C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What music system do you have in your C3

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2004, 02:15 PM
cryzko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3

two 10" w6v2 jl audio in a custom fiberglass box
6", 4", tweet jl audio
chrome pp1 2600 for the subs
chrome 6600 for mids and highs
dvd/cd/tv head unit.....not purchased yet
2 power caps and an extra battery

cryzko
Old 05-11-2004, 03:08 PM
Toy4Two
Safety Car

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (Stoge)

Hooker sidepipes :smash: Best tunes in the world :)
Old 05-11-2004, 04:10 PM
Corvette ED
Le Mans Master

Location: Pottsville, PA. USA Home Of America's Oldest Brewery Yuengling
Received 2,243 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (Toy4Two)

I have the stock AM/FM/Stereo that I had converted to digital.
Old 05-11-2004, 11:31 PM
kaiserbud
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (Jay M)

JM - any pics on the kickpanels and details?

Also - I am thinking of deleting my dash speakers (4x6) if I cannot get them to fit when I go back to using the stock horizontal dash brace. Any comments on deleting the dash speakers or making them fit with the brace are appreciated.

[Modified by kaiserbud, 10:32 PM 5/11/2004]
Old 05-12-2004, 01:59 AM
Jay M
Drifting

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (stingray4me)

ok,

My goal was awesome sound and a completely invisible system. More important than quality of music was quantity of music.

Here's a brief rundown of what I have for a stereo:

I wanted XM radio and MP3. CDs would have been nice, but I couldn't find a good place to put a player. I didn't want a cd changer.

My origional design was to use a modified stock radio that has RCA inputs. Then use an a/b switch to input XM or MP3 into the head unit, and then use speaker level out into a good amp to power a sub and speakers.

As you can imagine this sounded like crap! Line out converters work very well on new cars, but it didn't work well at all with my radio.

Now the expensive stock radio does nothing more than provide 12v to trigger the real system.

The first thing I installed was the front speakers:

They are CDT HD-42's they are a very high end speaker that are somewhat less expensive than some bigger name speakers. They sound very good but the 4" woofer is a compromise. The crossovers are hidden behind the passenger dash panel.

the next thing to build was the control center. I used a convenience console from Corvette Pacifica. I was going to build my own, but this was almost perfect and looks almost stock.

Notice the small black ****. That is the system volume ****. It is the MVC from audio control. The idea is that you can mount the small pot anywhere and run a very small phone cord to the actual box that controls volume. It has 6 ins and 6 outs to acommidate very large systems. I have this component between the DQX EQ and the amps. I wanted the digital EQ to always have full volume from the sources.

This is the control for the XM comander, and the little inline remote for the Iriver MP3 20gig jukebox. The Jukebox itself is stored in the center rear compartment that has a lock so i don't have to worry about it walking away.

The "sub box" was a huge job for me. It might be easy for a real craftsman or engineer, but there was a lot of math and measuring involved! The sub box needed to be a specific size to sound right, but it also needed to take as little space as possible, and the top needed room to go up and down! I started with a cardboard box and kept cutting it 'til I got it the right size.

this provided a place for the Amp, volume controller, and most of the wires.

Here it is in place. I purposely left the DQX exposed so it could be adjusted easily. Audio Control now make a remote for it. I wish I had it then so the DQX could be hidden also.

As you can see the sub is completely exposed also. If I find a grill that looks good I'll use it, but for now I'll just be carefull what I but near it!

I am really fond of fine woodwork...therefore I saw no reason to put carpet on the back wall.

Here's an overview shot of the interior. Notice the stock kick pannels fit over the front speakers and it is hard to tell that there is a nice stereo in the car.

Just for fun I like to leave the head unit in the AM position:)

Overall I am very happy with the way it turned out. The only things I don't like are:
1- the controls in the armrest are very difficult to see while driving
2- the remot on the iriver is difficult to navigate. I should have just placed an iPod right in the armrest
3- the 4" main speaker aren't quite perfect. But 5" or 6" would have been a PITA to install and would make an already cramped footwell even worse.
4- 3" exhause produces a TON of bass! In order for the system to overcome it I would need to run it at dangerous SPL! Right now it will produce about 120db with very little distortion. I think I would need about 140db. That is a dangerous SPL for any amount of time.

A stock exhaust and a lot of dynamat would make a huge difference.

But a good stereo isn't my primary goal. though it is an essential element!

~Jay
Old 05-12-2004, 03:53 AM
Turbo-Jet
Melting Slicks

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (stingray4me)

i know nothing of car audio...

can some suggest some good reference material? online, books, mags?
Old 05-12-2004, 11:19 PM
Cookwithvette
Burning Brakes

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (Turbo-Jet)

It isn't specific to car audio but it does touch on it.... The Loudspeaker Design Cookbook by Vance Dickason. LDC is a GREAT beginner's book for understanding speakers. I got my copy at http://www.partsexpress.com and they have a good selection of other books too. Everything from home theater, hi-fi, to car audio.
Old 05-13-2004, 10:03 AM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Default Re: What music system do you have in your C3 (GrandSportC3)

Pioneer SuperTuner 3 with CD player and 500W amp. 4x6 plates in dash and 8x10's built into the rear wall. Still have full use of the storage area and the amp is mounted vertically behind the wife's seat. She's short enough to have the seat up a notch or so from being slid all the way back. Doesn't bother her at all!

