C3 Tech/Performance V8 Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine, Basic Tech and Maintenance for the C3 Corvette
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Brake Install

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2004, 09:33 PM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Parking Brake Install

I need to install a complete parking brake system on the 72 and can't find any pics, diagrams etc on the subject. The cables are here, but I don't have any actuating hardware/shoes on my car. I've bought all stainless and need to see how to install.
Thanks Guys
Eddie
Old 10-25-2004, 11:43 PM
68/70Vette
Team Owner

Received 550 Likes on 377 Posts

I think you can find a discussion at corvettefaq.com about how to install them. Also there's been some previous threads on this forum discussing "how to...."

I bought a set of the stainless steel parts from Mid-America and they sent along an illustration showing how the parts fit. I bought a set lately from Stainless Steel Brake Corp. and there was no instruction,illustration, etc. (However, whenever I've had questions about installing their stuff, they've been very responsive both by telephone and E-Mail.)

Since the emergency brakes parts fit between the stub axle flange and the cast iron bracket for the disk brake caliper, it's difficult to work in that small space. I think one key bit of knowledge is that one of the little springs has to be installed compressed. People who describe this operation compress the spring with dental floss, and when in place they use an X-acto knife to remove the floss. You're going to need some long needle nose wire pliers.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:10 AM
62fuelie
Melting Slicks

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

There was recently a link posted on either this forum or the C1/C2 forum with instructions and pictures for replacing the brake hardware without removing the spindles. It's a real PITA, but probably less PITA than removing the spindles.

Check posts for the last week or so on both forums. You'll probably be able to find it.
Old 10-26-2004, 12:13 AM
68BLUEVETTE
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I used tie wraps to compress those springs. I was fighting for about an hour until I did that. I may be able to snap some pictures if you want. Mine is partially dissasembled, so I can put it back together piece by piece and take pictures along the way for ya. Not sure if I am going to have the time to do it this weekend or not though.
Old 10-26-2004, 08:34 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Thanks for tthe replies guys. It's hard to figure out how to install everything when there's nothing there!!
Eddie
Old 10-26-2004, 09:14 AM
Van Steel
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 49 Likes on 25 Posts

On both sides you have the pins that come through. One side you can hold it with your finger and the other side can be a nightmare. You caliper mounting bracket will have a divit on 1 side where the pin goes. Fill that divit by folding up a little piece of paper or something and tape it down. Than set your pin on it and put the backing plate over top. This will save you lots of time.

I hope you didn't get the SS parking brake shoes. They are arched wrong and you will have to sand down most of the pad to allow the rotor to be installed. Using new GM style shoes are your best bet. Hope this helps.
Old 10-26-2004, 02:17 PM
Chris@VetteFinders
Platinum Supporting Dealership

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great diagram!
Old 10-26-2004, 02:23 PM
Twin_Turbo
Race Director

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The easiest way to get those springs & lock cups over the anchors is to either tie the spring down w/ a wire and after install burn the wire or get a spring tool for it
Old 10-27-2004, 08:08 AM
Edzred72
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Van Steel

On both sides you have the pins that come through. One side you can hold it with your finger and the other side can be a nightmare. You caliper mounting bracket will have a divit on 1 side where the pin goes. Fill that divit by folding up a little piece of paper or something and tape it down. Than set your pin on it and put the backing plate over top. This will save you lots of time.

I hope you didn't get the SS parking brake shoes. They are arched wrong and you will have to sand down most of the pad to allow the rotor to be installed. Using new GM style shoes are your best bet. Hope this helps.
This diagram is priceless!! Just what I needed. Thanks so much. BTW...I did buy GM shoes. Heard the stainless were trouble.
Eddie
Old 10-27-2004, 08:28 AM
Van Steel

Old 10-27-2004, 08:32 AM
theoUK
Pro

Lucky I just read this thread - I was getting ready to order the S/S shoes. Change of plan, then!

OK, so the SS shoes are dubious, but what about the SS spring and hardware kit? Any views?

To be honest, putting in SS shoes might be overkill anyway- I guess just the stainless springs and hardware kit would suffice, being as that's where most of the rusty pivots/interfaces would occur in the stock setup.

Mind you, there's "stainless" and then there's "stainless"- - who knows what type I got in the SS hardware kit I've just bought. The quality looks ok, and the similarity to the stock pieces is fine. I guess it's just a matter of time, to see how "stainless" those bits really are!

Old 10-27-2004, 11:31 AM
Van Steel

I actually used to manufacture all the SS parking brake hardware. You wil have no problems with it. Everything is within spec to original. I just wouldn't do the shoes. There is a new guy making them also out of TX but I'm not sure on his quality. Haven't seen them yet. Just heard some things.
Old 10-27-2004, 01:26 PM
theoUK
Pro

Cool, I respect your advice!

Glad I happened on this thread now. Saved a few dollars aswell.
Cheers!
Old 02-15-2013, 09:24 AM
Don Lind
6th Gear

Thanks for posting the video on YouTube... Putting the top spring on last made all the difference in the world for me. So much easier. Thanks again!

Don

Originally Posted by Van Steel
I actually used to manufacture all the SS parking brake hardware. You wil have no problems with it. Everything is within spec to original. I just wouldn't do the shoes. There is a new guy making them also out of TX but I'm not sure on his quality. Haven't seen them yet. Just heard some things.
Old 02-15-2013, 11:22 AM
Easy Mike
Team Owner
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 1,470 Likes on 1,249 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Originally Posted by Chris@VetteFinders
great diagram!
Yes it is. Makes it look like a piece of cake with no hub in place. With the hub in place, you play peekaboo with everything.

Get notified of new replies

To Parking Brake Install

Quick Reply: Parking Brake Install