two outlets are for the headlights, and the last is an inlet which draws fluid from the washer reservoir.

The "T" fittings that you suggested using will most likely not work... At least it generally doesn't during PVs that I have witnessed at NCRS events. The factory used a one way check valve which prevented fluid from flowing backwards as the pump cycled. 1969 Corvettes used one of these valves very close to pump itself while 1970-1971 Corvettes used two valves, one at each headlamp.

These check valves were used in other GM vehicles with headlight washers so you may be able to find a couple by hitting the salvage yards... I don't believe any vendor is currently reproducing these.

I doubt that a five port rebuild kit was ever available (if it was, it has been discontinued long ago), but if you already have a five port pump, you can use a couple of three port rebuild kits to rebuild it. There was an article in the NCRS Restorer magazine that detailed the process... I'm would imagine that copies are available.

Regards,
Old 07-08-2003, 05:11 PM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has never worked to my satisfaction, even after much tinkering, so I set it up as follows: I picked up a used plastic tank out of an early Subaru that was the right dimensions to fit in the original spot, and it has a pump built in. Then I gutted the 3-port valve mechanism so that it was just a flow through chamber. The power wire to the washer gets an extension and runs the pump when you push the washer button, and the water supply fits on the new pump. Voila!, constant stream as long as you hold down the button. Only down side is you have to wait a second for the door to open and the wipers to start before you push it. The tank is hidden, the washer hoses look original, and only an expert would detect the added wire, plus you don't get that silly pulsing and it never keeps pulsing when you want it to stop! :mad

Not original, but it would be easy for someone to restore to original if they wanted. Now the big question is, does that make me Bubba?

Hans
Old 07-08-2003, 06:27 PM
TNT
Burning Brakes

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (Rowdy Rat)

Hey Stan, as always a great explination! As of now the current market value for just the pump assy,NOS is around 350-400 bucks. There was a deal a couple of weeks ago on ebay, a fully restored motor and 5-port assy for a buy now of $375. I went back to it a couple of hours later to add it to the stock but someone got it. That was a deal. Thad
Old 07-08-2003, 07:20 PM
jyounane
Pro

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (Wrencher)

Almost exactly what I did!

I kept the stock washer bottle and used a separate pump removed from an aftermarket system, plumbed in near the bottle and wired just like Wrencher's.

Works fine :D
Old 07-09-2003, 09:48 AM
Tom454
Le Mans Master

Received 39 Likes on 26 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (jyounane)

Some 1970 Vettes didn't use a plastic reservoir... they have a weird bag arrangement hanging where the sun doesn't shine. There is no room for a reservoir in there... that's why they had to use a bag instead of a plastic reservoir. I suppose you could find someplace to mount a reservoir.... but the engine bay is pretty crowded. Mine has the bag.... looks like a water bag for desert travel circa 1890.

Wrencher... Bubba?? Nah. You just re-engineered it. NCRS ?? Nah. You flunk. :)

Tom
Old 07-09-2003, 10:54 AM
Rowdy Rat
Melting Slicks

Received 439 Likes on 257 Posts

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump

Some 1970 Vettes didn't use a plastic reservoir... they have a weird bag arrangement hanging where the sun doesn't shine.
Tom,

True enough for 1968-1972 cars (and probably continuing on for a few years after that). The bag style reservoir was used when the Corvette in question was equipped from the factory with air conditioning... Cars without air conditioning mounted the plastic bottle style reservoir on the right (passenger) side inner fender. Because this space was occupied by the compressor, hoses, POA valve, etc. when air conditioning was installed, the location was changed to under the left (driver) side fender, close to the firewall... And of course because this space was confined, a flexible bag was used in place of the rigid bottle.

For what it's worth there are two styles of bags used on the 1968-1972 cars, one with a long neck and one with a short neck. There is apparently no reason why one or the other would be required in production and their use overlaps... It is quite possible that they were provided by two different suppliers which would explain the variation.

Regards,
Old 07-09-2003, 11:45 AM
Wrencher
Safety Car

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Yep, mine came with a bag. I pulled the vaccum tank to put in the plastic reservoir in the same place.

Hans
Old 07-11-2003, 01:15 PM
green_with_envy
3rd Gear

Default Re: 5-port washer fluid pump (Wrencher)

Thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it. This weekend I should be able to rip the whole thing apart and take a look. This whole two job thing has been "wrench-prohibitive" so maybe both my Stang and dad's Vette can get a little attention!

My last question, could I use a pump from someone else that uses headlight washers, like a Mercedes? I realize that the hose sizes would be metric and I'd have to clamp them, and the connector would be different, but its just where power is sent to open and close the valves, right?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:41 PM
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the hoses to the headlghts but no nozzles. Is this common?
Old 07-11-2003, 01:44 PM
70BBvert
Melting Slicks

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Came across this as I was poking around on ebay. In case anyone is interested. I picked up a pump only about a year ago for about $150.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...tem=2423133581

Jim
Old 06-16-2015, 01:38 PM
egon48
Intermediate

Wilcox is selling repos 5 port for $180

Get notified of new replies

To 5-port washer fluid pump

Quick Reply: 5-port washer fluid pump