C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2003, 07:16 PM
Lippy
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch!

Hi, has anyone every changed a drivers side door latch, and is this a major job? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Fuirst of all, how do i take inside door panel off? Where could i get a latch, if needed, and would this be exspensive? Please email me with your help, thanks
lippyscollectables@juno.com 412-384-6322
Bought car yesterday, and today latch is broke. My luck! :flag
Old 11-21-2003, 12:21 AM
mapman
Melting Slicks

Received 68 Likes on 54 Posts

Default Re: 1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch! (Lippy)

Welcome to the Forum.

The GM shop manual for your 1978 will have instructions for removing the door panel trim, lock, etc. You might search the archives for door locks.

I presume the door is open. If not then update this thread.

Not sure on a 1978, but on an 1980, you remove the inside door handle cover plate attaching screw and remove cover.

Remove the door lock ****.

Remove the arm rest by removing the three arm rest to inner door attaching screws.

Remove the screws retaining the remote mirror escutcheon, and loosen set screw to disengage mirror control cable from escutcheon.

If you have power door locks remove switch and disconnect wire harness at switch.

Remove three trim panel attaching screws.

Remove plastic liner by peeling along the edge at the adhesive bead.

-------------
Be sure to keep and reinstall the plastic liner!!

The locks on the doors can be a PITA as there is not much room to work.

The locks are available from several vendors but first try to clean and relubricate the lock. I had my lock soaking in kerosene for several days befor I got all the crud (technical term) off. I used white lithium grease to lubricate it and it works well.

As long as you are in there, take a look at the door handles. The opening mechanisms may be worn and should be replaced.

Old 11-21-2003, 12:23 AM
Double Aught
Race Director

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi, has anyone every changed a drivers side door latch, and is this a major job? Any help will be greatly appreciated! Fuirst of all, how do i take inside door panel off? Where could i get a latch, if needed, and would this be exspensive? Please email me with your help, thanks
lippyscollectables@juno.com 412-384-6322
Bought car yesterday, and today latch is broke. My luck! :flag
I hope you have smallish hands/fingers cause it gets tight inside that door. :nonod:
Old 11-21-2003, 05:37 AM
guppie
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
St. Jude Donor '08

Mapman covered it pretty well. If you're replacing the outer handle (which I just did about a month ago) You will need a set of small hands to put the one nut on. I screwed around trying to get it on for about 3 hours, wife came home (she has very small hands) and had it on in about 30 seconds.
So small hands are very helpful, it's not impossible without them but sure makes it easier :cheers:
Old 11-21-2003, 06:31 PM
feb18blacksunday
Race Director

Location: Boone NC home of 3peat National Champs ASU Mountaineers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
St. Jude Contributor

Default Re: 1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch! (guppie)

Got my aftermarket door latch for about 25.00 from Gary Dale at Gruhala enterprises. His phone is 636-586-3909 and he likes answering questions.

Get notified of new replies

To 1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch!

Quick Reply: 1978 Corvette Drivers side Door Latch!