C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Lost in paint...

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2004, 05:38 PM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Default Lost in paint...

Hi guys. I've been preppin my '78 for the past month or so for paint. My first intention was to strip it all but my dad said I'd be better off just sanding the current paint since the body is in good shape (paint was faded). So thats what I did...sanded the whole car down with 180 grit, filled the tiny cracks/holes that showed up and got everything real smooth.

So this afternoon I head to the paint store and ask for primer. So the guy asks me what kind of paint was on the car and since I don't know I told him it was laquer or enamel which were normal in that time. (btw, the car is 2 tone and was repainted at least once)[EDIT] Thought about it and it must be enamel cause I used thinner to remove sticker glue and the paint wasn't affected[EDIT]. He then tells me I need to strip it down to the gel coat cause no 2 component primer will work on that... so I tell him I'll do so and still need the primer so he gives me a 4:1 grey urethane primer with catalyst. Its a noname brand so I ask him if it will react well with dupont basecoats (thats what I'm going with) and he says it doesn't matter, it'll work with any basecoat.

So what gives? Is he right? must I strip the car down? Its all smooth and nice right now...begging for primer. Oh and some other guy told me I need to put something special (can't remember) on the primer before the basecoat cause of my paint choice (dark metalic grey) or else I will see through the paint.... ?

Anyway... really not impressed by the paint companies... why is this so complicated? sheessh... Thx for the help guys, I know you'll make it all clear for me!

Last edited by Lohkay; 09-24-2004 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-24-2004, 06:02 PM
turtlevette
Melting Slicks

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
St. Jude Donor '03,'11

sounds like BS to me.

There are many types of primers and sealers out there that you should be able to find something to cover enamel or laquer and paint the car with urethane or whatever you want.
Old 09-25-2004, 10:52 AM
Lohkay
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

tt. won't be able to work on it this weekend..
Old 09-25-2004, 03:37 PM
cw823
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by turtlevette
sounds like BS to me.

There are many types of primers and sealers out there that you should be able to find something to cover enamel or laquer and paint the car with urethane or whatever you want.

You have to use the correct primer if you're not sanding down to gel coat, as certain primers will permeate the old paint and cause it to bubble down the road. I would get a second opinion, preferably from someone that physically paints cars....not just that works at a paint store.

I am doing the same to mine. about halfway through sanding the body with 180....will have some small areas to glaze. I have not yet bought primer (not ready for it), but will in the next month. 4 coats of primer....sand it smooth.....and ready for paint in the spring!
Old 09-25-2004, 04:58 PM
LFZ
Team Owner

Received 310 Likes on 227 Posts

If your are for sure certain that its enamel, i'd shoot it with a good sealer, and start spraying base. There is no true gelcoat on factory C3 bodies, so that part is not an issue...in my opinion, if you want a nice clean paint job, strip it down to the fiberglass, do your body work, and prime with epoxy and go from there.
Old 09-26-2004, 06:50 AM
Chuck Gongloff
Race Director
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 565 Likes on 350 Posts

I'd strip it to bare glass too. I'll mention one thing that every painter I've spoken to has said, and that is NOT to mix and match products and companies.

If you're using PPG...use every and all PPG products, sealers, surfacers, primers, and color coats. Don't use some "generic" primer/sealer. Don't use another company's primer with yet another company's color coat. Chuck
Old 09-26-2004, 10:12 AM
comp
Team Owner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Get notified of new replies

To Lost in paint...

Quick Reply: Lost in paint...