C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

80 vett plug wire diagram?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2004, 04:31 PM
ferndog4
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 80 vett plug wire diagram?

Not sure if I screwed up distributor to spark plug order today. Does anyone have an HEI cap to plug wire diagram? thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 01:52 AM
Eric R
Instructor

Default Re: 80 vett plug wire diagram? (ferndog4)

Small block Chevy:

Remove the cap, line up the timing mark on the balancer (under waterpump). If the rotor contact is facing to the rear of the car then crank the motor over one more time and line up the marks. Note the rotor position (should point twords the front of the car) and make a mark with a magic marker on the distributor housing directly below the contact on the rotor. Install the cap and trace your mark up to the plug wire terminal. This will be wire #1. Clockwise as viewed from the top the order is 1-8-4-3-6-5-7-2. The cylinders are as follows: Drivers front (fan end of motor) to rear 1-3-5-7. Passengers front to rear 2-4-6-8. I assume you did not remove the distributor? If so then we will need to discuss this further as you could be 180deg off on the firing.
Old 01-25-2004, 03:55 AM
BSeery
Team Owner

Location: Exiled to Richmond, VA - Finally sold my house in Murfreesboro, TN ?? Corner of "Bumf*&k and 'You've got a purdy mouth'."
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CI 6-7-8 Veteran
CI-VIII Burnout Champ
St. Jude Donor '06-'10, '13

Default Re: 80 vett plug wire diagram? (Eric R)

Here is my "cut and paste" lesson on installing a distributor, firing order, and setting timing for an HEI.

Lucky you, it's from my 1980 Corvette -- enjoy !!
-------------------------------------------------

just look at my picture above. That is a view of the distributor from above. The front of the car is labeled, and you can see the orientation of the wire pack on the HEI distributor.
so, find your number one tower, then go down to where the cap meets the body of the distributor. Draw a line on the distributor body right under the terminal of the #1 terminal. Then when you have the cap off and are installing the distributor you want the rotor to point to that line when you have the distributor fully seated in the engine and the engine is set to top dead center. Know that when you are installing the distributor the rotor will turn as it goes into the engine, so you need to set the rotor ahead a little. If you did it right, the rotor will line up with #1 when installed.

HEI distributor correctly installed in car, front of car on left, viewed from drivers side. Note #1 terminal.

Under the #1 terminal make a mark on the distributor body. See black mark on distributor body, under the #1 terminal.
Now remove the cap.

Start installing distributor body in engine. Note that rotor is not pointing at the mark for number 1 on the body, but is turned pointing more at the fender. That is because as the distributor drops into the engine and the gear engages the cam gear, the rotor will turn. The objective is to have the rotor point to the mark for #1 when the distributor is FULLY SEATED.

As such.

If the distributor will not full seat in the engine it is most likely because the oil pump shaft slot is not lining up with the notch at the end of the distributor shaft gear. You will have to take the distributor back out and with a very long flat screwdriver turn the oil pump shaft. You need to turn it so when the distributor drops in the engine fully it lines up with the inside of the distributor shaft gear. This takes some practice.

If all is seated well the rotor should be pointing very close to the #1 mark when fully seated. If you have the crank set at 0 degrees timing it should point right at it. If you want to set your static timing, turn the crank to about 8 degrees before top dead center and then turn the distributor body so the mark lines up with the rotor. You will then be able to secure the distributor, install the cap, wires and fire it up. Time with a timing light after that.

Hope this helps.
Old 01-25-2004, 12:36 PM
ferndog4
Instructor

Default Re: 80 vett plug wire diagram? (BSeery)

Awsome guys!

Thanks for knowing exactly what I needed!
Old 01-25-2004, 04:27 PM
Paul Borowski
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 274 Likes on 160 Posts
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
Cruise-In VI Veteran
St. Jude Donor '08-'09-'10-'11-'12

Default Re: 80 vett plug wire diagram? (ferndog4)

Awsome guys!

Thanks for knowing exactly what I needed!
You can ONLY get that kinda help RIGHT HERE!!! No, it does'nt get any better than this. :cheers: BSeery :thumbs:

Get notified of new replies

To 80 vett plug wire diagram?

Quick Reply: 80 vett plug wire diagram?