C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radiator advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 07:54 PM
greenarrowfl
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radiator advice

I need some advice about installing a new radiator in my '82 coupe. I bought a max cool radiator (4-row core) to replace the stock radiator (3-row core). As it turns out, the new one is a good bit thicker than the original and won't just slide into the space between the cooling fan/radiator shroud and the crossbar above the condenser. I'm thinking if I can remove the cooling fan, I can fit the new radiator in. There is plenty of room in the radiator frame for the bigger radiator, it's just getting it in there that is the problem. Should I attempt to take the cooling fan off to get this in? I had no big problem getting the old radiator out and subsequently putting it back in, but I'm not an experienced mechanic and I don't really know what I'm getting into with removal of drive belts and the fan. Thanks!
Old 09-23-2004, 10:33 PM
AlwaysWave
Le Mans Master

Cruise-In III Veteran

It's easy to do, just remember how things came off and reverse it for assembly.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:01 PM
Red_Shift
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pictures pictures pictures

Take lots of photos. I have a few thousand of my car documenting the restoration. They're priceless when it comes to putting things back together.
Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 PM
greenarrowfl
3rd Gear

Thanks guys, I'm going to try it tomorrow. Y'all may be hearing from me
Old 09-24-2004, 09:37 AM
Steve's74
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Removal of the engine belts and fan will help. You may also find that removing the radiator core support upper bolts (four) and loosening the lower bolts (where it bolts to the frame) will allow you to rotate the core support slightly to the front of the car, allowing easier access. Don't push it very far if you have A/C, since you can crush the condensor fins on the parts up front.

As Red_Shift says, find a digital camera and snap a bunch of photos before and during the process. Take it slow. If you get frustrated or stuck, stop and leave it alone for a while. It's a fairly simple, straightforward procedure, and you can do it.

Steve
Old 09-24-2004, 08:11 PM
greenarrowfl
3rd Gear

Thanks for the advice guys! That got r done! I ended up swiveling the core support and taking out the auxiliary fan (that has never worked since I have owned the car) and shoehorning the radiator in. It's a tight fit, but it fits! I also removed the smog pump, which also has never worked, to make room, and decided to just leave it off. If it hasn't worked in a long time and now it's off the car, that's not going to cause problems, is it?
Old 09-25-2004, 02:04 AM
djunod
Racer

It's a little too late now... but this is useful information for anyone thinking about doing this... it would have been better to have gotten a DeWitt or Be Cool aluminum radiator.

I did the same thing you did, 2 years ago... now I'm replacing the 4-row with a DeWitt.

Get notified of new replies

To Radiator advice

Quick Reply: Radiator advice