C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Distributor Removal Question

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 04:27 PM
Rich80
Pro

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Distributor Removal Question

Gentlemen. Is it necessary to have the engine sitting at top dead center to remove the distributor. As long as I leave the rotor sitting at the number one position, mark the distributor and manifold, should it matter if the number one piston is at top dead center as long as I don't move the crank when the distributor is out? I dont plan on doing any other work to the engine but removing the distributor and replacing it when its fixed. Thanks....
Old 09-23-2004, 04:31 PM
Jack71
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope that'll work. I always end up having to re-align the oil pump with a long screwdriver though.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:53 PM
Smokin Joe
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack71
...re-align the oil pump with a long screwdriver though.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:43 PM
stingr69
Le Mans Master

Received 1,050 Likes on 813 Posts

You can pull the distributor at any position. I like to put a piece of masking tape on the fender to show where the rotor was pointing before you remove it. Another piece to show where the advance canister was pointing too. Then you can drop it in and the timing will be close enough to run until you can get the timing light on the tab.

-Mark.
Old 09-23-2004, 08:49 PM
norvalwilhelm
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by stingr69
You can pull the distributor at any position. I like to put a piece of masking tape on the fender to show where the rotor was pointing before you remove it. Another piece to show where the advance canister was pointing too. Then you can drop it in and the timing will be close enough to run until you can get the timing light on the tab.

-Mark.
I agree with Mark. The distributor can come out anyplace, I rotate the motor until the rotor is pointing to the firewall. I then line it up and mark the firewall with chalk/tape. I then scrib a line on the housing and the intake manifold, a good mark so when I reinstall the distributor this mark lines up with the one on the intake.
Pull the distributor, do not turn the motor over and when putting back put back so when the marks line up the rotor is pointing to your mark/tape on the firewall.

Get notified of new replies

To Distributor Removal Question

Quick Reply: Distributor Removal Question