Last edited by SanDiegoPaul; 10-16-2010 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:48 PM
MrMagic
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Default 81 Corvette Sound system

My system is 17 years old and still sounds great, Sony head unit, 10 disc changer, bazooka tubes driven by a separate power amp, 4 speakers in the stock location driven by a separate 4 channel amp and guess what? i'm probably the only guy out there still using an EQ but it sounds awesome.
Old 10-16-2010, 10:38 AM
Birdman
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Retrosound Receiver
Hidden Polk Audio Speakers
Old 10-16-2010, 11:02 AM
damoroso
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I went with a Pioneer Elite series head and speakers. Three ways in the dash and in the back. I also went with a Kicker sub and 300W amp. I like the head because I can use my iPod or a Satelite reciever with it, along with the ususal AM/FM/CD. The sub woofer box had to be a particular size though (and with options limited like in all our cars), I built what you see in the pics.

Old 10-16-2010, 12:45 PM
SanDiegoPaul
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Originally Posted by 1LE
Factory AM/FM stereo
Mine's out in the garage along with the amp/widget/whateveritis that was connected to it from under the passengers' side of the dash.

Currently using a Panasonic stereo head with single CD, coupled to a 500W amp placed vertically behind the passengers side seat.

8x10 Speakers Vertically mounted in the far back recessess take up no space that was useable before:

Old 10-16-2010, 01:14 PM
SEVNT6
Le Mans Master

Received 1,836 Likes on 831 Posts
2023 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2022 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified
2020 C3 of the Year Finalist - Unmodified

A vintage 1978 Alpine cassette. Six watts, no preset stations, and I think I paid around $350 bucks for it......

Plus installation..........
Old 10-16-2010, 01:35 PM
whitehause
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, old thread but I'll bite.
Custom 68 big block
Alpine head with flip-out 7" lcd dvd with PSII game system, alpine blackbird gps,samsung Q1 touch screen laptop with bluetooth Internet access,audiobahn amp with kenwoods up front, and alpine subs in back.

68 small block

Stock am/fm
Old 10-16-2010, 02:29 PM
7T3C3TTZ07
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Vinyl is hot again. Maybe the 8-tracks will make a comeback. I bet the NCRS folks like them.

I use an iPod with an iTrip played through the original AM/FM radio with aftermarket speakers. Not very elegant but it works. I wouldn't have space to store CD's anyway.
Old 10-17-2010, 09:12 AM
MrMagic
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

Sorry guys but i'm a newbee! how do I post a pic of my stereo system?
Old 10-17-2010, 09:24 AM
johnmb
Racer

Sidepipes and 10.5:1 468 CI engine

Get notified of new replies

To What music system do you have in your C3

Old 10-17-2010, 11:21 AM
LeSkid
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In a previous life, I used to do a lot of big, custom audio installs but I don't want to touch the stock AM/FM stereo and speakers in this 'original' 76. Fortunately, we're tech-spoiled these days... I have a simple application in mind that I'll throw together over the winter.

My Blackberry is also my MP3 player so I always have my entire music collection in my pocket. And it has bluetooth A2DP stereo audio streaming. This is great because I have bluetooth hands-free in my helmet for taking calls while riding the bikes. The bonus is that this allows my blackberry to be playing tunes in my pocket while the sound is pumped into my brain bucket while riding.

In my 2 'regular' cars, the stereos are modern with excellent sound quality so I just bought a motorola T505 (AWESOME little gizmo) bluetooth adapter that plays the tunes on my blackberry through the stock stereo - no wires or installation. I clip them to the sun visor.

The original '76 stereo in the vette is a little weak for my taste so this is not a solution. But again, I don't want to modify anything.

So a clean, simple get-up will be to have a couple of boxed 6X9s in the back with a discrete, small amplifier, to which I'll connect an A2DP bluetooth receiver dongle. Give it accessory power from the cars' 12V and you're done.

So instead of installing a new stereo head unit, like in my other cars and bikes, my blackberry will be the 'stereo'. While driving, my passenger or I can do what we always do: pick a song, artist, album etc... and click 'play'. No wires, remotes, non-original pieces in sight and like I said before, my entire music collection is in the car... and not a single CD or CD case cluttering things up!

EDIT: no AM/FM on the blackberry so if I want to listen to news / weather / traffic, I'll turn on the good ol' stock stereo

Last edited by LeSkid; 10-17-2010 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-17-2010, 01:12 PM
Mewn
Pro

Received 49 Likes on 33 Posts

I went with a Kicker amp/speaker system and a double din touch screen.

Last edited by Mewn; 10-18-2010 at 01:24 AM. Reason: Pic size
Old 10-17-2010, 03:06 PM
kmobrien76
Racer

Factory AM/FM stereo in my C3...

Some 15 years ago I had a 10 or 12" in the hatch of my Camaro, that solobaric was outstanding!

At first I thought how can one sub do much, I need two, I was wrong that solo was nuts!!!!!

Kevin

Originally Posted by gsfgf
Kicker Solobarics are supposed to be incerdible. I have Kicker CVRs and they're excellent, but the Solobaric is a better sub, so you would probobly be very happy with one 10" instead of two 12" like i have.

Last edited by kmobrien76; 10-17-2010 at 03:13 PM. Reason: ..

Quick Reply: What music system do you have in your C3