C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

E Brake Improvements?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2004, 04:14 PM
Taijutsu
Drifting

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Default E Brake Improvements?

What can be done? My e brake is almost useless. It would be nice to be able to park on a slope w/o rolling. Help!

Rick
Old 04-06-2004, 04:24 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Default Re: E Brake Improvements? (Taijutsu)

Sorry man, there is no hope, the purchase, and leverage of the small drum brakes are NOT able to handle the car weight and large tires....it's not happening...bad design from the git go.....there are other cars with disc rear brakes and special mechanical calipers which will lock the rotors, but they seem to be maintanance nitemares from what I seen....

rear disc brakes make an ebrake allmost silly....frankly the requirement should be eliminated....

GENE
Old 04-06-2004, 05:03 PM
ejr76
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: E Brake Improvements? (mrvette)

:iagree: I've had two c3's and the eb never worked on either one.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:14 PM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Mine work for some reason :confused: I replaced the originals with stainless and all stainless parts, lubed the cable up good, and they work! I will have to admit they are about the most ridiculous part on the car though. After the install is complete they must be "burnished" which consists of riding the e-brake while you are traveling. If you need the procedure I will be happy to post it, please let me know. I still don't think I would trust them on a hill without doing the uphill or downhill park thing though. :cheers:
Old 04-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Tex71BB
Burning Brakes

I put all new SS hardware in mine and they barely worked. Sometime after that, I had to replace the rear rotors and guess what - they work great now. I think the "drum" part of the rotor was just worn out and I couldn't adjust the shoes enough to take up the slack.

Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 PM
corvtt1969
Pro

Default Re: E Brake Improvements? (Tex71BB)

mine works on relatively flat roads :D
Old 04-07-2004, 12:15 AM
79VetteMike
Melting Slicks

I removed mine, and have contemplated trying to retro-fit one that is mounted to the rear of the driveshaft.
Old 04-07-2004, 12:18 AM
Grinchia
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: E Brake Improvements? (Big Fish)

Quote:

-________________________________________ _______________________
Mine work for some reason I replaced the originals with stainless and all stainless parts, lubed the cable up good, and they work! I will have to admit they are about the most ridiculous part on the car though. After the install is complete they must be "burnished" which consists of riding the e-brake while you are traveling. If you need the procedure I will be happy to post it, please let me know. I still don't think I would trust them on a hill without doing the uphill or downhill park thing though.
________________________________________ _______________________

Mine is utterly shot...I un-siezed and lubed things when I replaced the rear rotors and calipers a couple of months ago, adjusted the little star wheel as much as I could manage,and snugged up the cable beyond the max...still no holding whatsoever. I just ordered a SS kit, and when it comes I'll take a deep breath and replace all the hardware (heard it is a real pain though...). If you have any handy tricks, by all means post the procedure, I'll be tackling it soon!

-Roy
Old 04-07-2004, 12:46 AM
Big Fish
Safety Car
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Cruise-In 5-6-7-8-9-11-12 Veteran
A CI-6 Car Show Winner

Default Re: E Brake Improvements? (Grinchia)

My best advice to anyone doing this procedure would be to combine it with a rear wheel bearing inspection and re-pack. The e-brakes are really easy to do with the spindles removed, but are a total PITA :cuss :mad :cuss to do with the spindles in place (all though not impossible).

Get notified of new replies

To E Brake Improvements?

Quick Reply: E Brake Improvements?