C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Steering column rebuild

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 01:03 PM
73sbvert
Le Mans Master

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 112 Likes on 72 Posts
St. Jude Donor '09

Default Steering column rebuild

Actually, I guess this is a callout to Jim Shea or anyone who has rebuilt (successfully!) their t/t steering column.

I just acquired a '78 t/t steering column to put into my '73. After watching other posts, I realized I could use the extra room provided by the later model column.

However, the column I got was a little bit worse for wear (read: previous history unknown!) I had planned on repainting/redying it anyway, but was not aware of all the work it would require.

I have it stripped down to the lock plate now, and was planning on at least replacing the common wear items (switches, levers, etc.) but I am wondering how much further I should go given limited work area/budget.

Is it much further to go to get a column rebuild kit with bearings and such, or should I just stick to the upper end and make sure nothing binds or grinds?

I guess I'm wondering if this is something I should undertake! I'm working out of my living room (I'm single, I can do this!) and I have read all of Jim's papers on the faq pages (VERY well written I might add!! Huge thanks to Jim!!) :thumbs: Doesn't seem like it is awfully difficult if I take my time??

Any advice out there??

Thanks,
Paul
Old 11-02-2003, 09:46 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Steering column rebuild (73sbvert)

Well, IMO, without a bench vice to hold it up by one mounting 'ear' with....and I stood on a cinder block....I cant see how to easily do it,.....not that it can't be done....frankly, you can do it all in the car easier than on a living room floor, IMO....getting that locking plate off is a bear....I cut a ~3 inch long piece of PVC or exhaust pipe with about an inch or two of the side cut out, making a crescent shape thing....then a plate/bar for the end...and using the locking tab and wheel nut in the obvious manner, you can force that locking plate down enough to get a pick in there and release that pesky locking/trapped snap ring thingy.....frustrating, but no other way to get to the guts and be able to renovate them....
it is the only bad part of the operation...that locking plate/snap ring....
the rest is relatively easy....

try a few beers and a good movie while working on it....

GENE
Old 11-02-2003, 11:00 PM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

I think that I would go by the old adage, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. I think that I would follow mrvette's advise and install it in your car and then conduct some quick checks to see if everything works or not. The 1978 column should bolt right into your Vette. If you have downloaded my T&T Disassembly and Repair Paper #1 make sure that it has a Last Revision date of 15SE2003.

This latest paper has a check for loose pivot pins, support screws, and lock shoes. You will need the column securely fastened in the car and a steering wheel installed in order to make these checks. This might key you into the fact that the column is quite good or it might lead you to have to perform major repairs.

Also I assume that you have read 77+ Steering column in older C3s. This is the very first paper in the steering section. When you have the column in the car, you will note that if you try and install the lower plastic cover under the column, the diameter of the 1978 column is slightly larger than the original column. The original plastic cover will not fit very well. I don't know if you can find a 1977 through 1982 lower cover and see if it can be adapted to your early C3 dash.

Old 11-03-2003, 07:51 AM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: Steering column rebuild (Jim Shea)

Jim, you know you for sure are right in that column diameter thihng....
I forget just exactly what I did to correct that problem, but I know I have a top half of the plastic cup shaped plastic housing just loosely fitting over my column, been there since '95 or so....it works...maybe not the BEST solution, but you know how kludges survive.....

GENE
Old 11-03-2003, 08:05 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

My neighbor has a 1977 C3 and I have a 1975. I had good intentions of going down to his house and unscrewing his plastic lower panel and taking it home and seeing if it would fit or could be adapted to my 75. But both his and mine are now in storage for the winter. So it looks like next spring before I can try to mix and match the lower covers.
Old 11-03-2003, 10:13 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Where can I download the paper?
Old 11-04-2003, 01:15 AM
Jim Shea
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: Steering column rebuild (Corvette ED)

Go to http://www.corvettefaq.com and look in the Steering section. Download the very first paper. 77+ Steering column in early C3s
Old 11-04-2003, 04:39 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,245 Likes on 1,036 Posts

Thanks!!!

Get notified of new replies

To Steering column rebuild

Quick Reply: Steering column rebuild