C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who here can lock up their brakes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 01:47 PM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I'll have to give hydraboost a try. I wish Mrvette would chime in because I believe he has it done the cheap way, off another vehicle. I think Norval has that as well though.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Scooter70
Le Mans Master

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

No power brakes, HD pads, braided lines, VB calipers, Valvoline Max Dot 3/4 fluid and I can lock all 4 up if I stomp on the pedal. I personally like the feedback from the manual brake setup.
Old 07-15-2004, 01:58 PM
Pete76Shark
Racer
Support Corvetteforum!

Default I can lock mine

after I installed the Hydraboost that is, one foot, little effort and they lock tighter then a clams a@@
Old 07-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Wendell Allen
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So I'm not the only one here with poor brakes? Not comforting. That said, my system is completely stock with a rebuilt booster. And although I really have to stand on 'em, I can lock all four up. I've had three sharks over the years, and I haven't had one I couldn't lock up.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:14 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

It is my opinion, and I might catch some heat for it, but if you can't lock your brakes, something is wrong!! The amount of pedal pressure required to accomplish this will vary greatly depending on whether the system is manual, vacuum boosted or fluid boosted but bottom line is if you can't do that, don't waste your money on brake upgrades till your system, in stock condition, can do just that. Then if you like the feel of a power pedal (I don't) then and only then is it a wise choice to upgrade to a power assist type system.

Craig

Last edited by VetteNut72; 07-15-2004 at 03:16 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:19 PM
Pauld
Melting Slicks

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can lock mine up ok with no problems
Old 07-15-2004, 03:21 PM
SharkPilot
Instructor

My '69 will lock them up whenever I ask it to. Not that I make a habit of it. My brakes are stock with the exception of Vette Brakes sleeved calipers with OEM pistons, seals, boots and pads.

Old 07-15-2004, 03:32 PM
mrcorvette79
Advanced

Original master cylinder, VBP O-ring calipers, Stainless steel lines and Hawk HPS pads and pairs of black marks on the road whenever I want.
Old 07-15-2004, 03:54 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Received 71 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by VetteNut72
It is my opinion, and I might catch some heat for it, but if you can't lock your brakes, something is wrong!! The amount of pedal pressure required to accomplish this will vary greatly depending on whether the system is manual, vacuum boosted or fluid boosted but bottom line is if you can't do that, don't waste your money on brake upgrades till your system, in stock condition, can do just that. Then if you like the feel of a power pedal (I don't) then and only then is it a wise choice to upgrade to a power assist type system.

Craig
I agree! But it sure seems like a lot of guys (like me) have trouble locking them up with stock systems in (supposedly) good repair. I'm definitely hearing more positive words from 77+ people though. Maybe I should start a poll.

I guess if I just absolutely stood on them, I could get them to lock. But it doesn't seem like I should have to do that. I'm used to cars like my Integra and Stealth where I could lock up the tires at will with just one foot applying moderate pressure. In fact, the bigger challenge in those cars was not to lock them up.

Last edited by wcsinx; 07-15-2004 at 04:22 PM.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:01 PM
VetteNut72
Pro

Originally Posted by wcsinx
I guess if I just absolutely stood on them, I could get them to lock. But it doesn't seem like I should have to do that. I'm used to cars like my Integra and Stealth where I could lock up the tires at will with just one foot applying moderate pressure. In fact, the bigger challenge in those cars was not to lock them up.
Are your brakes power or standard? If they are power and you can't get them to lock without applying excessive pedal pressure, then you most likely have a problem somewhere in your brake system. If they are manual, then it will take some pedal force to lock but not an unreasonable amount.

Craig
Old 07-15-2004, 05:18 PM
mrvette
Team Owner

Received 223 Likes on 204 Posts

Schmucker, I have not done anything about the booster section of my brakes, but in fact they will not lock the wheels, and I been trying to get them to be that powerful, but using DOT 5 fluid, and stock hoses means that even with the truck master cylinder, and shortened pushrod to the cylinder, they still do not lock up.....

I dunno what to do next, I too can't see from the diagrams why exactly, the booster could be at fault....the pedal will go to the floor if I put enough size 13 brogans on it....but not lock up....plenty of pedal travel, but not overly...brakes feel like a typical GM car, soft and mushy....never had one that didn't....

HOses?? not the calipers, been all OVER them over the last ten years....O ring, no springs...not much runout either....

