C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 09:06 PM
Wongsifu
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips.

Hi , Im a newbie to corvettes but experienced to japanese car tuning. After a few years i feel that modern cars tuning and all the rest of it isnt challenging anymore and i wanted to build a nice 69 vette up.
However due to registration laws in the country i cant import one and have it as a road legal car, since this was always my dream car i decided i would buy a beat up one and make a drag car out of it.
Now obviously i understand next to nothing about the special parts available for these cars , to me 16 different types of intake manifolds with different heights is just as boggling as the 12 different sizes of cylinder head and their different port shapes :confused:
However since i am determined (and ive ordered a couple of smokey yunicks books :D )
I would like some help as a starting point.
Being a bit of a purist i would actually like to build up a 427 original block stroke it to 496 and build it up from there . (as i understand it the 427 and 454 is the same block)
Now my expectations are a bit high , the most powerful cars in our country in the open drag racing category run around 10 sec 1/4 mile times , i think the fastest is 10.3 (all being japanese cars)
Now beating them isnt enough for me so i want to build a non blown or nitrous assisted motor.
Unlike everyone there who has some japanese super car with 100,000k worth of turbocharged goodness.
I figure 700bhp should do the trick, Now i dont think this is feasible on a 427 block without having to rebuild it every other run or risk cracking the block through power or oversizing.
To make matters simpler i looked into buying a merlin block and building it up, from what i see there all the other parts from intake manifolds to cams need to be from the same company , basically might aswell buy the whole motor , Which defeats the purpose of
a) me building it up
b) having a 1960's motor
So has anyone got suggestions what block i could buy and still build it up and withstand this sort of power ?

Any other suggestions are welcome.
THanks !!! :thumbs:
Old 10-03-2003, 09:39 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (Wongsifu)

I take it you want to build a big block Vette for drag racing only. YOu want it normally aspirated and run in the 10's to beat the turbo and nitrous cars in your country ?

You need about 500HP at the rear wheels which you could get out of a 427 or 454 especially since it will be cammed for the drag strip only. The motor will run 10's all day long and it won't need to be torn down every weekend either.

The bigger problem you will have running a Corvette C3 is the IRS ( Independant Rear Suspension ) whidh will require modifications to handle that power so you don't leave parts on the dragstrip.

I am not a big block guy, but there are plenty here that can tell you the heads, cam etc. that you will need. :D
Old 10-04-2003, 12:48 AM
MikeC
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (MotorHead)

:withstupid:
HP no problem.

IRS problem!
Old 10-04-2003, 01:04 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (Wongsifu)

Why do I think there's a :troll amongst us? This thread is wrong, just wrong, and that nic. When I get this feeling about a :troll , I'm NEVER wrong.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:13 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (GDaina)

Why do I think there's a :troll amongst us? This thread is wrong, just wrong, and that nic. When I get this feeling about a :troll , I'm NEVER wrong.
Wongsifu has been a member for 754 days.
Old 10-04-2003, 02:28 AM
GDaina
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (79VetteMike)

Wongsifu has been a member for 754 days.
And 7 postst....um...that tells me somebody has dual identities, in case of a ban, comes back as Wongsipoo
Old 10-04-2003, 02:37 AM
Wongsifu
8th Gear

Default Re: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips. (GDaina)

Dont worry im not a :troll
Thanks for the replies, Ive looked into back suspension, I would probably strip the car down and make it a tube fram and convert the back half to something else. Irs , is opposed to multi link ? rear suspension ?

Anyhow more on the block , I want to clear 10's run in the high 9's but if your talking about 550hp running 10's all day i would be looking at a little bit more than 550hp say 600-650. Do you think its worth investing in an aftermarket 427/454 block or would sleeving the stock one be ok ?
Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips.

Quick Reply: 427 , 454 merlin block ,help im confused drag racing and time slips.