C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

need help with a 1977 corvette

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2004, 02:23 AM
Mattro2003
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need help with a 1977 corvette

my friend just got a 1977 vette and its really nice but it has a couple of small problems that we are wanting to fix.....

first problem is the cruise control....we checked the vacuum lines and they are all hooked up and the cable itself is hooked up but yet it will not engage.....we also checked the fuse and its good....is there something else within that system that could be messing it up?

the other problem is that his reverse lights come on in neutral instead of reverse....we pulled off the side panel on the console and saw that there is a metal box infront of the shifter....is that what controls the back up lights and neutral safety switch?

any help would be great

thanks!
Old 08-13-2004, 03:40 AM
Schmucker
Melting Slicks

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes, those things one the side with two wires going to each are your neutral safety switches and reverse light switches. You'll have to make sure the reverse one is aligned properly. As I was tinkering on my '77 I noticed that the cable that goes to the cruise control vacuum thing has like a chain thing, similiar to what'd you find on a keychain, connecting the cable to it. Mine was broken. Went to the hardware store and get a couple of couplers and a little length of the chain stuff and put it together. I never use cruise, but it's nice to know that's there. No idea if that fixed it, but it might be something to check. You'll have to slide the boot off to see what I'm talking about.
Old 08-13-2004, 04:14 AM
hunt4cleanair
Safety Car

Received 716 Likes on 464 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattro2003
my friend just got a 1977 vette and its really nice but it has a couple of small problems that we are wanting to fix.....

first problem is the cruise control....we checked the vacuum lines and they are all hooked up and the cable itself is hooked up but yet it will not engage.....we also checked the fuse and its good....is there something else within that system that could be messing it up?

the other problem is that his reverse lights come on in neutral instead of reverse....we pulled off the side panel on the console and saw that there is a metal box infront of the shifter....is that what controls the back up lights and neutral safety switch?

any help would be great

thanks!
Too often the transducers are bad and simply need to be replaced. You didn't state mileage or age but if you vacuum lines are good and you know your speedo cable is working properly...than try the transducer.

Get notified of new replies

To need help with a 1977 corvette

Quick Reply: need help with a 1977 corvette