C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Finally got her running.......PINGING!

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2004, 07:34 PM
noblejr
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got her running.......PINGING!

I finally got my engine back together this past week. I had removed the intake manifold to paint it, and I put a rebuilt water pump on, set the timing and everything. There is now a rhythmic pinging coming from the front of the engine. I don't think it's the fan, I've checked it's clearance about 4 times now, but it sounds like a fan blade tapping metal. There are 3 pings that reapeat themselves, PING..........PING ping............ It dosen't sound like it's coming from inside the engine but I may be wrong. I'm about to go cut up a hose and listen through it to try to pinpoint it. Does anybody have any insight into what this noise may be?
Old 07-12-2004, 08:48 PM
Ron 75 L48
Melting Slicks

I'm certainly no expert on this but it sounds like maybe the "rebuilt" water pump may have a bad impeller on it. Just a guess but at least this will give you a bump up to the top.

Ron
Old 07-12-2004, 08:51 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Pulley is probably hitting the pump at some point usually near the top
Old 07-12-2004, 10:54 PM
noblejr
Advanced

Well, I cut a piece of hose and as I held it up to my ear and begin to probe around for the source of the sound, it quits. I keep searching for a bit and as I finally give up and take the hose away form my ear, PING.....PING!. But it stopped pinging right after that and hasn't done it since. I now think it may have been the pully hitting the pump. Now that I think about it, I did re-tension my alternator belt at some point today. Maybe it was able to pull the pully off center just a hair. Thanks for your replies.

Get notified of new replies

To Finally got her running.......PINGING!

Quick Reply: Finally got her running.......PINGING!