C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TPS adjustment help needed-82 crossfire

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2014, 01:41 AM
Drawmain
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

http://www.ecklerscorvette.com/corve...1984-1991.html
Old 07-18-2014, 09:48 AM
terry82
Le Mans Master

Received 158 Likes on 144 Posts

they forgot all about the 82 s.now I feel like the red headed step child.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:20 AM
Scott0757
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Made my own..still having some surge issues

Was at the Syracuse Nationals last weekend and was able to buy a 3 pin connector pair at a swap/parts booth. Made my own test connector for $4. Worked great. I was close but not quite in range from setting it based upon sound/sputtering of the TBI.

Still not sure if I have other issues as I do get a surge/chug at time when cruising about 1800 to 2200RPMs.

Took off and cleaned the EGR valve and checked vacuum lines to the EGR and solenoid.
Should the EGR be a tight seal without the vacuum? I could pull air through it when it was supposed to be fully seated. Maybe the EGR needs to be replaced?
Thoughts?
Old 07-25-2014, 11:26 AM
TravisF
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Scott0757
Was at the Syracuse Nationals last weekend and was able to buy a 3 pin connector pair at a swap/parts booth. Made my own test connector for $4. Worked great. I was close but not quite in range from setting it based upon sound/sputtering of the TBI.

Still not sure if I have other issues as I do get a surge/chug at time when cruising about 1800 to 2200RPMs.

Took off and cleaned the EGR valve and checked vacuum lines to the EGR and solenoid.
Should the EGR be a tight seal without the vacuum? I could pull air through it when it was supposed to be fully seated. Maybe the EGR needs to be replaced?
Thoughts?
This may help, WINAldl. It's a free download, but the interface cable to connect your car to the laptop is a little pricey. The program and all its features does have a learning curve however, once you open WinAldl on your laptop and connect the cable from your car to the laptop, information about how your car is running is immediate. This is how I set my TPS and its right on the money.
Old 11-23-2014, 05:33 PM
Scott0757
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TravisF
This may help, WINAldl. It's a free download, but the interface cable to connect your car to the laptop is a little pricey. The program and all its features does have a learning curve however, once you open WinAldl on your laptop and connect the cable from your car to the laptop, information about how your car is running is immediate. This is how I set my TPS and its right on the money.
New TPS sensor did the trick....pricey tho at $70 at Adv Auto. But now my 84 is on the block....picked up a clean 87 2.5 weeks ago...under 46k miles..quite a difference in performance.
Old 01-25-2016, 04:47 PM
454Luvr
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 59 Posts

New TPS sensor did the trick....pricey tho at $70 at Adv Auto. But now my 84 is on the block....picked up a clean 87 2.5 weeks ago...under 46k miles..quite a difference in performance.

Holy Moley - that sensor is $132 at Eckler's!! I got one a few weeks ago at Rock Auto for $27, but haven't installed it yet. Hope it's not just a poor quality repro.

Glad you're getting everything fixed up. This is my first older car with TBIs, so every step forward feels like a big accomplishment.
Old 01-26-2016, 07:56 PM
Hot Rod Roy
Safety Car

Received 536 Likes on 453 Posts

Where can you buy one of those TPS jumper/test cable hanesses like pictured above. I search the usual places and can up empty....may have to resort to the safety pins and then TRV the holes when finished.
I just set the TPS on my '84 by sliding the test probes of my multimeter into the back of the TPS connector, right along side of the wires. No special connector needed, and don't need to pierce the wires. Bottom wire is ground, center wire is signal. Top wire is 5 v.

Quick Reply: TPS adjustment help needed-82 crossfire