C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Computer in 81?

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2003, 03:16 PM
Jasonty
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Computer in 81?

Hey folks, I remember reading somewhere that 81 Corvette's have computers in them, is this true? If so, what does it control? Thanks in advance folks...
Old 11-04-2003, 03:32 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Computer in 81? (Jasonty)

All '81 engines has a carburetor with the "Computer Command Control" unit that originally came with the '80 LG4 305ci California only Vettes. The 1981 version automatically adjusts fuel mixture and ignition timing up to like 80 times per second.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:14 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Computer in 81? (Corvette_fetish)

All '81 engines has a carburetor with the "Computer Command Control" unit that originally came with the '80 LG4 305ci California only Vettes. The 1981 version automatically adjusts fuel mixture and ignition timing up to like 80 times per second.
:iagree: It also controls the smog pump valves, and the torque converter in an automatic
Old 11-04-2003, 09:47 PM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: Computer in 81? (stickboy)

:iagree: :yesnod:
Old 11-05-2003, 06:09 AM
UKPaul
Safety Car

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It controls the mixture on the primaries only & adjusts it 10 times/sec, based on coolant temp, throttle position, manifold vacuum & the O2 sensor readings. The secondaries work exactly as non-computer controlled Q-jets do.
:cheers:
Old 11-05-2003, 09:17 AM
cicch95
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Unmodified

Default Re: Computer in 81? (UKPaul)

Is it possible to and what effect would it have unplugging it?

-Rick
Old 11-05-2003, 06:39 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Computer in 81? (cicch95)

Yes, it can be unplugged, but that will trigger the Computer Command Control's imbedded satellite transceiver which will send an automated signal to General Motors and the Federal Environmental Agency notifying them of your breach of the 1981 environmental regulations by the disconnection of the unit. EPA agents will track your vehicle with the assistance of GM's On Star, and eventually a black Suburban with Government agents and GM officials will show up at your door, most likely at 1 AM, and take you into custody for interrogation. Your Vette will also be impounded, dismantled and combed for evidence. I hope you like bright lights in your face, because they will use them while pumping you for your reasons for disconnecting the unit. Once you crack they will take advantage of the opportunity to plant hypnotic suggestions that will reprogram you, turning you into a staunch environmentalist. Suddenly you will wake in your own bed, refreshed, and you will find that your Vette has been replaced with an "EV II", GM's prototype for it's next generation of electric vehicles. Oddly, it will never occur to you to question the change in transportation, and instead of going on cruises and to classic car shows with your Vette buddies, you will be content with spending your weekends hosting tupperware parties and going to "chick flicks".

I suggest you don't unplug it. Trade it for a '79 like mine.
Old 11-05-2003, 07:59 PM
stickboy
Safety Car

Default Re: Computer in 81? (cicch95)

-Rick
It is possible, but it won't run well. Your primaries will go to full rich, and you will have no advance. If you want to be rid of it you need to change the carb and distributor to non computer controlled versions. Plus if you have an auto you have rig up a switch to make the torque converter lock up.
Old 11-05-2003, 08:55 PM
SharkAttack
Safety Car

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Yes, it can be unplugged, but that will trigger the Computer Command Control's imbedded satellite transceiver which will send an automated signal to General Motors and the Federal Environmental Agency notifying them of your breach of the 1981 environmental regulations by the disconnection of the unit. EPA agents will track your vehicle with the assistance of GM's On Star, and eventually a black Suburban with Government agents and GM officials will show up at your door, most likely at 1 AM, and take you into custody for interrogation. Your Vette will also be impounded, dismantled and combed for evidence. I hope you like bright lights in your face, because they will use them while pumping you for your reasons for disconnecting the unit. Once you crack they will take advantage of the opportunity to plant hypnotic suggestions that will reprogram you, turning you into a staunch environmentalist. Suddenly you will wake in your own bed, refreshed, and you will find that your Vette has been replaced with an "EV II", GM's prototype for it's next generation of electric vehicles. Oddly, it will never occur to you to question the change in transportation, and instead of going on cruises and to classic car shows with your Vette buddies, you will be content with spending your weekends hosting tupperware parties and going to "chick flicks".

I suggest you don't unplug it. Trade it for a '79 like mine.
:lol: - Big Brother, is that you?
Old 11-06-2003, 11:14 AM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Computer in 81? (SharkAttack)

:lol: - Big Brother, is that you?
:jester
Old 11-06-2003, 12:28 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I thought the GM guys/Agents were driving Tahoes now. They get better mileage than Suburbans.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:31 AM
Master Ho
Racer

Yes, you will be content with spending your weekends hosting tupperware parties and going to "chick flicks".
WHILE WEARING A BAD TOUPE' (is there a good one?) :rofl: :lolg:
Old 11-07-2003, 01:26 PM
Corvette_fetish
Melting Slicks

Default Re: Computer in 81? (markdtn)

I thought the GM guys/Agents were driving Tahoes now. They get better mileage than Suburbans.
Silly, a Suburban holds more government bureaucrats and unnecessary GM corporate middle management than a Tahoe. The government is free to waste as many natural resources as necessary to prevent you from wasting them. :flag :chevy

[Modified by Corvette_fetish, 11:30 AM 11/7/2003]
Old 11-07-2003, 03:09 PM
markdtn
Le Mans Master

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well you can get 3rd row seating in a Tahoe, but you would not have as much room in the back for a mysterious black box. My mistake.

Get notified of new replies

To Computer in 81?

Quick Reply: Computer in 81?