C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headers

Old 10-23-2003, 04:51 AM
klwray
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Headers (klwray)

Thanks to all for the great advice. I will go with the coated Dynomax. 2.25 inch exhaust? This is another issue. Since I am not going to build this engine for a lot of HP, retaining flat top pistons, original 76cc heads, the compression ration will remain in the mid 8 range. My thought is a 2.50 inch exhaust may be overkill and in fact may hurt horsepower. With the cam upgrade, dual exhaust, 600cc carb and performer intake, I conservatively estimate about a 75 Hp increase over the lame 195 stock HP. I am open to suggestions from those more experienced. I do plan on having the H crossover pipe installed to help with low-end torque and smooth out the exhaust sound. Any thoughts? Again, my goal is a crisp running daily driver, not an asphalt burning road rocket.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:06 AM
Fevre
Race Director

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Headers (klwray)

If you are not seeking much more hp than 75 above stock I would skip the headers, the gain is proportional to the amount of hp your are running, the rams horns actually flow very well for a cast iron manifold and you will not have to deal with any headers seal leaks that can arise. Plus you can buy a dual exhaust system and bolt it right in, add the h-pipe for a little torq/hp down low. If in the future you decide you want to 'turn it up a notch' you can add the headers and make what ever other changes you want.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Fast81
Melting Slicks

Received 250 Likes on 160 Posts

Default Re: Headers (Fevre)

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

Given you're keeping stock piston/heads/comp, for only 75-100 hp boost -stick with rams horns and go with the MidAmerica true dual kit.
Old 10-23-2003, 10:13 AM
TedH
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 66 Likes on 53 Posts

Default Re: Headers (Rooster)

I bought my Hedmann's Jet-Hot coated, emissions legal for approx $500 shipped from Jet-Hot. Once upon a time, Jet-Hot offered a 10% discount to forum members; not sure they still offer it but worth asking. I think you had to 'ask for Mike or Mark'.

Very happy.

P.S. I discovered, you can't use the long oil filter with the Hedmanns. Gotta use the stock length filter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Headers