I even tried removing the pressure differential switch/distrib block, ala Norval suggestion....no improvement, in reality, but a small leak was fixed....more like a weep from the switch section....

so the question is....can anyone specifically ID just HOW that vacuum booster can cause this 'lo pedal, squishey' feel???
and exactly what a hydroboost can do to fix the problems....

GENE
Old 07-15-2004, 05:31 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Are your brakes power or standard? If they are power and you can't get them to lock without applying excessive pedal pressure, then you most likely have a problem somewhere in your brake system. If they are manual, then it will take some pedal force to lock but not an unreasonable amount.

Craig
They're power. I know I'm not the only guy (e.g. Gene) to have this situation. Everything appears to working just the way it should. I have no air, solid pedal, functional booster, good MC, new flex lines, etc. But I just can't lock 'em up.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:33 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by mrvette
I dunno what to do next, I too can't see from the diagrams why exactly, the booster could be at fault....the pedal will go to the floor if I put enough size 13 brogans on it....but not lock up....plenty of pedal travel, but not overly...brakes feel like a typical GM car, soft and mushy....never had one that didn't....
Exactly, it's a solid link all the way through the booster. I can't explain what was happening to the two guys who claim a bad booster made their pedal sink to the floor.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:35 PM
zwede
Race Director

Received 336 Likes on 257 Posts

As I said earlier, I had the same problem and it was the booster. In my admittedly limited experience (sample size of 3) rebuilt boosters are junk. New boosters are available from GM. Under $200 from gmpartsdirect last time I checked and they work.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:36 PM
aharte
Drifting

Mine 74 locks up fine, and I have pretty sticky tires. I think the only thing done to my system is braided brake lines, and I doubt that affected much.
Old 07-15-2004, 06:11 PM
camaroneil
Racer

i'll let ya know tomorrow when i slam the pedal down,
neil
Old 07-15-2004, 06:43 PM
MotorHead
Race Director

Location: Who says "Nothing is impossible" ? I've been doing nothing for years.
Received 156 Likes on 126 Posts

Craig
I have to agree I will go one step further and say I wouldn't drive the car if you couldn't lock them up, I could lock up parents '63 Rambler

Get notified of new replies

To Who here can lock up their brakes?

Old 07-15-2004, 07:22 PM
wcsinx
Team Owner

Originally Posted by MotorHead
I have to agree I will go one step further and say I wouldn't drive the car if you couldn't lock them up, I could lock up parents '63 Rambler
Hey man, I already concurred. I could lock up my '67 Jeep, and it didn't even have vacuum assist. So at the risk of just replacing random crap, maybe I'll just spring for a new booster and MC. *sigh*
Old 07-15-2004, 09:03 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Schmucker
Hmm, I'll have to give hydraboost a try. I wish Mrvette would chime in because I believe he has it done the cheap way, off another vehicle. I think Norval has that as well though.
I am pushing the hydraboost unit's not the company. I had hydraboost long before I came to this forum or the company started up in business. Around here the local wrecking hards sell the unit for $20-$50 complete units. And regardless of what anyone says there are lots and lots of good used units out there. Just because they come from the wreckers doesn't mean they are junk.
Anyway the last unit I got was from a 94 one ton truck and it was in perfect shape, no rust, no leaks and I could have everything I wanted to go with it.
Also the original plate works great and only a shortening of the linkage is required. I used the stock NON power master cylinder but it needs slight modification.
Anyone wanted to do a little work on their own can have hydraboost for about $150CDN with lines IF you do the slight modifications to the unit and made up the lines at any hose shop.
Old 07-15-2004, 11:38 PM
MN-Brent
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

-Rebuilt power booster -Cardone
-New MC
-VBP O-ring caliper conversion from almost new SS sleeved calipers
-New OEM type pads
-New rotors
-Braided stainless flex hoses

Most of the brake hardware was new when I bought it but brakes were still bad due to bad power booster. I tore it all down and redid everything, omly adding the VBP Oringers, braided hoses. and the power booster. Tried the gravity method to bleed, but didn't get a solid pedal until I did the pump and hold method.

Can lock 'em up on demand now. Pedal is super solid too. Guess I got lucky with a rebuilt power booster. Had these now for over 2 years (3rd summer)

Brent...

Quick Reply: Who here can lock up their brakes?